Welcome to PatsFans.com

ACLU says that sex encounters in public bathrooms are "private"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by STFarmy, Jan 16, 2008.

1. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Well, I don't support them because they defend awful people, but I do agree that what Craig did was tacky but certainly should not have been illegal. That said, as a homophobic, right-winger, I'm glad he's caught in his web of lies and hypocrisy.
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +480 / 1 / -9

Patters,
    I started another thread on this before I had my wine and coffee this morning, didn't see this one......

:bricks:
  4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

All consentual sex behind closed doors is private. Trouble is, in a public john, it can get a bit cramped. Rape and molestation is illegal no matter where it happens.
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 4 / -2

I think the ACLU is doing it's typical dance around the spirit of the law versus the letter of the law, while totally ignoring common sense. Sure, anyone in a stall dropping a deuce is entitled to their privacy. I don't think anyone here disputes that. The problem with the ACLU's position here is that it's a public bathroom. If a couple goes into the bathroom, and starts fooling around in a stall, is that therefore protected by privacy? Remember that children use these public restrooms, and therefore lewd acts are not tolerated. In Craig's case, he was more than likely soliciting some play, but my beef is with arresting somebody for moving their fingers and setting their feet wide. I'd like to think it takes a little more than that to arrest someone. I openly admit that I am totally in the dark about how those types of deals work, the underground sex in the mens room stuff, but it just seems like there's considerable room for reasonable doubt.
  6. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

How to play it "safe", RW.

:(

//
  7. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

I agree with you, but I do see the ACLU's point based on this paragraph:

"The ACLU filed a brief Tuesday supporting Craig. It cited a Minnesota Supreme Court ruling 38 years ago that found that people who have sex in closed stalls in public restrooms 'have a reasonable expectation of privacy.'"

If the MN Supreme Court made that ruling, then maybe Craig does have a case. But I don't see why the ACLU should concern itself with that argument. It's more a technical argument. Or does the ACLU believe that people should be allowed to have sex in public bathrooms? Does that mean that those bathrooms should therefore be co-ed so as not to discriminate? This is what annoys me about the ACLU -- they do an enormous amount of good, but every now and then they take on really strange issues. They should leave Larry Craig's defense to his lawyers and not be involved.
  8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 4 / -2

Well, I'd like to know what "closed stalls" means. Some stalls are entirely enclosed, some are not, while some public bathrooms are single units like a you'd have at home. I'd be hard pressed to think that a bathroom at Gillette, where you can see the persons feet from the urinal, and can hear him pass gas as he drops anchor, would be privacy protected for a couple engaging in sexual intercourse. If this is the case the ACLU wants to make, then what they're saying is that two losers fukcing in a stall at the game have the right to do so, and that you, and you're 12 year old son, trying to use the john, can't say squat.

Yeah, if destroying America is an enormous amount of good, then they're great!
  9. Patters

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Check out some of their key cases. I think even you would agree with many, if not most of them:

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur59.htm
  10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +480 / 1 / -9

When I was in the seventh grade our teacher had an open front desk I used to keep dropping hings on the floor so I could look up her dress, she usually wore green silk underwear, in the winter she used to wear brown woolen snuggies, I was 19 years old at the time, she's dead now.

:bricks:
  11. scott c

scott c Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I agree Patters....I also think he caused his wife and family a nightmare of embarassment....for godsake man....get a room......or at least dont lie about it when caught doing it in public.....:D