Welcome to PatsFans.com

ACLU: The terrorist's best friend

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by QuiGon, Aug 17, 2006.

1. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You can thank the ACLU for once again making the job of protecting America more difficult for the authorities in charge.

Osama bin Laden must be just laughing his ass off right now. The ACLU is the terrorist's best friend.
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  2. Mainefan

Mainefan Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

The ACLU is the best friend of the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights, especially freedom of speech. I support it and believe in its mission, even when it sues for Rush Limbaugh's right to privacy and the Nazis' right to freedom of speech. I've personally known the last two presidents of the ACLU and have great respect for them. Offhand, I cannot think of an organization more valuable in the fight to protect the freedoms our forefathers gave us.

I believe that those who dislike the ACLU don't really understand what it does or what it stands for, or that they are happy to give Constitutional guarantees to those they like, but outraged that they are equally available to those they don't.

For those of you who don't know much about this organization, here's a brief description:

"American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), nonpartisan organization devoted to the preservation and extension of the basic rights set forth in the U.S. Constitution. Founded (1920) by such prominent figures as Jane Addams, Helen Keller, Judah Magnus, and Norman Thomas, the ACLU grew out of earlier groups that had defended the rights of conscientious objectors during World War I. Its program is directed toward three major areas of civil liberties: inquiry and expression, including freedom of speech, press, assembly, and religion; equality before the law for everyone, regardless of race, nationality, sex, political opinion, or religious belief; and due process of law for all. Its most significant and successful activities have involved court tests of important civil liberties issues. Since its founding, the ACLU has participated directly or indirectly in almost every major civil liberties case contested in American courts. Among these are the so-called Scopes monkey trial in Tennessee (1925), the Sacco-Vanzetti case (1920s), the federal court test (1933) that ended the censorship of James Joyce's Ulysses, and the landmark Brown v. Board of Education (1954) school desegregation case. In the late 1970s the ACLU defended the right of a neo-Nazi group to march in Skokie, Ill. The ACLU has about 275,000 members in its state organizations. The national office, located in New York City, also supports lobbying and educational activity on behalf of civil liberties issues." -- Columbia Encyclopedia.
  3. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

As a card-carrying member of the ACLU since I was 15 years old, THANK YOU ACLU.

If that makes me a friend of a terrorist's friend, it makes you an idiot.

I didn't hear Republicans bashing the ACLU when they were defending Rush Limbaugh's medical records, though.
  4. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Pujo, such a personal attack is quite unbecoming of you. Looks like I hit a nerve...
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

The ACLU is what it is, nothing more until it becomes a right wing talking point that says stupid things like, Osama loves the ACLU etc.
  6. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

No, I've called people idiots on this board a countless number of times (though mostly Harry Boy). I admit it's not nice, but it doesn't make it untrue.
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +506 / 6 / -2

The ACLU is a joke. It's a liberal organization. I respect certain aspects of it, certian cases it takes on, but when it defended a child against her parents in a case where they were listening in on the kids telephone converstaions, they lost me. I would think a parent should be able to raise there kid accordingly, without the ACLU taking them to court.

Anyhow, in Florida, the ACLU is showing it's true colors by threating a lawsuit against a town that is attempting to pass legislation that would fine and prohibit city contractors for hiring illegal, undocumented workers.

Palm Bay poised for immigrant vote -- full house expected

Victor Manuel Ramos | Sentinel Staff Writer
    Posted August 17, 2006

With Palm Bay officials poised to vote tonight on an ordinance that would penalize the employers of illegal immigrants, supporters and critics are gearing up to converge on City Hall to make their cases.

The local Our Lady of Grace Roman Catholic Church joined several other groups in organizing a 6 p.m. rally and vigil that could attract hundreds. The march will conclude at the city headquarters as the 7 p.m. hearing is scheduled to start.

Supporters of a crackdown also have started an e-mail campaign trying to get people on their side to attend and speak against what they called "the threat of judicial terrorism" from activist groups planning to challenge the ordinance.

The final vote is scheduled just as a coalition of Hispanic, immigrant and civil-rights advocates put Palm Bay on notice that it will take legal action if commissioners approve the measure.

The New York City-based Puerto Rican Legal Defense and Education Fund and the American Civil Liberties Union have already sued the city of Hazleton, Pa., where a more restrictive ordinance passed this summer. The Brevard chapter of the ACLU and the Florida Immigrant Advocacy Center said they also would join any local legal challenge in Palm Bay.

The groups are expected to argue that Palm Bay is pre-empted by Congress in regulating immigration issues, while also contending that there were problems with due process and notification of affected parties. But the argument mobilizing activists is that the legislation also could lead to discrimination against anyone who appears to be an immigrant.

"What employers may end up doing is, for fear of not being compliant, they may feel it's safer not to hire anyone who looks or sounds foreign, i.e., Latinos or anyone who looks brown," said Kevin Aplin, vice president of the Brevard ACLU.

Palm Bay Councilman Andy Anderson, who said he proposed the ordinance out of frustration with the federal government's inaction, said he would not be deterred by threats of protest or lawsuits.

"We have been assured this is a defensible ordinance that is well-written and will stand the test of a legal challenge," Anderson said.

The proposed ordinance would impose fines ranging from $350 to $500 for every instance in which an employer knowingly hires illegal immigrants. It also would ban violators from operating within the city and bidding on public contracts, leaving existing code-enforcement officers to pursue any reported violations.

According to Muzaffar Chishti, an immigration-law expert who directs the Migration Policy Institute at the New York University School of Law, cities such as Palm Bay are effectively precluded from legislating on immigration by Congress, but they have the right to restrict which employers are issued licenses to operate within the city. The key will be how the city enforces the law, because its code officers are not trained or authorized to act as immigration officials.

"Cities are enacting laws and ordinances which are symbolic and which will have very little meaning in law or in impact," Chishti said. "It's clearly giving people the feeling that they are doing something, but they are essentially just writing laws that already exist and create a political reaction."
  8. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

OK, I understand... just like it's true the the ACLU is the terrorist's best friend. It's not nice for me to say, but it's definitely true.
  9. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The ACLU will stand up for your right to call them terrorists, just as they defended the KKK to march and spew hate speech.

They will continue to defend your right to throw your hate speech around QuiGon. I would think you would be more appreciative of that.
  10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

All of America's enemy's right here in America and abroad, all criminals, all savages, all pedophile's, all Communists (whats left of them) all Nazis and anybody else that happens to be a filthy piece of murdering sh!t, they all have one thing in common "THEY LOVE THE ACLU" that is a fact.

The Ku Klux Klan adores them the KLAN sends them donations
  11. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

You conveniently left out your brethren in white hoods. Why??
  12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

I fixed it, I thought "Nazis" would cover all the "lovers"
    :bricks:
  13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +506 / 6 / -2

Gotta love those law abiding ACLU junkies. What I can't quite understand about the ACLU is, which side of the law they are on. I would think they would want to preserve the rights of americans. If so, then why are they so proactive in abedding criminals who infiltrate our border?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

INVASION USA

ACLU smoking dope at border?

Minutemen say photos show 'legal observers' getting high

Posted: April 19, 2005
    1:00 a.m. Eastern
    © 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

ACLU "legal observers" allegedly smoking marijuana while observing Minuteman volunteers (Photo: South East Arizona Republican Club)
    Volunteers with the Minuteman Project in Arizona say "legal observers" sent by the ACLU to monitor the citizen border patrol have been seen smoking marijuana in violation of the law.

Photographs were posted on the website of the South East Arizona Republican Club after Minuteman participants reported they saw, and smelled, the ACLU workers smoking pot.

Eleanor Eisenberg, executive director of the ACLU of Arizona, did not respond to a request for comment given to her assistant by WorldNetDaily.

As WND reported, ACLU activists shadowing the Minuteman Project at the U.S.-Mexican border are actively aiding and abetting aliens attempting to enter the country illegally, according to a spokesman for the volunteer civilian force.

Grey Deacon told Joseph Farah's nationally syndicated "WorldNetDaily RadioActive" audience Friday that ACLU monitors sent to the border to watch Minuteman activity and report civil-liberties abuses to authorities have begun flashing lights, sounding horns and warning off illegals and their "coyote" human smugglers from entering territory patrolled by the volunteers.

"They are actively engaging in criminal activity," said Deacon.

Deacon said the ACLU activists are resorting to new tactics because of the success the Minuteman Project is having in assisting the Border Patrol in spotting illegal aliens and in generating publicity about the insecure U.S.-Mexico border.

The ACLU dispatched its representatives to the 23-mile section of the Arizona border patrolled by the Minutemen after predicting the group would abuse the rights of illegal aliens. No such abuses have materialized to date.

"The ACLU's position is that illegal aliens have a right to enter our border and stay in this country as long as they want," said Deacon. "That's what one of the leaders of the group told me personally."

A volunteer reported, according to the South East Arizona Republican Club, "The ACLU is getting desperate to get something on the Minutemen and are trying to provoke incidents now."

"They pushed one of the Minutemen the other night trying to get him to push back. Didn't work. Then last night they walked up and shined a spotlight right in a Minuteman's face from six inches or so away. Didn't work that time either. We immediately report these types of contacts with them to the sheriff to counter any claims they try to make against us. They should be called the UCLU (Un-American Civil Lawsuit Union).

"They give us the middle finger every chance they get to try to get us to react. We are still trying to figure out if that is their age or IQ."
  14. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't agree with every case the ACLU chooses to persue (though I admit to agreeing with 90+% of them), but people are just trying to sound cool when they say the ACLU's mission is to weaken America. Their mission is to strengthen America, and even if they are going about it 100% the wrong way, it doesn't make their intentions evil.

By the way, your picture is of two kids smoking pot. There are two things wrong with it:
    1. There's nothing wrong with pot. I know it's illegal, but so is driving without a seatbelt - they're both stupid laws.
    2. These kids are VOLUNTEERS. I'm sure the ACLU wouldn't condone them openly doing that if only for the bad publicity, but there isn't any way you can say their actions reflect on the entire organization.
  15. Mainefan

Mainefan Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't exactly know why I'm discussing facts with you, Harry Boy, since that is not the world in which you live. But I guarantee you that not one of the members of the ACLU--not a single one, no one--contributes to the KKK.

Can you say that of the Republican party?

If you're uncomfortable with the ACLU it's because there are parts of the Constitution you feel provide too much freedom, or freedom to people you don't like or don't think deserve it. The problem, Harry, is not the ACLU. There is no organization more genuinely and persistently American. It is you and people like you.
  16. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Are you on drugs?
    What the hell does the KKK have to do with ACLU losers smoking pot on the border? And by the way as far as your "No one in the aclu contributes to the KKK, your probably right, because the KKK is a bunch of white guys, The ACLU does in fact support NAMBLA, CAIR, the UN, and probababy Hamas and Hezbolla--i'd hardly consider that an improvement.
  17. Mainefan

Mainefan Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

ELORocks: please consider your remarks, your character, your parentage, your IQ and your knowledge of anything thoroughly insulted. Why I or anyone else bothers to respond to you, I have no idea. You bring nothing to the table except far-right partisanship. We already have plenty of that, thank you very much.
  18. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Qit trying to change the subject--just admit that what i say is correct, even if you disagree with it doesnt make it wrong.
  19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +657 / 2 / -9

FREEDOM,
    I don't like the idea of ANYBODY feeling free to slaughter my family, when I hear American Liberal Hate Filled Democrats defending Pedophiles and Muslim Terrorists Freedoms it makes my blood boil.

If we had worried about Japan and Germany's "freedom" and "civil liberties" you, today, would have no freedoms whatsoever, do you think for one minute that the successors to Adolph Hitlers Government would allow the ACLU or Cindy Sheehan to exist, Sheehan does her thing because she is free, Castro would have her killed.

America owes it's freedoms to wiretapping, spying, torture, common sense and any method possible all practiced when Japan and Germany tried to "Destroy America".

We have all these freedoms today because during the "World Wars" we didn't slobber pander or go goo goo about our enemy's freedoms, if you grant your enemy your freedoms than he will use your freedoms to destroy your freedoms, he will also blow your guts out.
    :bricks:
  20. Mainefan

Mainefan Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

What you are saying is so far from correct that if this were a multiple-choice question, it would be answer z.