PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adam leaves offer on table - Herald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think positive thoughts and tell local businesses who use AV to advertise their product how you never would have found them if you hadn't recognized AV in their advertising. :D[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry Box, gotta draw the line here. Just can't see myself running into the local Papa Gino's, throwing my arms up yelling touchdown, and continue to say to the manager that I wouldn't have found out about him w/out AV, and still be able to maintain a straight face! :D

PatsChick87 said:
I'm sorry Box, gotta draw the line here. Just can't see myself running into the local Papa Gino's, throwing my arms up yelling touchdown, and continue to say to the manager that I wouldn't have found out about him w/out AV, and still be able to maintain a straight face! :D
Sigh, you champagne and caviar gals...:p

Last edited:
parcells said it best about AV last week-
"If he's smart he'll stay [in New England]. He'd be Bobby Orr and Carl Yastrzemski and John Havlicek. That guy's done a lot."

Box_O_Rocks said:
Sigh, you champagne and caviar gals...:p
I'd be busted by the number of pizza boxes stacked up in the trash! ;)

PatsChick87 said:
I'd be busted by the number of pizza boxes stacked up in the trash! ;)

Caviar Pizza? You really are high-maintenance.

dryheat44 said:
:rofl:

dryheat44 said:

:enranged: Gasp! Nowhere to hide!

Matt Chatham was on with Felger yesterday too. He didn't want to say anything directly about AV's situation, but he did talk about how most players who don't have long term deals tend to fret about the future. Not just the $$ but the security of knowing where you will be for the next 3,4,5 years. Said it doesn't tend to bother most guys once the season starts, but it can make for an uncomfortable of season. Used Brady as an example of a player who doesn't have to worry about that each off season. Adam has talked about security more than once. While he has been well paid over the last 5 years he has never known for more than a year or two that his situation is stable.

The Herald's source is obviously a management one, and while they have assured Felger there is a long term offer on the table that keeps him the highest paid kicker I'm sure they didn't share the specifics (or Felger wouldn't have been trying to guess what they might have been yesterday). Like Miguel just said, one man's interpretation of highest paid or long term doesn't always measure up to anothers - as we see in all these contracts after the ink dries. Given the approach they've maintained with AV over the last 5 years, I also tend to doubt they have suddenly done a complete 180 and offered him 5 years at age 33.

They've done things in the past to sweeten a shorter deal - like the two year guaranteed deal coming off being tagged in 2002. So maybe they are offering him a 3 or 4 year deal that would make him highest paid by AAV and he is looking for a 5 year deal that makes him highest paid by bonus and guaranteed money as well, not to mention by a margin and structure that will hold up for a few years in a league with either no cap or a dramatically higher caps under a new CBA.

He may also believe that being a difference maker elsewhere (clutch kicks that impact another franchise's history) actually increases his already good shot at becomming the second kicker in the HOF.

"A source close to Vinatieri yesterday indicated that he would have been willing to accept the franchise tag and a one-year, $3.01 million contract..."

Well, that's certainly bending over backwards, huh Adam? Imagine that, being "willing" to play for a measly $3 million a year.

Just another ego-inflated NFL player lookin' for the bling. Don't let the door hit on the way out, Adam. He never had any intention of signing a new contract with the Pats.

You guys and gals back there in New England can help Adam stay: just go to New England Ford, or whatever Ford dealer he pitches for, buy a new car and tell them Adam sent you. Bada Bing!

Anyway, whatever he gets speaking for those N.E. companies is gravy, but it's nothing like what Jordan or Tiger got/get from Nike.

I find myself sweating this one the most since Pedro Martinez, hoping for a different outcome.

Fanfrom1960 said:
I find myself sweating this one the most since Pedro Martinez, hoping for a different outcome.

He's gone. All of us should just get used to the idea right now and avoid the ulcers.

Look at it this way...at least we won't have to worry about him shanking all his first-half kicks in playoff games anymore.

I really don't know what to think about Adam after reading the reports today.

Maybe it's the bonus money that is the hang up, I don't know, and the reports did not specify that.

But it will come out sooner or later.

I just hope that they didn't offered him a three year 7.5mil deal that included a 2mil bonus. That would have averaged out to 2.5mil per year. If he turned that down, he will have disappointed me along with many other fans, I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR4

I wonder if the PATs will withdraw the offer if he goes into free agency.

Dryheat44:
I'm thinking about that too. I'm sure Belichick doesn't appreciate his offer being used as leverage in negotiations with other teams, but I also know he's not going to let pride or resentment get in the way of putting together the best football team possible.

EVERY offer the club makes ... as a matter of principle, should expire if not accepted.
Any re-offer made later ... like if the player doesn't get an offer as good as NE's ... as a matter of principle, should be inferior in at least some small way to the original and rejected offer.

Two or three iterations of this may cost a few players. But ... from that time forward ... more starting offers will be accepted ... leading to a net longterm gain for the team.

MoLewisrocks said:
Given the approach they've maintained with AV over the last 5 years, I also tend to doubt they have suddenly done a complete 180 and offered him 5 years at age 33.

There's no such thing as a five-year contract without a new CBA. Sure, you can say five years in the contract, but if all the bonus money has been amortized in four years, there is no cap hit for cutting him in the fifth year. Thus, the fifth year is just meaningless verbage in the contract.

Pats726 said:
There was a large discussion on Boston-ESPN yesterday not only about the offer, but the article from Orlando. Many thought that it might have been a bit of "agent talk" with the way AV talked of being in NE. IAnd with money on the table, I think the 2 sides may get to an agreement this weekend. It would be sad to see him kick for GB or Dall or Cleve...COULD happen, but I would rather see him here. Felger was into total overdrive on this basically saying that if AV goes it will be a big black mark against the Pats. If, indeed, the difference is only a few hundred thousand dollars, obviously, they should narrow the gap and ink him. I agree, he's a special kicker and in games like BB plays, when a FG is the diff, AV is the MAN!! 2-3 years here and maybe he'd wish to get to a dome to finish his career..but now?? UNless he's been offered mega-bucks more..get him signed!!!

If the Pats let #4 go, and if the difference is indeed "only a few hundred thousand dollars," then I would only conclude that the braintrust (aka Pioli and Belichick) has decided that the odds of Vinatieri delivering in the clutch in a big game are somehow irrevocably diminished. I'm not smart enough to have figured that out myself, but they must know something I don't. Also, it would suggest that they have also decided that the team needs more than cosmetic reengineering before it contends for its next SB.

Miguel said:
Leave it to Felger to leave out some important details.

Sure, the offer would make Adam the richest paid kicker but what about

1.) the amount of guaranteed money
2.) the structure. Is it frontloaded??Is it backloaded??

From today's Herald -
"that the deal included no signing bonus or guaranteed money"

It is no wonder that Adam turned down such a deal.

hwc said:
He's gone. All of us should just get used to the idea right now and avoid the ulcers.

Look at it this way...at least we won't have to worry about him shanking all his first-half kicks in playoff games anymore.

Or not missing a game winning kick in the last ten years?

I have to say......

Pats726 said:
There was a large discussion on Boston-ESPN yesterday not only about the offer, but the article from Orlando. Many thought that it might have been a bit of "agent talk" with the way AV talked of being in NE. IAnd with money on the table, I think the 2 sides may get to an agreement this weekend. It would be sad to see him kick for GB or Dall or Cleve...COULD happen, but I would rather see him here. Felger was into total overdrive on this basically saying that if AV goes it will be a big black mark against the Pats. If, indeed, the difference is only a few hundred thousand dollars, obviously, they should narrow the gap and ink him. I agree, he's a special kicker and in games like BB plays, when a FG is the diff, AV is the MAN!! 2-3 years here and maybe he'd wish to get to a dome to finish his career..but now?? UNless he's been offered mega-bucks more..get him signed!!!

That I agree with Felger here.........Look what this guy has done for this team.......and he will still "bring it" for the next 6-7 years in my opinion......Kickers can stay in the game longer, obviously, and Vinny is in great shape.......shouldn't be any reason why he shouldn't still be kicking that long......I for one, hope they work out a deal....

Miguel said:
From today's Herald -
"that the deal included no signing bonus or guaranteed money"

It is no wonder that Adam turned down such a deal.

If that is true, that is horrible. I just can't believe the PATs would give him no
signing bonus or guaranteed money. That's a lousy offer to guy who has
meant so much to this team and still has a lot to give. IMO
I just don't understand the thinking of these guys.

hwc said:
There's no such thing as a five-year contract without a new CBA. Sure, you can say five years in the contract, but if all the bonus money has been amortized in four years, there is no cap hit for cutting him in the fifth year. Thus, the fifth year is just meaningless verbage in the contract.

Well if the Herald is right all they offered him was meaningless verbage from the get go. So sure you can leak out he left an offer on the table that keeps him the highest paid BUT......if you do you're being pretty disingenuous. And I personally just don't like that negotiating (or exit) strategy - it smacks of the spin doctors on Yawkey Way greasing the pole on a popular players way out of town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes