PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adam Archuleta, UFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Yes, he'll likely command big $$$, but he seems like he'd be an ideal guy to bring in as a Rodney Redux, even if Rodney is back and healthy from Day One next year. That being the case, move Geno back to CB for a year or so, and go with Rodney and Adam in the way back positions.

With the final installment of past-deal dead money coming off the books - Thanks, Ty! - and with our financial house in order (lots of extensions done last year, not just Brady's), perhaps we can afford to splurge a little on a good, young, hard-hitting SS.

Thoughts?

patsox23 said:
Yes, he'll likely command big $$$, but he seems like he'd be an ideal guy to bring in as a Rodney Redux, even if Rodney is back and healthy from Day One next year. That being the case, move Geno back to CB for a year or so, and go with Rodney and Adam in the way back positions.

With the final installment of past-deal dead money coming off the books - Thanks, Ty! - and with our financial house in order (lots of extensions done last year, not just Brady's), perhaps we can afford to splurge a little on a good, young, hard-hitting SS.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't say that Archuleta is young. I would say he's right in the HIGH-LIGHT of his career. And he will be commanding a ton of money, as you said. I think that, if the Pats go after a safety, looking at Adrian Wilson would be a better option.

Also, though I have been adverse to the idea of moving Gino to CB, it might not be a bad idea.

In BB we trust.

Clearly this is an area of need. I'm going to get back on my Darnell Bing band wagon. And drafting in the latter half or bottom of the round, he's someone who should be available.

Atlanta Patsfan said:
Clearly this is an area of need. I'm going to get back on my Darnell Bing band wagon. And drafting in the latter half or bottom of the round, he's someone who should be available.

Is Bing worthy of a 1st round pick? I don't know. Also, he has to declare 1st. He is only a junior.

Bernard Pollard from Purdue might be a better pick this year since he will probably slip into the 3rd round.

But, again, there are MANY factors that the Patriots will consider before looking at the draft.

If they bring back Hawkins, I highly doubt they will draft a strong safety. Not with Sanders, Stone and Guss Scott already on the team.

This is the year to stock up on a pair of young stud Linebackers! We even have enough room for three or four of them. And they out there in the draft pool for a change.

Beoli will go get 'em after several years of not having anybody they really wanted as LB in the draft. It the oldest position on hte team ands we need to start training a couple of good starters for two or three years from now, IMHO.

Arizona Patsfan said:
This is the year to stock up on a pair of young stud Linebackers! We even have enough room for three or four of them. And they out there in the draft pool for a change.

Beoli will go get 'em after several years of not having anybody they really wanted as LB in the draft. It the oldest position on hte team ands we need to start training a couple of good starters for two or three years from now, IMHO.

I agree, lots of young linebackers are making their mark in the NFL and this is something the Pats should prepare for.

yeah odell Thurman and Merriman look like there going to be big players in this leauge

Not sure if Adam Archulata can play FS. He seems to be more of guy that likes to play within the box. However I do like the idea of moving Geno back to corner. Another option is bringing back Tye Law to play FS or CB. I have a feeling that will happen. As far as drafting a Safety, Laron Landry from LSU, I would think is very high on their radar screen. He can play both FS and SS, and is a terrific playmaker. He is however a junior but may come out early, and we know how much BB and SP like players from LSU.

linebackers or safety?

Arizona Patsfan said:

i agree, this team needs a couple of the big, fast linebackers who seem to be in football these days instead of doing the decathlon or throwing javelins or running the 200.
IMHO BB's defense works best when the SS is a big hitter. either the SS or the FS has to be able to call coverages. archuleta looks great, but hasn't he already had, like, 3 concussions?
bing looks like a terror. but he can't stay on the field. is he one of those guys who's too big and too fast for his frame?
BB's defense seems to call for veteran safeties. i think a high-pick LB would contribute more readily.

I think Sanders will get a shot at safety next year and who knows Hawk might reserect his career at safety. Most of us thought that Geno was going to be a one year replacement at Safety and then he would move back to corner. Not trying to throw hawk out there as some savior but after reading the article on him about his new found interest to learn a new position combined with BB's praise and the way he has played on the field he might actually be around here longer then we think.

Three options at S

Three guys that I think are options at S are Chris Hope (UFA Steelers)
Marlon McCree (UFA Panthers) and Ryan Clark (UFA Redskins)

Hope (5-11, 206) has good size and decent speed. He has played well for the Steelers but he might be pricing himself out of the Pats budget.

McCree (5-11, 202) signed a one year deal in Carolina to back up #1 pick Thomas Davis but outplayed him and won the starting SS job. Would bring good experince to the team.

Clark (5-11, 202) has played as back up/starter for the Skins and money wise it the most reasonable option. He is an LSU guy and we all know how Bill likes those guys but he has been banged up a little and the last thing the Pats need is another injuried guy in the secondary.

Just my 2 cents

whither guss scott?

mgcolby said:
I think Sanders will get a shot at safety next year and who knows Hawk might reserect his career at safety. Most of us thought that Geno was going to be a one year replacement at Safety and then he would move back to corner. Not trying to throw hawk out there as some savior but after reading the article on him about his new found interest to learn a new position combined with BB's praise and the way he has played on the field he might actually be around here longer then we think.
i actually thought guss was gonna turn out. sanders just dooesn't seem to be a tackler to me.
is guss no longer on anyone's radar screen?

ilduce06410 said:
i actually thought guss was gonna turn out. sanders just dooesn't seem to be a tackler to me.
is guss no longer on anyone's radar screen?

He can't stay on the field. Maybe if he stays healthy for more then 2 games. The more I think about it the more I like hawk playing the position next year,he will have half a year's worth of starting in the system and a full offseason and a training camp to completely adjust to the safety spot. He may be a little undersized for safety but he definitly can tackle and hit, add that to the fact that he has the speed of a corner and we might have ourselves the fill in until Rodney gets healthy. When or if Rodney comes back then the pats have options hawk or Geno could move to corner and the other could be an outstanding nickel back.

If we are going to talk about Safeties in the draft, I like Michael Huff (6-1, 205) from Texas alot. He's a big playmaker, has great NFL potential, and has the ability to play CB as well as S (a big bonus, especially considering the Pats' DB situation the last couple of years). I would love to get him on the Pats, even though it will probably take a Paul Pierce-like draft miracle for Huff to drop to our pick; just wanted to throw his name into consideration.

I like Huff's game. I'm not sure if he has the instincts to play right away in the Patrots system, but by year two, he could start.

I watched McCree very closely when Atlanta played Carolina a few weeks ago. He has next to no coverage skills, but he is a willing run supporter. Plays with lots of emotion and they got the best of him that game.

The SS that I've watched that impresses me is Page of UCLA. The coverage skills are not NFL cabibre and I'm not sure of his speed, but I like the instincts and his run support.

Has anybody noticed that all four Penn State starters in the secondary are seniors? It would not bother me if the Patriots grabbed Zemaitis in the first, Phillips in the 4th and the two safties in the fifth or sixth.

Last edited:
Ochmed Jones said:
I like Huff's game. I'm not sure if he has the instincts to play right away in the Patrots system, but by year two, he could start.

I watched McCree very closely when Atlanta played Carolina a few weeks ago. He has next to no coverage skills, but he is a willing run supporter. Plays with lots of emotion and they got the best of him that game.

The SS that I've watched that impresses me is Page of UCLA. The coverage skills are not NFL cabibre and I'm not sure of his speed, but I like the instincts and his run support.

Has anybody noticed that all four Penn State starters in the secondary are seniors? It would not bother me if the Patriots grabbed Zemaitis in the first, Phillips in the 4th and the two safties in the fifth or sixth.
I like Page, haven't seen the others. I think Hawkins is in line to stick for a bit with his CB/S versatility.

OBVIOUSLY we need to draft LB's. But this thread I'm asking about the safety position.

Main Ingredient said:
If we are going to talk about Safeties in the draft, I like Michael Huff (6-1, 205) from Texas alot. He's a big playmaker, has great NFL potential, and has the ability to play CB as well as S (a big bonus, especially considering the Pats' DB situation the last couple of years). I would love to get him on the Pats, even though it will probably take a Paul Pierce-like draft miracle for Huff to drop to our pick; just wanted to throw his name into consideration.

i just had my madden draft for 2006 last night after going 14-2 and winning the super bowl (on all madden setting) and drafted michael huff

for some reason in every madden game crappy teams view the pats first rder better than theirs at the beg of the year, so i was able to get the 9ers and cards picks, i then traded starks and a couple mid rd draft picks for the number two overall pick(starks was in the pro bowl and a holdout)
so i ended up with the second, third (cards) and 19th(niners) overall picks

here was my draft:
rd pick overall player
1 2 2 reggie bush-hb (could not pass him up-traded faulk afterwards)
1 3 3 aj hawk-olb (he has been nasty through two preseasono games)
1 19 19 michael huff-ss
2 1 33 martin nance-wr (6'5", fast)
4 1 97 ahmad brooks-ilb (could not believe he fell)
4 2 98 antwan allen-cb (ditto)
4 3 99 dj shockley-qb (flutie retired, let davey go, needed qb, i wanted jay cutler-partially cuz he has my first name and my moms maidan name)
4 19 115 greg jennings-wr
5 3 131 mike hass-wr (couldnt pick b/w jennings and hass, and went with jennings, then saw hass slipped, so had to take both, plus needed some wrs, as troy brown retired, and i let tim dwight and david terrell(lol) go in fa)
5 32 160 og, cant remember who i got here right now

anyway, bush looked nasty at the beg of the first preseason game (i have him come in a lil more than the way we use kfaulk, but then tapered off later in game, and in second game, then he got hurt in the second game and is out two weeks), from the way he played in the game, he might just be a rich mans kevin faulk, to be quite honest, obviously the pats have no shot in the world of getting him, but i dont think he will be quite as good as LT

aj hawk is a beast, thats all i can say, one knock, he gets knocked down a lil too easy, but he really is a beast

martin nance is big fast, and can catch the ball

antwan allen played phenomenal in the training camp drill, but then got burned by marvin harrison three times in preseason game one (ya, he played the whole game)

shockley is a young rohan davey with more speed

obviously its a video game, and its with the ncaa game from the preseason, but still i feel im getting somewhat of a feel of how these guys could play

i would not hate it if the pats get michael huff in the first rd
and i would love martin nance

Back to the original subject - Archuleta is not a guy I'd be interested in. He's solely a run support safety who can't cover anyone.

dhamz said:
Back to the original subject - Archuleta is not a guy I'd be interested in. He's solely a run support safety who can't cover anyone.
I Agree. Hawkins is a servical backup, until RH can come back. Sanders will be fine, with a little more experience.I believe PAt Hill his college coach said he was the best DB he has ever coached.
As for the draft LaRon Landry if he declares, I think would be the guy they first target. A ball hawk with great instints and can tackle. Also could play both safety positions. And is from LSU need I say more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes