Welcome to PatsFans.com

According to Journal Sentinel, scouts sour on Bryant and WR class

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by furley, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. furley

furley Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

These are some very harsh comments toward Bryant. I guess time will only tell whether or not they've merit.

I can see Denver selecting him at eleven. But, if Seattle doesn't select him at fourteen, he and agent can forget about being selected in the top fifteen.

Dez Bryant an enigma to NFL personnel - JSOnline
  2. chevss454

chevss454 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

well, guess I can take
    Bryant off my board now.
    :(
  3. stinkypete

stinkypete Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -1

#24 Jersey

The comment of Bryant not fitting in on a sophisticated offense seems to be the killer here. I say the Pats pass given the chance. Yes they traded for Moss, but Moss cost the a 4th round pick and a non-guaranteed contract. A first round pick and a 5 year deal is a much steeper price to pay for a similar risk.

I think the best bet with WRs are the possesion and slot guys. I'd much rather see LaFell, Shipley or Andre Roberts in here than Bryant. Sure, the team needs an eventual replacement, but if we can land a solid #3 WR to complement with Wekler, Edelman and maybe Tate moving forward, we'll be less than screwed.
  4. bucky

bucky Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I find it incredibly annoying how the media like to compare Bryant to Moss just because both had some red flags coming out of school. The facts of the matter are -

Moss has blazing speed - was possible the fastest WR in the NFL when he came in.
    Bryant has average speed by NFL WR standards.

Moss had unprecedented stats in college - 54 TDs and 3500 yds in 2 years.
    Bryant had 1 very good year, but still fell well short of what Moss did in college.

Moss has an awesome football IQ - as testified by BB and the rest of his coaches.
    Bryant's football IQ is not clear to me, though judging by this article, it's not very high.

Moss' issues were much more serious - he had legal problems and a criminal record. However, there were absolutely no questions about him on the field.
    Bryant's issues are not as serious from a life perspective; however, his issues are more football-related around judgment, dedication, maturity, concentration, etc. that can ultimately be more difficult to overcome in terms of becoming a great player.

So really the comparison between the 2 is purely skin deep.
  5. WelshPat

WelshPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Don't let the 40 time fool you, Bryant has no problem getting deep. Is he as fast as a young Moss? No. But how many guys are? Bryants speed is by no means average. He will get deep.

And i disagree that Moss had no problems on the field. He faced a lower level of competition. But the biggest issue he had was press coverage. He rarely saw it in college, but when he did it gave him some problems. It was a legit question if Moss could beat press coverage in the NFL when he came out.

I agree it is a lazy comparison but when the guy bring up Moss in name himself, then it's an easy story to write
  6. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 4 / -3

"Each one of the guys this year has a negative that you don't like," said one scout. "There's Dez Bryant, and the rest are just guys."

Keep in mind that this is the opposite of the way Belichick looks at the draft.

Remember, Deion Branch was a huge reach.
  7. captain stone

captain stone Rookie

Ratings:
    +191 / 42 / -22

No Jersey Selected

More than a couple of scouts might not be impressed with this year's WR class, but we simply cannot wait until next year's class. We need at least 2 WRs to come here & contribute immediately. Sam I Am Not Aiken must not under any circumstances be allowed to see the field as a WR; if he does, then the FO will have failed - miserably.
  8. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

I agree 100%. If Aiken is playing WR, the FO has failed the team.

We have to have at least one body that can run a route correctly and catch the ball. If we have to trade up and take Spiller and put him at WR, then that is what we have to do. But we can not go into next year with Aiken on the field.
  9. BPF

BPF Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

The top guys have some warts but there are some talented WR prospects that seemingly fit Pats scheme. I love Emmanuel Sanders, also like Andre Roberts and Blair White.
  10. furley

furley Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, I'm still curious to see what Denver does with their first round pick.

Still, if I'm Bryant, I do as Tebow and decline an invitation to draft night.
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

I think this class is underwhelming as well, which is why I don't see Bryant, baggage and all, sliding to the Patriots at #22. There is no comparable WR for teams to consider. He will be gone, likely to Seattle I think, by #22. If he is there, I hope the Patriots take him.
  12. letekro

letekro Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 2 / -3

I think Riley Skinner fits as well.
  13. MaineMan

MaineMan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Gaffney is not particularly big and is certainly not "fast" and his hands aren't especially consistent, but he was on the same page as TFB and got open often enough. There are actually several guys in this WR class who can likely contribute at least at a Gaffney level from the get-go (easily displacing Stanback and/or Aiken) and who won't require even a second round pick (e.g., Austin Collie with the Colts last season). For now, that's really all we need - couple of guys like that. We have two first rounders in 2011. The Raiders pick will almost certainly be in the top ten. We can get our "Moss-replacement" then.
  14. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I like this WR class, there's a lot of blue collar kids with good quicks and decent long speed, the kind a Tommy Brady turns into stars. There are also a couple raw kids who have some super star potential projected to the middle and late rounds, and several guys projected as UDFAs whom I can see helping the team if given a chance. I want the kind of WR who had to work to get where he is - Gilyard, Roberts, White, Easley - these kid had nothing handed to them and have earned their status the hard way. Bryant, BB's interviewed him, perhaps he will have a different impression, but I can't warm to the idea.
  15. upstater1

upstater1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 4 / -3

SkinnnnnnnNNNNNERRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!
  16. MaineMan

MaineMan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

If we didn't already have a couple of decent slot guys, I'd go for Jordan Shipley. He'll be a steal for some team in the 4th.
  17. furley

furley Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

18. chevss454

chevss454 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I wouldn't mind Dez Bryant at all. I searched Oklahoma for sportswriters covering Bryant and came up with loads of good, recent information.

Tulsa World: Sports Extra - Blogs - OSU

-- Bill Haisten

Also this:

Tulsa World: Sports Extra - Blogs - Fantasy World

19. FredFromDartmouth

FredFromDartmouth Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 5 / -0

So true. The Felger mental disease has spread to others in the media. I hate it and it hurts the team. Felger has to go.

As far as Bryant I have been saying this all along. Draftnics seem to have fascination with big receivers that I cannot fathom (but then I have fascination with CBs go figure).
  20. chevss454

chevss454 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Rick Gosselin has an interesting take on Dez Bryant feeling JJones may trade up to take him if he slides much beyond the top 10. Gosselin himself says Dez Bryant is a top 10 player.

Cowboys Draft Profile: Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State | Dallas Cowboys Blog | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | The Dallas Morning News

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.