PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

? about the cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

eom

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I was just reading in another thread that when you boil it down we're really probably within less than 10 million of the cap, and while I understand things are probably pretty fluid as to creating space, I'd imagine this is a little tighter than is typical of past years, or of other teams' situations.

I was just wondering if there was a primary reason for this, like the defensive line making a bit more than average, or is it simply a case of a bunch of talented and fairly well paid vets adding up across the entire roster.

I was just reading in another thread that when you boil it down we're really probably within less than 10 million of the cap, and while I understand things are probably pretty fluid as to creating space, I'd imagine this is a little tighter than is typical of past years, or of other teams' situations.

I was just wondering if there was a primary reason for this, like the defensive line making a bit more than average, or is it simply a case of a bunch of talented and fairly well paid vets adding up across the entire roster.

Take some time and read this: Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2009 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page Do your own analysis and let us know what your conclusion is.

According to THE SOURCE for Pats salary cap info we are $12.8 million under the cap.

Take some time and read this: Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2009 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page Do your own analysis and let us know what your conclusion is.

According to THE SOURCE for Pats salary cap info we are $12.8 million under the cap.

haha...yeah, thx, dude --- I haven't checked it recently, but I've seen that a few times.
it's how I found this board.

what it obviously doesn't help w/is a comparison to other teams, or rosters in general, which was my question, and which a veteran cap hobbyist might easily answer.

maybe I can study that and give you my analysis between pats teams.....

edit: ok, my first bit of analysis is that we apparently have 30 dudes signed through just this season, which seems kind of high, but I wouldn't have any idea what the typical # is.
do you think this is simply risk aversion due to the possible new cba, or do they have some kind of expectations on the new financial landscape?

I have finished my analysis of '08 pats vs '09 pats, and it seems like it's just the aforementioned case of some vets creeping up in pay, although I'm only comparing an in season payroll to a march payroll, so what I'm wondering is how tight is 10% free cap space in march relative to previous years.
looks like what we've got is just the cap bump ---- how atypical is that?
on the flip side, 55 guys signed is probably pretty strong, so maybe that's another reason.

to wrap up my analysis, after reviewing the #'s, I think the pats must feel pretty comfortable where they're at as far as space, or they wouldn't have sunk 3.7 of it into taylor.
I like the signing, they can use the back, I'm not commenting on his ability one way or the other, but if they were so strapped for cash that they'd be getting screwed on their deals w/a mankins or wilfork I doubt they'd sink that money in a rb.
is $5m a ballpark on rookie cap space, or is it too variable to say?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots