Welcome to PatsFans.com

Abstinence-only programs might work, study says

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Feb 2, 2010.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

This is a twist on the usual abstinence approach and is admittedly should just be part of a larger more comprehensive program. Still it was effective and abstinence education opponents should take some notice.

note: you may have to register to see the entire article but that's quick to do

washingtonpost.com

2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

It hardly seems to be a representative study.

The study released Monday involved 662 African American students from four public middle schools in a city in the Northeastern United States. It was conducted between 2001 and 2004.

And the results sound rather mixed:

Students were randomly assigned to go through one of the following: an eight-hour curriculum that encouraged them to delay having sex; an eight-hour program focused on teaching safe sex; an eight- or 12-hour program that did both; or an eight-hour program focused on teaching them other ways to be healthy, such as eating well and exercising.

Over the next two years, about 33 percent of the students who went through the abstinence program started having sex, compared with about 52 percent who were taught only safe sex. About 42 percent of the students who went through the comprehensive program started having sex, and about 47 percent of those who learned about other ways to be healthy did.

3. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Well that's why the headline says "might work" Chances are if the same study showed opposit results it would be rejected by conservatives and lauded by progressives. I do think it's too early accept or reject the study, but if it winds up reducing teenage pregnancy, why not adopt it?

4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Even assuming the study is accurate, the problem remains the 1/3rd of kids who will not abstain. They need to learn about the dangers of sex, how to practice safe sex, what their responsibilities, what the risks are, and what to do if things go wrong. I would further add that the normalization of sexual activity as a subject of discussion prepares kids to be more responsible adults and parents, even if they abstain. The problem is not with those who abstain, but with those who don't abstain. The challenge is to teach abstinence and sex education at the same time in a way that will promote abstinence.

5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

Liberals Hate The Word "Abstinence" Almost As Much As They Hate The Words "Bush/Palin"

I have to admit that when girls wanted to have sex with me back during the good old days I never "abstained" they knew if I let them "feel me up" that I wouldn't abstain.

6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Hmm. Sounds like you're a liberal. ;)

7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

You know I have a little of it "lurking" in there........:)

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +365 / 11 / -27

Heard and read some analysis of this yesterday, what people have to keep in mind are that the focus was on the economic, and lifestyle impact of abstinence and not on the save yourself for marriage stuff..

The second thing is that there was no long term study of the impact of this method, and when these kids got to high school their rate of pregnancy did happen.. there needs to be a longitudinal study...this could be a very good thing, glad to see it is based on many kids reality not someone elses religious beliefs..

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Considering there are 95,615 middle and grammer schools in the USA and 55 million students attending them you also need to study more than 4 schools and 662 students to get a valid picture.

10. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I'm not all that capable of the science but I’ve done some searches and have found many studies done with sample sizes that are small. Here's just one:

Stats: Binary outcome sample size calculations (August 23, 2000)

What's interesting but not surprising is the enthusiasm level over whether the abstinence study has any validity or not falls in line with one's politics.

I'm inclined to accept the results but I need to see more. The study seemed fair and made several points that may have fallen on depth ears. Righties probably missed the part about attaching no moral value to remaining abstinent or having sex using birth control in the study because of the positive outcome. Now they can trumpet that abstinence is "the way". Lefties want to question the results because it goes against what they already believed about it...I think. Not to over simplify it but the word "abstinence" seems simply to bring out opposite reactions of the right and the left...studies be damned.