Actually good info on NEST last night- no, really

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Tom Curran was on NEST last night.

He mentioned that Corey was really badly injured last season. He did say,as some other smart poster on this board said, Corey did not go to his left very well after his injury. Also, the "make shift" OL did not help in the running game with all the injuries they had. He wasn't making excuses for Corey- he was just stating the obvious facts.

He also said that Ty Law could re-sign with the Patriots. However, Patriots fan have to understand that Ty Law is all about Ty Law and being setimental has nothing to do with where he goes.

This,IMO, was totally unexpected good info on the NEST program.

Last edited:
Call me skeptical on Dillon unless he got hurt at the end of preseason because he sucked from Game One. I hope it's true and that we'll have the monster combo of the real Dillon plus Maroney.

Curran said that he got hurt at he beginning of the third game. In the first game he wasn't a big part of the game plan because of the front of Oaklands.

The Carolina game,game 2, everyone was terrible.

PATSNUTme said:
Curran said that he got hurt at he beginning of the third game.

wow. makes sense now.

after he ran for like 100 against the steelers I thought, now he's back on track, but it never happened. We knew against atlanta there was definitely something wrong.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
In the first game he wasn't a big part of the game plan because of the front of Oaklands.
Against Oakland he was 23-63 for an average of 2.7 YPC. For the year, Oakland was 19th in the league in Yards per Carry against, giving up an average of 4.0.

Again, color me skeptical.

BelichickFan said:
Call me skeptical on Dillon unless he got hurt at the end of preseason because he sucked from Game One. I hope it's true and that we'll have the monster combo of the real Dillon plus Maroney.

Oakland had two massive OLB so they actually had a pretty good run defense, as did Carolina. The line also struggled heavily against tjose two opponents but Dillon was still able to get some good runs, like the TD run in the second half of the Oakland game. It was from like 8 yards out and he had a guys on him in the backfield but he was so pissed of he would not be denied. This year if Dillon does get hurt which is more likely than in other years beacause of his age, the entire running game won't shut down. In addition he won't be rushed back earlier out of desperation so he can have time to properly heal, helping prevent lingering injuries. I just really wouldn'e count him out. The guy's a beast.

BelichickFan said:
Against Oakland he was 23-63 for an average of 2.7 YPC. For the year, Oakland was 19th in the league in Yards per Carry against, giving up an average of 4.0.

Again, color me skeptical.
Not sure what you are saying, among a couple possibles in your answer

you think that he wasn't hurt but was just bad all year?

you think that he played bad the first two games because he is bad, but then got hurt which masked his badness which would have been there for all to see if he hadn't gotten hurt?

What I want is the THREAT of a running game--either from Corey, or LoMo, or both--because once we have that established, Brady is going to tee off. With Light and Koppen healthy <hopefully> and Mankins and Kaczur having a year of experience, the line should be better than OK. We don't actually need to run for 150+ yds a game, but we need to make defenses THINK we can, which I don't think any teams did at the end of last season.

spacecrime said:
Not sure what you are saying, among a couple possibles in your answer

you think that he wasn't hurt but was just bad all year?

you think that he played bad the first two games because he is bad, but then got hurt which masked his badness which would have been there for all to see if he hadn't gotten hurt?
I'm just saying I'm skeptical. He opened against a defense which proved to be mediocre against the run and did bady. It was only one game. And, if healthy, he could have had a huge season. Maybe. I'm just saying I'm skeptical. If he had been 23-92 against Oakland I would buy it more. But he was 23-63. If Brady hadn't had to yell at him on the sideline to get his head in the game (remember "Let's go, we need you" on the sideline ?) then I would buy it more.

I'm not saying Dillon is done. Or that he wasn't hurt. Just that there were issues with him last year before he got hurt Week 3.

zippo59 said:
Oakland had two massive OLB so they actually had a pretty good run defense
It is what it is. Oakland was 19th in the league last year giving up 4.0 YPC. In an admittedly small sample of 23 carries, Dillon averaged 2.7 YPC. I'm not saying he's done, just that I'm skeptical. I hope he proves you guys to be right.

Other major point made was that on top of the injury, Corey was running behind five guys named Moe. Light was down, Koppen down, two rookies plus a guy who's not played much at center (Hochstein)... even if he's in top form, they weren't gonna be blowing teams off the line.

BelichickFan said:
It is what it is. Oakland was 19th in the league last year giving up 4.0 YPC. In an admittedly small sample of 23 carries, Dillon averaged 2.7 YPC. I'm not saying he's done, just that I'm skeptical. I hope he proves you guys to be right.

Actually, Oakland's defense was pretty good against the run most of the year. Take away the pathetic last game of the season when they quit and Tiki ran for over 200 yards, and they allowed a respectable 3.88 yards/rush. That's actuallg good when you consider they played 2 games each against SD, KC and Denver.

BelichickFan said:
I'm just saying I'm skeptical. He opened against a defense which proved to be mediocre against the run and did bady. It was only one game. And, if healthy, he could have had a huge season. Maybe. I'm just saying I'm skeptical. If he had been 23-92 against Oakland I would buy it more. But he was 23-63. If Brady hadn't had to yell at him on the sideline to get his head in the game (remember "Let's go, we need you" on the sideline ?) then I would buy it more.

I'm not saying Dillon is done. Or that he wasn't hurt. Just that there were issues with him last year before he got hurt Week 3.

They had Ted Washington at NT and a bunch of other big bodies and suposedly good run stoppers like Hamilton. The conventional wisdom, at least at the beginning of the season, was that they were going to be tough to run against.

Consequently, our game plan heavily emphasized the passing game.

The fact that Oakland's run D turned out to be STATISTICALLY mediocre is misleading. Look at the ups and downs of our own defense and realized that defenses are often not the same throughout the year. Oakland may have had a decent Run D at the beginning of the year. Did injuries play a part? Did their offense contribute to the other team exploiting their defense? (ie. couldn't score enough points or didn't keep their D off the field for sufficient time). Was their a weakness in their pass defense that they had to adjust to that may have weakened their otherwise good run defense.

There are a lot of variables is the point. Just because they were statistically mediocre by season's end does not mean that on game 1 that they didn't field a good run defense or that the Patriots didn't come out with a scheme that deemphasized our own run offense THINKING that their run D was formittable.

Sorry for the length.

BelichickFan said:

Mankins at LG was starting his first professional game. Don't you think that might have had some effect on the power running game which requires consistent and repetitive blocking to go?

AzPatsFan said:
Mankins at LG was starting his first professional game. Don't you think that might have had some effect on the power running game which requires consistent and repetitive blocking to go?
I hope so. All I know is :

Dillon sucked last year even before he was hurt.
Brady was yelling at him on the sideline Week 1.
Belichick drafted a RB in this first round.
2+2+2=6.

I know all of the above are true. How he does in 2006 we will have to wait and see on.

Oakland's front 7 played the run VERY well on opening night. I don't care how they did the rest of the year.

Yes BB did chose to draft a RB this year which could mean he doesn't have much faith in Dillon anymore. However, there are other possibilities like BB knows he's getting up there in age and he's not going to last forever, and he would probably had to do it eventually. Why not draft the kid now when you can ease him and not be heavily leaned on as a rookie. In addition perhaps they looked ahead a few years and did not see a guy in college that they really liked, but they really liked Maroney. A bunch of things can acount for the drafting of Maroney.

zippo59 said:
Yes BB did chose to draft a RB this year which could mean he doesn't have much faith in Dillon anymore. However, there are other possibilities
Indeed. And, like I've said, I would like nothing more than the 2004 Dillon with Maroney spelling him for 10 carries, or so, a game. I'm saying nothing other than I want to see it before I get my hopes up.

I agree with every point you made 100%...

BelichickFan said:
Indeed. And, like I've said, I would like nothing more than the 2004 Dillon with Maroney spelling him for 10 carries, or so, a game. I'm saying nothing other than I want to see it before I get my hopes up.

I like Corey and I think he had the greatest single season of any Patriot RB, in 2004, but I think the tank is now half empty. If I am wrong I will be more than glad to admit it. But he is heading towards 32 years of age and big backs drop off pretty quickly after 30.

Maroney, Maroney, Maroney...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye