PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Acquiring a third rd pick in the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patsmaniac

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
With a deep draft this year, it seems the more picks the better. How do you feel the Pats most logical and likely approach would be to getting a third rounder this year be? Would it be trading back or trading a current player? I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

I highly doubt the Patriots get a 3rd for any player they'd be willing to trade. The board tends to overvalue guys, when the reality is most who are traded go for relatively low draft picks. So we aren't trading Mauroney for a 3rd unfortunately.

That said I could see them trade down from one of their 2nds, i.e. 2 3rds or a 3rd and a 2nd in 2011 for their 2nd.

If BB trades out of the 1st round (very likely) he could get a high 2nd and 3rd.

I highly doubt the Patriots get a 3rd for any player they'd be willing to trade. The board tends to overvalue guys, when the reality is most who are traded go for relatively low draft picks. So we aren't trading Mauroney for a 3rd unfortunately.

That said I could see them trade down from one of their 2nds, i.e. 2 3rds or a 3rd and a 2nd in 2011 for their 2nd.

I agree. I most cases the best way to get extra draft picks especially in the higher rounds is to trade other picks.

With a deep draft this year, it seems the more picks the better. How do you feel the Pats most logical and likely approach would be to getting a third rounder this year be? Would it be trading back or trading a current player? I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

there will be plenty of value even later......

If BB trades out of the 1st round (very likely) he could get a high 2nd and 3rd.

If this happens I'm going to rip my hair out. Trading down and out of the first round is inexcusable in this draft.

I think the best option to pick up a 3rd round pick this year is to trade a pick for next year. With 2 first rounders and a thin draft class, I wouldn't miss a 2nd rounder in 2011 for a 3rd in 2010.

If this happens I'm going to rip my hair out. Trading down and out of the first round is inexcusable in this draft.

I'd get use to the idea because honestly i'll be surprised if he doesnt

With the depth of this draft class i may not be opposed to a low 2nd(one of first couple picks) and a low third, for number 22.

That would give us 4s and an early third. I guess if the depth is as good as advertised the difference between number 22 and say 32-35 would be small.

But the consensus seems to be that we need to get some game changers on board......

Give Burgess back to Oakland, ugh that trade sucked.

How about we just trade all of our picks to the second and third rounds :rolleyes: IMO we fine right where we are unless somebody slips Id stay at the spots we are at. This draft is deep but with four picks in the first 2 rounds why would you push your picks back. The first and second rounds are where the talent are this year and a few prospects will slip into the third but it doesn't mean the third round this year will be deeper than the third round last year. Id be perfectly happy if we made just 2 first round picks and a second as opposed to 4 in the second and 1 in the third. I highley doubt we hit on all 5 picks so I say go solid and pick early with safer prospects with good upside as opposed to a JPP who is raw and probably wont develop into a playmaker year one.

Trader Bill will trade back and get some extra picks in this draft. I'm about 90% sure of it. Getting another 3rd would be real nice as there are going to be players that can help still available in this deep draft.

I'd get use to the idea because honestly i'll be surprised if he doesnt

If you keep trading out of the first round, over time you end up with a jag defense just like they have. I'm as big a BB fan as anybody but even he needs a few thoroughbreds. This roster has at most 11 legit NFL starters.

How about we just trade all of our picks to the second and third rounds :rolleyes: IMO we fine right where we are unless somebody slips Id stay at the spots we are at. This draft is deep but with four picks in the first 2 rounds why would you push your picks back. The first and second rounds are where the talent are this year and a few prospects will slip into the third but it doesn't mean the third round this year will be deeper than the third round last year. Id be perfectly happy if we made just 2 first round picks and a second as opposed to 4 in the second and 1 in the third. I highley doubt we hit on all 5 picks so I say go solid and pick early with safer prospects with good upside as opposed to a JPP who is raw and probably wont develop into a playmaker year one.
I'm sure NE will sit tight at #22 and watch how things progress. When mocking out round one for my trade mock I could see some players sliding who might tempt BB to move up - that said, once you get out of the top 15 there's really only one or two players who would suit when you factor in need/value. Trading out of round one again could very well prove to be the best move, though I'm not too interested in trading ahead in 2011 based on how I'm seeing that draft class develop.

Many possibilities.
I say trade #48 for a 3rd and 4th. We end up with a 1st, 2 2nds a third and two 4th. We have lots of holes to fill and this is a deep draft.

If you keep trading out of the first round, over time you end up with a jag defense just like they have. I'm as big a BB fan as anybody but even he needs a few thoroughbreds. This roster has at most 11 legit NFL starters.

Well said!

I have the package. It makes sense . It brings us a need and the Eagles a need.
Chris Cogong was misused in the 4-3. A little small for his hand down and not typical of a 4-3 SLB they tried to make him. His best position is in the 3-4 at OLB ala Vrable. He is young, fast enough at 4.7 for the job, 6' 2" and 262 pounds so he can set the edge and a RFA. Nobody knows why the Eagles drafted him for what they wanted him to do. He was the NCAA sack leader his senior year and showed great quickness at the combine. He has played reasonably well for the Eagles at the wrong positions and he is a very good Special Teams player.

The Eagles need a Safety. "His disciples" on this site will roast me for what I would trade because he has a All Pro status in their mind but I swap our later #48 and S James Sanders for the Eagles #70 and #87 picks in the 3rd round. According to the "superb" fictional NFL trade charts, #48 is worth 420pts and #70 and #87 are worth 395pts but a DE/OLB holds more value than a Safety. Sanders could work out real well for the Eagles. I think Gocong could be a steal.

We pick up what could be, an outstanding pass rushing OLB in our 3-4 scheme with enough size to play in BB's formula that could save us a "need" pick which can be dangerous, and with a very deep draft, two third rounders who can bring us much more value that just #48.
Sanders salary for what could be a back-up roster spot, is very high at $2.7m.

This deal just makes too much sense. Not just one third rounder but I could see our new starting OLB and a pair of thirds which could net us going back ten to #97 (this is according to CBS Sports.com NFL Draft) two of the following:

70 9 Perrish Cox CB Oklahoma State 5-11 189
71 8 Jason Fox OT Miami (Fla.) 6-7 303
72 7 Tyson Alualu DT California 6-2 291
73 6 Toby Gerhart RB Stanford 6-0 231
74 5 Ed ****son TE Oregon 6-4 249
75 8 Austen Lane DE Murray State 6-6 267
76 8 Cam Thomas DT North Carolina 6-4 331
77 9 Jermaine CunninghamDE Florida 6-3 252
78 9 Taylor Price WR Ohio 6-0 204 4.36
79 10 Syd'Quan ThompsonCB California 5-09 182
80 9 Jared Veldheer OT Hillsdale 6-8 312
81 3 Mike Johnson OG Alabama 6-5 312
82 6 Jimmy Graham TE Miami (Fla.) 6-6 260
83 7 Joe McKnight RB Southern California6-0 198 4.42
84 10 Carlton Mitchell WR South Florida 6-4 212 4.45
85 11 Jerome Murphy CB South Florida 6-1 191
86 11 Mike Williams WR Syracuse 6-2 221
87 3 Larry Asante SS Nebraska 6-0 211
88 6 Dan LeFevour QB Central Michigan 6-3 230
89 7 Thaddeus Gibson OLB Ohio State 6-2 240
90 10 Rodger Saffold OT Indiana 6-4 316
91 8 Eric Norwood OLB South Carolina6-1 246
92 4 Sean Lee ILB Penn State 6-2 236 3
93 12 Amari Spievey CB Iowa 6-0 190 3
94 8 Montario HardestyRB Tennessee 6-0 215
95 12 Mardy Gilyard WR Cincinnati 6-0 187
96 10 Greg Hardy DE Mississippi 6-4 279
97 13 Brandon Ghee CB Wake Forest6-0 189

I don't know about what you all think but I an putting WD-40 on that trigger mechanism. Hello Chris, good bye James and I'll take two of those above. I would take Gerhart and Veldheer (what a combine for that kid). Some love Gilyard and some want Lane. Who would you take?
DW Toys

Ideally, you're able to acquire a third round pick from a team with an extra third round pick in exchange for a current player you've like Thomas, Maroney, Light or Wheatley.

Philadelphia, Cleveland and Oakland own two third round picks.

Preferably, I wouldn't trade any of the three second round picks. The Patriots are in a position of strength in this round. This is where you could select a player who proves to be a steal. That is, if you scouted well.

I have the package. It makes sense . It brings us a need and the Eagles a need.
Chris Cogong was misused in the 4-3. A little small for his hand down and not typical of a 4-3 SLB they tried to make him. His best position is in the 3-4 at OLB ala Vrable. He is young, fast enough at 4.7 for the job, 6' 2" and 262 pounds so he can set the edge and a RFA. Nobody knows why the Eagles drafted him for what they wanted him to do. He was the NCAA sack leader his senior year and showed great quickness at the combine. He has played reasonably well for the Eagles at the wrong positions and he is a very good Special Teams player.

The Eagles need a Safety. "His disciples" on this site will roast me for what I would trade because he has a All Pro status in their mind but I swap our later #48 and S James Sanders for the Eagles #70 and #87 picks in the 3rd round. According to the "superb" fictional NFL trade charts, #48 is worth 420pts and #70 and #87 are worth 395pts but a DE/OLB holds more value than a Safety. Sanders could work out real well for the Eagles. I think Gocong could be a steal.

We pick up what could be, an outstanding pass rushing OLB in our 3-4 scheme with enough size to play in BB's formula that could save us a "need" pick which can be dangerous, and with a very deep draft, two third rounders who can bring us much more value that just #48.
Sanders salary for what could be a back-up roster spot, is very high at $2.7m.

This deal just makes too much sense. Not just one third rounder but I could see our new starting OLB and a pair of thirds which could net us going back ten to #97 (this is according to CBS Sports.com NFL Draft) two of the following:

70 9 Perrish Cox CB Oklahoma State 5-11 189
71 8 Jason Fox OT Miami (Fla.) 6-7 303
72 7 Tyson Alualu DT California 6-2 291
73 6 Toby Gerhart RB Stanford 6-0 231
74 5 Ed ****son TE Oregon 6-4 249
75 8 Austen Lane DE Murray State 6-6 267
76 8 Cam Thomas DT North Carolina 6-4 331
77 9 Jermaine CunninghamDE Florida 6-3 252
78 9 Taylor Price WR Ohio 6-0 204 4.36
79 10 Syd'Quan ThompsonCB California 5-09 182
80 9 Jared Veldheer OT Hillsdale 6-8 312
81 3 Mike Johnson OG Alabama 6-5 312
82 6 Jimmy Graham TE Miami (Fla.) 6-6 260
83 7 Joe McKnight RB Southern California6-0 198 4.42
84 10 Carlton Mitchell WR South Florida 6-4 212 4.45
85 11 Jerome Murphy CB South Florida 6-1 191
86 11 Mike Williams WR Syracuse 6-2 221
87 3 Larry Asante SS Nebraska 6-0 211
88 6 Dan LeFevour QB Central Michigan 6-3 230
89 7 Thaddeus Gibson OLB Ohio State 6-2 240
90 10 Rodger Saffold OT Indiana 6-4 316
91 8 Eric Norwood OLB South Carolina6-1 246
92 4 Sean Lee ILB Penn State 6-2 236 3
93 12 Amari Spievey CB Iowa 6-0 190 3
94 8 Montario HardestyRB Tennessee 6-0 215
95 12 Mardy Gilyard WR Cincinnati 6-0 187
96 10 Greg Hardy DE Mississippi 6-4 279
97 13 Brandon Ghee CB Wake Forest6-0 189

I don't know about what you all think but I an putting WD-40 on that trigger mechanism. Hello Chris, good bye James and I'll take two of those above. I would take Gerhart and Veldheer (what a combine for that kid). Some love Gilyard and some want Lane. Who would you take?
DW Toys

I'm confused, could you clear this up?

It's: Sanders and #48 for #70 and #87. Where does CoGong come from if he's restricted?

I expect that Belichick will trade down at least once. We will then likely have a pick in the third.

I'm confused, could you clear this up?

It's: Sanders and #48 for #70 and #87. Where does CoGong come from if he's restricted?
An agreed trade with the Eagles. Don't know what they tendered him but the can pull in prior to Friday if I am correct or they might not have tendered him as of yet.
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye