Welcome to PatsFans.com

ABCNews: Obama's Rhetiroic Shifts From Hope to Snark

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wolfpack, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

When the mainstream, liberal media makes an article like this...... well, wow. Just wow. :eek: The article mentions that the out of touch pundits scored this debate a win for Obama but just the simple fact that this article was written at all speaks volumes about how fast they're jumping off the O-bandwagon.

Obama’s Rhetoric Shifts From Hope to Snark - ABC News

If you’re President Obama, you know you pushed the sarcasm envelope at Monday night’s debate when even Rachel Maddow describes the way you spoke to Mitt Romney as being in “very, very overtly patronizing terms.”

Maddow probably meant it as a compliment, but there have been plenty of other observers who were critical of the president’s use of Seinfeldian set-ups and snarky punch lines to score points about military spending and the state of U.S.-Russia relations.

Time’s Mark Halperin described the president’s style as “belittling.” Mike Allen at Politico called it “snide derision.”
  2. IllegalContact

IllegalContact On the Roster

Ratings:
    +397 / 4 / -10

oh.......freaking.......my
  3. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yawn...

It's interesting that in 2000 and 2004, cons jabbed at the left for not being tough enough - whether it be the WoT or elections. Then one gives them the business, and suddenly he's "condescending."

Snide, snarky and patronizing is just what your lying camp of division needs. I find it refreshing. It's the only style your team actually hears, so I hope it continues. He tried reaching across the aisle, even when he didn't have to. Hopefully in his second term, he tells the contingent that's ruining the country - that being the RIGHT - to go **** themselves, which he should have done Day 1.

I swear, it's like dealing with "mean girls" when engaging you people. You don't care about the issues. All you care about is put downs, "derision" and respectful body language. That is, unless one of your own is in charge, then it's all OK.

We're all well aware that you'd demand he was an obedient, submissive puppet. Which really speaks volumes on where your true objections lay.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +650 / 2 / -9

Humming Birds arrive in Maine on the 21st of May each year, they leave to head south on the 8th of September.
  5. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Awesome....4 more years of hatred and divisiveness at the cost of doing anything to actually improve the way things have been going for the last 30 some odd years....(and yes I realize who he has to work with plays a role in this too), but I expect more from the leader of the free world. I'm not asking for a world mover....I'm asking for Bill Clinton's ability to work and get things done.

Both the Dems and Reps can kiss my you know what...they don't care about anything more than who is paying for their next vote.
  6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

Do you really believe that politics are the same as they were during Clinton's time?? When Obama was elected all of them publicly said that they would work against him in any venue. They have pretty much done this, from Issa's hearings designed to do nothing except embarass Obama, to Rush Limbaugh who said "I hope he fails".. to the continued blogging of the right, that looks for any possibility of a scandal..

Congress is polliing about 11% favorability rating, that is significant..

Politics have gotten exponentially more contentious in the past 15 years, to the point where civility is the exception and not the rule.
  7. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Well the history of this forum shows us that belittling, snide derision and overt patronization is right up someones alley:rolleyes:

When did MSNBC's Maddow, Politico's Allen and Time's Halperin join Wolfpack's team? I'm not sure they find it as refreshing as you do.
  8. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Cool story. But I'd say, since the Golden 90s, the hatred and divisiveness started with your camp. From Ken Starr to "with us or with the terrists!" to Mitch McConnell's dumb proclamation.

You may "expect more," but you'd do well to take a much harder look at the right wing, which is purposefully trying to stall the recovery by creating gridlock. You had your chance, and with a 3-side majority, Obama played far nicer than he ever should. And the arrogant, misguided GOP fought him on every inch, and continues to.

Ya can't sucker punch someone from behind and then ask "why you mad, bro?" afterward when everyone's looking. Not without coming off looking like a complete coward.
  9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

10. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I was using Clinton as an example where one party worked with the other to accomplish things.

I have no love for either side....and I said as much. None of them are working to do anything....but ensure the money for their next Mortgage Payment makes it to their bank account.
  11. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +397 / 4 / -10

and darryl will tell you that the current uncooperative spirit is 100% the responsibility of the republicans even though that is incorrect
  12. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

What is my camp? We have been down this road before Titus. "My camp" is "Team gets things done". If it is an R who leads and accomplishes things, then cool. If it is a D, also cool. And Independent? Sweet I'm on board.

This is the exact thing I was speaking to the in the Chris Matthews thread. You (and many others on both sides) aren't about doing what is best for the country. You are about conquering the other side....the Enemy as you put it in one of your many peak oil posts.

I have no issue with Obama's demeanor during the debate. He isn't my candidate, what do I care? My issue is with your point of telling the other side to $&$*$ off.....because that has worked so well for all of us in the last 12 years (and with the Rs who do the same toward Obama).

To me, not working with each other is no longer an option.
  13. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Honestly I don't care who is responsible for it. I really don't.

They both do it; at the detriment of the country as a whole.

Common sense has been replaced with Mortal Combat's Narrator's voice

Finish Him
  14. Hamar

Hamar Rookie

Ratings:
    +158 / 0 / -1

You do realize that his excuse for everything is that the Republicans block all the great things he wanted to do, right? So, either he was too weak to get things done (even when he had a super-majority) in which case he will get nothing done next term, or he just did not want to take any responsibility for anything other than his golf score. Either way, it is a good reason not to vote him in again.

I love how he says the Republicans blocked his budget and jobs bills yet no Democrats voted in favor of them...
  15. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yup, because it's 100% true.

False Dichotomy just called, asking for you.

Cool story. Too bad every Dem cept Nelson and Tester approved his jobs bill. Did you think that was gonna pass the sniff test, or were you just completely unaware of the public record on that vote?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...assage-job-bill-in-face-likely-senate-defeat/
  16. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +359 / 11 / -27

It seems as though you are implying that there has not been an effort, when one side said says hope he fails and their leaders on the airwaves declared war against him.. what do you expect him to do, secede to the effort of the other side??? Just acquiesce to their desire???

Someone missed the memo, if he fails we all fail.. there have been bills that have been supported upwards of 70% of the American people, that were shot down by congress.. for no other reason than Obama/Pelosi/Reid supported the bill.

Issa declared early on he would hold hearings everyday on Obama, and he has done so.. he has blinders on to everything else going on in this country...
  17. Hamar

Hamar Rookie

Ratings:
    +158 / 0 / -1

He had almost two years to pass anything he wanted. He had no problem pushing the healthcare bill. So, it is not 100% true. False dichotomy? It was an either or...

The jobs bill was initially stop from going to the floor by Harry Reid so that he could make changes to it. The Obama budget is yet to even hit the floor because it is so ridiculous that it embarrasses other Democrats.
  18. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

I don't pretend to be an expert on the inner workings of DC, so this is simply an observation from my couch....but leaders throughout time have overcome resistance from whoever their opposition is.

Do you mean to tell me that Jefferson, Lincoln, Teddy R., FDR, Dwight, JFK, and Clinton faced no opposition at all? That they were simply lucky that they had people on the other side to rubber stamp their grand plans? If you think that (and it is your right to do so) that is fine. I just simply don't see that as the case.

Those leaders inspired those around them, both those in government, and the general populations beyond it. And with inspiration, came a willingness to put aside personal beliefs for the sake of doing something great. Be it fighting Fascism in Europe and Asia, building an interstate highway system, putting a man on the moon or bringing the country back together as one land, where holding other human beings in bondage would no longer be the law of half the land.

My personal opinion is Obama never inspired those around him; especially those on the other side; those that for two years he would have to work with. Beyond which he spent a tremendous amount of political capital on Obamacare...and with the result of that bill - the compromised form of it, that prolly cost him more support from the Right.

I am not sure what all you did during your career, job wise. But an anology Ill make is the leader at my previous job. Super nice guy, but when it came time to lead - you know to rally the troops, to set a plan, gather ideas on how those plans would be met and exceeded etc etc etc he had no gumption/moxy/balls/[enter your term of choice here]. He didn't inspire his team/employees to achieve anything great. He only inspired them to do enough to not get fired.

Does the President deserve all the blame? No he doesn't. Not by a mile. As you pointed out, Congress has an 11% approval rating for a reason.

But to me, the saying "the buck stops here" means something. The POTUS is the CEO, and if the CEO isn't getting the job done, that says they arent a very good CEO. Especially when we have had other CEOs who have got the job done, even in the face of opposition (whether or not the politics in the days of those mentioned above was as polarizing; I dont have those facts in front of me at the moment).

Doing enough to "not get fired" isn't enough for me. I expect more of my President, regardless of the letter behind his/her name.

Unfortunately for me, the person I want to have as CEO has no chance of getting it....so whatevs.

D
  19. IllegalContact

Ratings:
    +397 / 4 / -10

you are welcome to provide substantiated specific examples....otherwise you're not saying anything
  20. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Proof positive that cons were holding their ever-loving breath during that whole filibuster bluff. LOL!!! .... It's all so vivid now. I love getting a good strong whiff of a premise cons knew had no ballast all along.

Regardless, Obama was unwilling to tell the GOP to go **** themselves, which was exactly what he SHOULD have done. But poor destitute cons would have absolutely FLIPPED out.

So, yeah, I guess some people can play a semantics game with "100%." But I see it as Obama reaching across the aisle, like a leader is supposed to do. He let the GOP sit in their diapers and have their little temper tantrum. Then picked them up and gave them a hug and a good belching. Ya know, "for the good of the country."

No, it wasn't. And I just explained option 3 to you.

The world of "black or white" just betrayed another conservative. That is unless you see the bipartisan aim of appeasing your spoiled brat heroes as "weakness." What a metaphor.

No, he wasn't "weak" nor "irresponsible." He was being differential and pragmatic. Two virtues GOP candidates always sorely lack.

LOL... why am I not surprised you would entirely shift the goalposts now that your ridiculous statement was held accountable?

How can you have a "vote" on something that was never called to a vote? Just admit you were wrong, or at the very least, typed your point poorly.

You said "no dems" voted for his jobs bill. When, in fact, almost ALL of them did. If his original bill wasn't embraced by his constituents, then say that. But don't try and pass off ever more silliness that the "original" bill was ever called to a vote and somehow 100% rejected on the open floor for all the world to see.

Fail.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012