PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adam leaves offer on table - Herald

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a large discussion on Boston-ESPN yesterday not only about the offer, but the article from Orlando. Many thought that it might have been a bit of "agent talk" with the way AV talked of being in NE. IAnd with money on the table, I think the 2 sides may get to an agreement this weekend. It would be sad to see him kick for GB or Dall or Cleve...COULD happen, but I would rather see him here. Felger was into total overdrive on this basically saying that if AV goes it will be a big black mark against the Pats. If, indeed, the difference is only a few hundred thousand dollars, obviously, they should narrow the gap and ink him. I agree, he's a special kicker and in games like BB plays, when a FG is the diff, AV is the MAN!! 2-3 years here and maybe he'd wish to get to a dome to finish his career..but now?? UNless he's been offered mega-bucks more..get him signed!!!

It does not seem as though they are that far apart, if he goes to another market he will have NFL recognition, but not local recognition which will mean a decrease in his off field revenue sources. I think they will work things out and he will retire as a Patriot.

I don't see why he shouldn't, he's the best kicker in the league.

IMO if he goes to another team, it'll be to a kicker friendly stadium where he could set more records. From all reports, he appreciates being a Pat, enjoys a good relationship with owners, gets plenty of respect/money in this market, so why else would he make the move for just a slight increase in pay?

dryheat44 said:
Sounds to me like he's chasing top dollar.

You can't say it's not about the money when he walks away from a multi-year deal that makes him the highest paid kicker in football.

That was my impression also, dryheat.

Maybe his agent is trying to squeeze a little more juice out the PATs but
I wonder if that really works with the PATs.

If as reported the offer
1. Makes him the highest paid PK in the league
2 Gives his a long contract which is what he wanted
3. Lets him stay with the team and fans that supposedly mean so much to him.
4. Lets him retire with the team he won at least 3 SuperBowls with and in
which he became known as Mr. Clutch.

If all this is true then how can it not be that he is looking for the most money
he can get.
I wonder if the PATs will withdraw the offer if he goes into free agency.

Last edited:
Remember when Felger broke news that Tedy Washington signed a new deal,and then he was off to Oakland??? Im not sure if this means Adam V will sign a new deal ,but it seems to me Adam wants the almighty dollar..

JR4 said:
If all this is true then how can it not be that he is looking for the most money
he can get.

I can understand going to Dallas where there is a 'potential' for post-season play and he's played under Parcells but Green Bay?? They are a clusterf*$k ready to implode. It must be for the weather.......or the $$$$$$. From the Packers point of view, why overpay for AV? They have so many other needs that should be addressed, it's not like it's one of their major weaknesses, unlike Dallas.
Maybe Favre has them convinced that that was the reason for their record last year......aside from the lack of a secondary or a running game or all those Ints......
Just my $0.02,

JR4 said:

I'm thinking about that too. I'm sure Belichick doesn't appreciate his offer being used as leverage in negotiations with other teams, but I also know he's not going to let pride or resentment get in the way of putting together the best football team possible.

dryheat44 said:
I'm thinking about that too. I'm sure Belichick doesn't appreciate his offer being used as leverage in negotiations with other teams, but I also know he's not going to let pride or resentment get in the way of putting together the best football team possible.

True but here's an angle. Say AV goes FA.
Bill will know he has no PK for 2006 and will go about looking for one
immediately. Bill does know when to move on. If he finds one he likes
he'll ink the deal and Adam could be PATs history.
Bill is not going to wait until Adam plays the field and decides to come
back to the PATs. You think?
So in this sense he will withdraw the offer.

I

JR4 said:
True but here's an angle. Say AV goes FA.
Bill will know he has no PK for 2006 and will go about looking for one
immediately. Bill does know when to move on. If he finds one he likes
he'll ink the deal and Adam could be PATs history.
Bill is not going to wait until Adam plays the field and decides to come
back to the PATs. You think?
So in this sense he will withdraw the offer.

I

In that sense, he'll make offers to other kickers, and if one accepts, then he'll withdraw the offer. You're right, Bill can't afford to, and won't, wait for AV to make up his mind. He'll try to sign the next best kicker available, and if he's no good, he'll draft one and wait for TC cuts from those teams that have two under contract (several teams last year, due to injury, had to carry two kickers).

Just am not sure at all on this one...one would think he may take the money, but maybe he just wishes to see what is out there...would that make sense??
If it is mega over his deal here..he'll consider it..if not, back to NE. In a way, it makes sense. And since no CBA, who knows what that will be. I tend to think his words were calculated and certainly had that effect here.. The only reason that Cleve and GB were mentioned is that they have tons of money to throw around..way under the cap. Other teams may not be able to do that. I hope he stays...I am not as pessimistic as many, but more have a wait and see sort of thing. I don't think the Pats will withdraw the offer..why would they do that?

Pats726 said:
Just am not sure at all on this one...one would think he may take the money, but maybe he just wishes to see what is out there...would that make sense??
If it is mega over his deal here..he'll consider it..if not, back to NE.

I'm sure that's exactly what Adam's thinking. The conflict is that Belichick at some point has to prepare as though he's not coming back, and will have to pull the trigger on another kicker. And it could be as early as Day One of free agency.

dryheat44 said:
..... And it could be as early as Day One of free agency.

I think Longwell is still available and PATs probably could get him for
close to the cost of Vinatieri offer.

Last edited:
dryheat44 said:
I'm sure that's exactly what Adam's thinking. The conflict is that Belichick at some point has to prepare as though he's not coming back, and will have to pull the trigger on another kicker. And it could be as early as Day One of free agency.
I agree BB is not going to wait around..but would one not wait a day or so?? I think AV understands these dynamics...should be interesting though.

Pats726 said:
Felger was into total overdrive on this basically saying that if AV goes it will be a big black mark against the Pats.

If what the article says is true, and that the Patriots offer would have kept him the highest paid kicker in the league, how in the world is that a black mark against the Patriots?(I realize it was Felger, not you who implied this)

From what I have read, Adam just intends on going to the highest bidder.

In the long run, I think he may come to regret that. He will always be a big name in NE. But I think his star may lose some of it's shine (however little) if he leaves a contract on the table that would keep him the highest paid kicker in the league in order for a few extra bucks somewhere else.

To bad! But I am really starting to believe he will be gone!

Pats726 said:
I agree BB is not going to wait around..but would one not wait a day or so?? I think AV understands these dynamics...should be interesting though.

Adam will have his offers within the first couple of hours of FA, and he should know rather quickly whether to accept the Pats or not. If the cap doesn't budge from the 94.5 figure, I think he'll be back. If the deal is reached, some idiot GM might offer him something outlandish like a 4 year/5 million per deal. In which case he'll be gone, and none of us could blame him for it. If Arizona didn't have Rackers locked up, they'd be a prime suspect. New stadium, nice weather, way under the cap, big name to market. Minnesota could be a player, as could Tampa.

Last edited:
- BB/SP obviously know AV's worth, they acknowledge it with an offer keeping him the highest paid kicker in the game.
- Expecting them to shop elsewhere fits their normal operating behaviors, but we fans need to remember that there is no other kicker who has AV's intangibles and leadership, we've seen it in his presence on the sideline too many times.
- BB/SP know this better then we do.
- Cap rich teams may take a run at AV and may boost his price a little higher, but unless one of the insane clubs makes an insane offer...
- The teams mentioned, Cleveland and Green Bay, have cap room, but both have higher priorities, Romeo has a dependable AV protege, and Green Bay offers no better weather or no Superbowl chance in the near future.
- BB/SP aren't going to offer AV less if he tests FA, they will see what counter-offer AV's agent proposes and see how much more they need to sweeten the pot to reach an agreement.
- AV is not going to ignore the endorsement and legend aspects of choosing to stay.

Think positive thoughts and tell local businesses who use AV to advertise their product how you never would have found them if you hadn't recognized AV in their advertising. :D

Leave it to Felger to leave out some important details.

Sure, the offer would make Adam the richest paid kicker but what about

1.) the amount of guaranteed money
2.) the structure. Is it frontloaded??Is it backloaded??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes