PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AD to IR, Seau Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a difference. You can run with a story like Breer ran because there is little damage to anyone for getting it wrong. Injury rumors are considered pretty much fair game for writers. They all write rumblings without having the burden of independent verification being set too high.

Tomase ran a piece that was crushing to the Patriots' and Belichick's reputation. A story like that, you have to get it right to publish.

didnt ESPN say AD was going to be on IR the week he was injured ?

Crushing news:(

Why did it take so long to make this move?
Because the information available now isn't the same as it was earlier.

IR is gone for the year and there was a chance he'd be able to play if things went exactly right with his recovery, so the Pats deferred the decision. When it became apparent that wasn't going to be the case, and AD wasn't likely to be able to play this year, in comes Colvin and Seau to cover the two areas that AD generally fills: pass rush and run stop.

So, we lose yet another of our top players to the IR. So I am sitting here thinking god. this defense has just been ripped apart.. Then I start comparing the front 7 and primarily the LBers and I say to myself.. wait a minute.. things might not be as bad as they seem..

2007 LB Corp (start): Vrable, Bruschi, Seau, Thomas, Colvin, Woods, Alexander, Izzo

2007 LB Corp (END): Vrable, Bruschi, Seau, Thomas, Colvin (IR), Woods, Alexander, Izzo

2008 LB Corps (Start): Vrable, Bruschi, Mayo, Thomas, Woods, Guyton, Izzo, Alexander

2008 LB Corps: Vrable, Bruschi Mayo, Seau, Colvin, Redd, Woods, Guyton, Izzo.

6 of the pieces are the same, though a year older. And 3 of them are Rookies, 2 of whom have produced very well and the 3rd who has won more black shirts in practice in a single season than anyone.

COMPARED TO THE END OF LAST YEAR
OUT Thomas, Alexander
IN Mayo, Guyton, Colvin, Redd

I do believe that Mayo and Guyton together is an upgrade over Thomas and Alexander.
Redd and Woods together is as good as Woods at the end of 2007.
Colvin and Bruschi together should be as good as Bruschi at the end of 2007.

Even with all the injuries, we are in fine shape at LB. Of course, the key is the addition of Mayo and Guyton.

So, we lose yet another of our top players to the IR. So I am sitting here thinking god. this defense has just been ripped apart.. Then I start comparing the front 7 and primarily the LBers and I say to myself.. wait a minute.. things might not be as bad as they seem..

2007 LB Corp (start): Vrable, Bruschi, Seau, Thomas, Colvin, Woods, Alexander, Izzo

2007 LB Corp (END): Vrable, Bruschi, Seau, Thomas, Colvin (IR), Woods, Alexander, Izzo

2008 LB Corps (Start): Vrable, Bruschi, Mayo, Thomas, Woods, Guyton, Izzo, Alexander

2008 LB Corps: Vrable, Bruschi Mayo, Seau, Colvin, Redd, Woods, Guyton, Izzo.

6 of the pieces are the same, though a year older. And 3 of them are Rookies, 2 of whom have produced very well and the 3rd who has won more black shirts in practice in a single season than anyone.

Interesting optimism but you've left out that Colvin and Seau have not played a down of contact football in an age. Then there's the mysterious issue of Vrabes' shoulder, Woods jaw? Redd's and Bruschi's injuries. Will they heal? Can any of them play a football game like this Sunday and next?

Me, I'm happy that the inept Seahags are our next opponent. As close to a Bye as we'll get.

Last edited:
Crap. What else is there to say.

Sucks to see Adalius going to the IR. He'll be missed. On the other hand Seau will do nicely in filling in. Welcome back Junior.

Interesting optimism but you've left out that Colvin and Seau have not played a down of contact football in an age. Then there's the mysterious issue of Vrabes' shoulder, Woods jaw? Redd's and Bruschi's injuries. Will they heal? Can any of them play a football game like this Sunday and next?

Me, I'm happy that the inept Seahags are our next opponent. As close to a Bye as we'll get.

I look at Colvin as a question mark given his travels this year. Not exactly the stamp of excellence when Houston kicks you off that defense. I hope that means his competencies were not across the board as required by the Texans but he can be employed in a way that makes use of what he is good at now.

As for Seau, given his past two seasons and his ability to contribute (he was old then, he is not much older now) this may represent the best way to use him, benefit from the energy and enthusiasm he brings to the team, but keep him away from injury. I don't care if he is 75 and playing. He is big, strong, and plays to the limit of whatever he has left.

I agree it is good to see Holmgren's immortals next on the schedule, as well as the Faders. Hopefully, the offense can do some damage in those games and allow the defense time to settle with the new additions in time for the Cardinals (I still find it hard to say that team name with dread. What a freaky season this has been.).

Last edited:
that sucks.

but Seau is good still.

he played a huge part in beating San Diego last year in the playoffs.

Interesting optimism but you've left out that Colvin and Seau have not played a down of contact football in an age.

One game at a time while the two Knights polish their suits of armor. Obviously not in game shape yet, but their experience may prove to be valuable the rest of the way.

And while we wait out the rust erosion process, hopefully the team will shelve the shoot-ourselves-in-the-foot-type games. Stop making it so easy for the opponent to remain in games. Tighten up the ST coverage unit, eliminate turnovers, and catch the catchable balls...then maybe the team will overcome the injuries.

In the meantime, sit back and enjoy Belichick's sideline coaching. The DBs will need consistent guidance.

I don't disagree with anything you say; one week at a time.

They were probably holding out hope that AD could come back. But I think he suffered a setback or his doctor confirmed that there's no way he would be back so they went ahead and made this move. AD to IR and Seau signed to starting roster.

Because they hoped it wouldn't be necessary. The used the roster spot on a low-probability chance of getting him back rather than on the certainty of an inferior player, until the probability got too low.

One thing with these signings -- it's late enough in the season that being not-dinged-up is an advantage. TEAMS get better as the season progresses. But players get worse.

I'm glad the Jr. is back. I wish that it had come sooner but it suck that AD is on IR

Well, that's disappointing news on Thomas, to be sure. When I heard about Seau, my hopes really spiked up--and I am still hopeful, to be honest.

My thought about Seau the last couple of years was sort of like a Roger Clemens contract....the guy, with his innate talent, his instinct, his smarts, but his declining longevity, would be perfect for a short burst of games. And that's what we've got now. With Thomas coming back, I would have felt a helluva lot better about this D. (I really don't think we'll get much from Colvin, but sports is about nothing if not surprises.)

Look, I still think Seau could be a big boost. Just get to the playoffs! Who's the big dog this year in the AFC? Pittsburgh? Shoulda been winning at halftime, try winning a game when you turn it over 5 straight times. The Jets? Tennessee? Please.

Just get in, and we'll see. And the Pats have a good shot, sez me. And Seau should help.

Happy and sad at the same time.

Just want us to get to the playoffs.

One thing with these signings -- it's late enough in the season that being not-dinged-up is an advantage. TEAMS get better as the season progresses. But players get worse.

who are we kidding.... these guys haven't played contact football in months.

2-3 practices and ready to go?

so much for game speed.

the only hope we have is that we make the playoffs and these guys are in game shape by the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes