PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

? about Corey Dillon

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradybunch

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
How will this affect the salary cap? Will it open up more money to spend else where?

How will what affect it?

There's a billion different things that could happen now. Retiring might just be the last thing on Dillon's mind.

Asking for his release may mean that he has a big one or two year offer from another team. Can't see the Patriots releasing him, paying him and then having to play against him if he signs with the Jets. If I were Belichick I would say I will release you if you are finished just sign here. If you want to play some more then we are going to trade you.

Asking for his release may mean that he has a big one or two year offer from another team. Can't see the Patriots releasing him, paying him and then having to play against him if he signs with the Jets. If I were Belichick I would say I will release you if you are finished just sign here. If you want to play some more then we are going to trade you.

true very true cant wait to see how this plays itself out!

Not necessarily--particularly if it means paying a $3 million roster bonus to a player who might retire.

When you boil all the goo and dead money issues out, and just ask yourself this question.

Is Corey Dillon worth $2.8 million in 2007 and $500,000 in 2008?
Please remember any second stringer they sign in his place will cost at least $2.5 million instead over that time.

That is what the situation comes down to. All the other moneis are or will be paid out, whether Corey is on the Team or not.

So that is the real question.

According to Corey's agents comments last night, the team has already agreed to release him though. The only reason I can think of for them to do that is the $3M option bonus that he deferred last year is due on March 2 and it still contained the language it previously had which stated if not picked up his season salary would increase by the same $3M and become guaranteed and his deal would be done after that season. The agent also said they had been talking for days and were unable to work things out. That makes this the same thing as the Troy Brown situation of 2005. Which means he could yet be back if he decides he's willing to play for what they are willing to pay him in 2007, or he could go elsewhere if he finds someone who is willing to pay him more, or he could in fact just hang 'em up if the money he's offered isn't enough to motivate him to go through all that getting ready for and playing through another season entails at his age.

His dead cap is $5.7M and would hit the cap all at once if released on March 2nd. There is a new mechanism under the new CBA for releasing 2 vets per year in March and treating them as if released in June though which allows for spreading the cap hit over two seasons. So his dead cap would be $1.9 and $3.8 in 2007-2008 unless they opt to take the hit all at once.

I think Corey's gut reaction was I'm done (as he said to teamates after the AFCC), and that was reinforced when the team said they couldn't justify paying him more than his $2.5M salary this season because he would clearly be a goal line back and injury backup every down back to Maroney. His agent, however, prefers to downplay that and shop him in the hopes of his regaining some urge to play if he is able to find a more financially enticing offer in this flush cap market. Corey does also have some ego issues which exacerbated his relationship with the media here and he might respond differently to being stroked and courted into returning by some other franchise, and that simply isn't going to happen here where he has bonus money due he simply isn't worth.

I appreciate what Corey was and did in 2004. But he hasn't been that player for 2 years running, and he isn't going to be that player ever again. When Belioli teambuild they need to know who they can count on to do what it takes and be motivated to do it even when it hurts. They couldn't really count on Corey last season even though he was said to be giving good effort and working hard and not injured. He seemed to be asking out of a lot of situations and sitting out a lot of series even when the situation screamed for his particular skill set. I think BB has seen the benefit of the two back system, and he wants to make the best possible use of that. Faulk isn't that second back, he's a change of pace back and receiving threat. BB either wants a pounder to compliment Maroney, and that guy has to be available when the situation calls for him, not when he up for answering the call. Or he wants a similar alternate back to team with Maroney and maintain the run threat in conjunction with Maroney as the lead back and replace him when he can't go. Corey and Maroney were just too dissimilar to rotate effectively. There will be some blocking scheme changes in the works this season as well that favor Maroney's skill set, and those would make it harder than ever for Dillon to function in the primary backup or alternate role.

Last edited:
great summary molewisrocks.

I just can't stand this PR mangling of this whole situation. Dillion and his agent need to get on the same page. Why not just come out and say...

"The Patriots have been a wonderful team to play for. I will be eternally grateful to them for letting me be part of their organization. However, they have asked me to restructure my contract. That is their right and I respect that. They extended my contract 3 years ago when they did not have to and I am thankful because of that. In addition, they have indicated that they intend to use me along the same lines as last year where I averaged 12 carries a game. I believe that I am capable of more. I want to play more. I don't want my career to end as a washed up running back riding the end of the bench. I respect Maroney and love the kid. But I don't think I'm done just yet and want the opportunity to prove it. In closing, I believe that it is in the best interests of me and my family to make sure my compensation is consistient with the production that I still think I can deliver. With that said, the Patriots are exploring their options from a salary cap perspective and I feel it is appropriate that I explore the options that are available to me with retirement certainly being an option if such an ideal situation does not present itself. I'm just trying to make it easy and have asked them to release me so I have the fullest opportunity to explore those options."

How will this affect the salary cap? Will it open up more money to spend else where?

The Pats will most likely release Dillon before his option bonus is due. Miguel has reported the dead money hit at $3,517,500. This is about $900K less than if we exercised the option and he played for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back