Welcome to PatsFans.com

Abortion

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

3 to be 4 wrote in the Who are we? sticky, "And if you are a Christian, find me in the Word where abortion is justified."* Intrigued, I did a search to find out what the Bible actually says about abortion, and came across this piece that provides a fairly objective overview of the abortion issue (and is posted on a site called Christian Bible Reference Site, which I know nothing about).

http://www.twopaths.com/faq_abortion.htm

* 3 to be 4, from the link, "Surprisingly, abortion is never mentioned in the Bible."
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I don't give a crap what's in the bible, ripping a baby apart limb by limb is wrong. Pro Choice - how about the babies' choice to not be ripped apart in what should be the safest place in the world; it's mother's womb.
  3. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

The way to get rid of abortion is to provide better care for pregnant women, more time off for new mothers (most developed countries give paid time off for new mothers), better medical and mental health care, etc. Passing a law to prevent abortion in the best case would result in thousands of unwanted, hungry, desperate kids, many belonging to very troubled parents. Your way is a sort of bargain morality in that it costs you absolutely nothing, but it also solves nothing (except perhaps a way of being moral and selfish at the same time?).
  4. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

what a ridiculous, black and white, outlook. that to be Pro-Life means you dont want to provide better care for pregnant women, that you dont want to give time off for new mothers, that you dont want have better mental health and better medical care, that you dont want to support adoption.
    And before you get on the political manta against conservatives, that is two ENTIRELY different subjects. You dont have to be Conservative and Pro-Life.
    I agree the conservatives need to do more on the issues you listed.
    And liberals need to get out of their denial what abortion is.
    Exactly why does Planned Parenthood not allow their patients to view the ultrasound? Why does planned parenthood not talk to the woman about the adoption option?

btw, that link you posted actually provided verses that support the idea of Pro-Life. the commentary provides some pretty twisted conclusions.

finally, as Belichickfan said, take out the "intellectualism" of all this and just use some common sense. Do we really need third trimester abortions?
    have you seen an ultrasound? Do you think a 6 or 7 month old in the womb is just a mass of tissue?
    i guess if a parent wants it its a child. if they dont its a "fetus".
  5. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

That's not what I said. I was referring specifically to BF, who is generally opposed to such programs, as are many anti-abortion conservatives (including those in D.C., who generally oppose social welfare programs), but not all.

I think liberals understand what abortion is. There are some things, like war, care for the terminally ill, and even the death penalty, where right and wrong aren't so black an white. Abortion is like that, too. There are times when a woman is in so much anguish that abortion is an important option. It's not a nice option, but life doesn't always give us pleasant choices.

Did you read it? I posted it because I thought it was fairly balanced and interesting. I'm an atheist, so I don't care what the Bible says, but it is interesting to see how the Bible intersects both sides of the debate, and to read that the Bible doesn't actually mention abortion.

Ultimately, I rely on science to answer these questions for me, but would probably consider restricting abortion in exchange for legislation that provided better care for pregnant women, and young mothers and their kids.
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Adoption. Not killing.

All that other stuff is crap. I'm pro-choice - I believe in the choice of the mother to get pregnant. She could use birth control. She could not have sex. Her choice. But it shouldn't be her choice to kill.

Paid time off for mothers ? What happens after the 3 or 6 months ? Does she get to kill the baby then. Liberal psuedo spread the blame solutions as always.
  7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +235 / 8 / -13

Ironically the countries with all the programs you advocate have the highest abortion rates and the lowest birth rates. AO I think this approach is bull.

The poorest children in any given society are those in households without a father present. 2 parent families given the best prospect for children to wanted and fed.
  8. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Now, now, let's not blame the families . . . it's society's fault. The U.S. sucks, remember ? :bricks:
  9. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

That's not true, at least for the developed countries:

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/2504499.html
    http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/25s3099.html
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_abo_percap-health-abortions-per-capita

So, I guess it proves my point that good social services help reduce abortions. Or do you have another set of statistics that you're using?
  10. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Of course we can blame the families, but what good will that do? Other than make you feel good.
  11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

What good will the ***** ass coddling that you suggest do ? If they're going to be crappy parents there's nothing we can do but killing the babies isn't the answer. Easy adoption with the birth mother giving up all legal rights is.
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

There are many foster kids waiting to be adopted, so apparently adoption is not a solution.

Also, helping people help themselves is not coddling. Taking care of children from troubled homes is not coddling. Are you serious?
  13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

A lot of people are scared to adopt with the birth mother still having rights if she changes her mind.

Not sure I get what you're saying.

Regardless there's one failsafe way to not have this problem and a few almost failsafe ones. But killing babies isn't a good solution.
  14. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

I truly don't think that's the main issue. The main issue is that many of these kids are troubled, and the financial incentives with foster kids makes it feasible for some people.

And, how can call it coddling to help a terribly troubled, scared person deal with an unwanted pregnancy. I thought that was rather heartless of you.
  15. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +235 / 8 / -13

Frankly I was looking at the birth rates of the native populations in Europe which are well below replacement level in most of these countries.
  16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +235 / 8 / -13

I have adopted 2 children both overseas in part due to the issue of the biological parents rights. My wife was an adopted child and was very disturbed by this.
  17. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +519 / 6 / -2

You know, I'm pro-life. I think abortion is murder. I wouldn't bomb a clinic, or not vote for a pro-choice candidate though. I see the validity in cases of rape, incest, medical emergency, etc.. That aside, I find the abortion on demand crowd truly baffling. As BF says, adoption is a far better path to travel.
  18. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Now, now, you're all doing your best to avoid the one proposal that would reduce abortion: help pregnant women, new mothers, and kids, like they do in many European countries where they have fewer abortions. Of course, that conflict with your, ahem, frugality, but being moral isn't always cheap. Sometimes the best way to be moral is to help others, even if that means providing more social services.
  19. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

How long are you planning on helping them ? The problem is crappy mothers with no husband popping them out. 3 months or 6 months or 12 months of assistance won't help. Unless you plan to raise their kids until they're 18.

We should just buy them a vibrator instead, there is a cause and effect in getting pregnant you know.
  20. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +235 / 8 / -13

The European are disappearing as a result of their reproductive rates, Why would anyone want to follow their example are they move towards extinction?