PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AD to IR, Seau Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
not whining stating a fact, you seem to take everything breer says as gospel, since you post every tid bit he posts, just proving to you he knows nothing

Have you ever read Breer before? He knows enough about the game itself to be trusted, even if his informants can't be.

So, what are we looking at now at LB?

With Seau back, will they move Guyton to the outside with Vrabel and Colvin? Will they cycle Bruschi, Seau, Mayo on the inside?

If Bruschi is healthy this wouldn't be a bad idea, maybe we can create some pass rush w/Guyton's speed on the outside. He has been rushing the passer in obvious passing situations more over the last few games.

states the obvious, season is ovah

My guess is the delay in shifting Thomas to IR was attributable to tracking his progress in the hope he was sufficiently healing to play with a cast at the end of the regular season. When it became apparent he was not making sufficient progress and was going to make it, they made the roster moves.

This gives Colvin and Seau some time to get up to speed this season in time for the playoffs while at the same time limiting exposure to veteran players who have shown a tendency to get injured of late. It is good to see Junior back with the energy he brings.

It does strike me as ironic that the Pats appeared to answer all of those calls from fans last year and this year to get younger and now most of those younger players are on the IR. The average age on the roster appears to be spiking again.

states the obvious, season is ovah
I like Thomas as much as the next guy but let's not get silly. Sure it's a big hit to the defense getting good enough to get to the SB but with the upcoming schedule the playoffs are an absolute possibility.

The average age on the roster appears to be spiking again.
It is but that's OK as long as we see the young players with talent to be the next generation and I think we all see that. It's just too bad Crable and Wheatley didn't get more playing time this year. Still, having Mayo and Guyton getting to hang around Seau for a month is not a bad thing at all.

anyone know if there was ever any discussion on using a 3-4/4-3 system with Jarvis Green being used as an outside pass rusher? I am guessing there are some doubts about Greens ability in coverage, but we need a pass rush, and i feel hes the only one on our roster with above average ability in that category

This sucks! I am going to try to put a positive spin and hope that this means that Colvin came in in far better condition that expected and his return made it unneccessary to keep the slim hope that AD would come back. I know I am probably kidding myself, but I gotta cling to something.

Have you ever read Breer before? He knows enough about the game itself to be trusted, even if his informants can't be.

Yeah, I like Breer. Just because he got bad information from someone doesn't make him a bad writer. Every writer is fed bad information from time to time and runs with it.

i second that.breer knows his stuff and one of the few BB respects. maybe it was touch and go between AD coming back or not and they decided after assuming he might recover for the AZ game that he may not.
Everyone is wondering why not earlier with seau and colvin ...but who wouldve they replaced ? cut woods/redd/guyton ? they are here now because we are thin at that position.
i am at least happy happy the team is trying out all options and not just giving up playing with who they got for 4 games and trying to give practice.

Yeah, I like Breer. Just because he got bad information from someone doesn't make him a bad writer. Every writer is fed bad information from time to time and runs with it.
patsgo is just a goofball. The quote was : "he could be back for Arizona". He may not have been far off but the season has little time left.

From Goliath to David in one short year...now that we're underdoggs again, do people start loving us again? For some reason, I doubt it.

From Goliath to David in one short year...now that we're underdoggs again, do people start loving us again? For some reason, I doubt it.
It all depends on a certain stud QB's knee . . .

Careful, this could easily be turned into a defense for Thomase. And nobody wants that.

OPEN QUESTIONS
What is the status of Woods over the next two weeks?
What is the status of Redd over the next two weeks?
What is the status of Bruschi over the next two week?

SOME THOUGHTS
1)I would not move Guyton outside. He is just learning the inside position.
2) I do think a bit more 43 2-gap may be played, with Green uesed as a DE/OLB. I would note that if Green stands up then this is a 3-4. The real question is whether Green should be used more as a pass rusher. I think this is a strong option that has been used before.
3) Even with Woods, Redd and Bruschi out, we still have a strong 4-3. We are also fine at the 3-4 with Green as a linebacker. If any of three are healthy, they will get reps as OLB.
4) We might a 4-3 with Vrabel and Green at the ends, especially on passing downs. If Warren, is hurt we may use this as a base defense with Guyton, Mayo and Seau as LB's.
5) I haven't mentioned Colvin. I'm not sure that he is ready for major reps for a couple of weeks. However, if he is, then we have a fine LB lineup with Colvin, Mayo, Seau, Vrabel and Guyton; with some use of Green outside.
6) If Bruschi is ready to go, he may get some reps as an OLB.

BOTTOM LINE
We have lots of talent on the field (yes Guyton is talent) at LB, enough to be able to stop our next two opponents with no help from the three linebackers who are still injured.

Jarvis Green has not been used at OLB, as far as I know.
He is seldom used in run defense, except when replacing an injured starter, like Seymour.
His normal role is situational pass-rushing end.
And at that he is clearly falling off - in 10 games, he has zero sacks for the season. Ouch.

I don't think Green is a viable solution at OLB.
He's more likely to be used at NT on third downs than he is at OLB.

I guess, with AD the one on IR, the hope is Woods and Redd are closer to being ready than he was. Right now the OLB rotation is Vrabel, Colvin, inexperienced Guyton, injured Woods, injured inexperienced Redd. Colvin, in his interview, didn't sound ready for prime time.

I also agree that it makes more sense to keep Guyton focused on ILB, where he has played very well, than switch him to the outside. However, the team may not have that luxury. With the Seau signing, there is a lot more depth at ILB (Mayo, Bruschi, Seau, Guyton, Izzo) than OLB.

The confirmation of losing AD is one more big straw, and realistically is a blow for the possibility of the playoffs.

What a year of injuries.

Careful, this could easily be turned into a defense for Thomase. And nobody wants that.

There is a difference. You can run with a story like Breer ran because there is little damage to anyone for getting it wrong. Injury rumors are considered pretty much fair game for writers. They all write rumblings without having the burden of independent verification being set too high.

Tomase ran a piece that was crushing to the Patriots' and Belichick's reputation. A story like that, you have to get it right to publish.

This sucks. :(
I'm glad that Seau is back, and as everyone has said, he should have been back a long time ago. But the news about Adalius just adds to the TRAJEDY of this season. We were practically injury free last year, and this year the injury bug has just ravaged this team. I guess it missed us.

I hope that Warren is not going to have the same fate. I don't like the fact that he and Seymour are banged up. I hope that their situations DON'T get worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back