Welcome to PatsFans.com

ABC: Foley E-mail was between Foley and an 18 year old!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by ELOrocks17, Oct 4, 2006.

1. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So reports Drudge---nothing wrong with that...alot of apologies due!

2. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

No apologies. What Foley did was wrong. I for one is glad he is out. the pages are politically motivated kids who are out to make career enhancing contacts to further their future careers (Jeez when I was 16-18 al i cared about was track, surfing Girls and the Grateful Dead, not building a political career). They are easy target for people in a position of power.

I do object to the un substainted allegations that Hastert turned a lbind eye to abuses by Foley. Also differentiate between the emails to the kid in LA and the IM's from 2003.

3. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

I went to the website Drudge references after looking over the material it does put things in a different light. here is a link to the website with the info about the guys who got the explicit IM's. He was over 18 when the exchanges with Foley took place he was also out of the Page program. Leagally the guy was an unmarried adult. Foley was an unmarried adult.

Given this what was Hastert to do?

Would the dems have called Hastert and the republicans homophobes, for try to regulate the sex life of a gay male (Foley) and his interactions with other adult males?

At what age is internet sex between OK? 18? 21? 22?

How bout it Patters, How much input should Hastert have (if he had known about these IM's) into the sex life of a gay middle age and another adult male?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  4. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Forget it--Patters will never give you a straight answer.

5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +587 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

Don't try and make the Democrats to be the hypocrites :D

I'm no fan of 55 year old men being attracted to 18 year old men. But outside of that issue, I have failed to be overly distracted by this whole thing. AFAIC, 16 should be the age of consent anyway, once you're 16 you know what you're doing and what you want.

6. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Isnt 16 the legal age in DC?

7. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +587 / 14 / -14

#24 Jersey

Yeah, it is. 18 in some other places.

8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +811 / 2 / -9

The republican Homosexual has turned the Democrats into a party of Homophobes.

The backlash is starting, their hatred and thought of Bush beating them "twice" has driven them all nuts.

The country should not be turned over to these "insane jacka$ses" in a time of war.

CASTRATE ALL PEDOPHILES BEFOR XMAS
    SEXUAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR ALL POLITICIANS AND SCOUT LEADERS

Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +348 / 15 / -11

First, from this morning's Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/05/AR2006100500008_pf.html

"Some of the instant messages were previously reported by ABC News. The conversations occurred between December 2002 and October 2003, according to the date stamps on the computer files. The vast majority of the messages were between Foley and one of the two former pages. Some of the exchanges took place before the boy turned 18."

Second, the Republicans brought this upon themselves. By investigating (and spending $40 million of taxpayer money) Clinton's affair with Lewinsky, they elevated private sexual behavior into a Constitutional issue. As a result, it is clear that if the House leadership knew that Foley was sending inappropriate emails to young pages, they had an obligation to investigate. The reason that the Repugs are turning on each other is because some of them felt that more should have been done, and that Hastert failed them. I strongly suspect that there's more to this story than we know right now.

Third, patsfan13, it doesn't matter that Foley is gay. (As you know, Clinton wasn't gay.) It matters that he's using his position to take advantage of young people and that the House leadership, aware of his inappropriate behavior, allowed him to be a leader on child abuse issues.

10. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

With the caveats Patters, and let's not confuse email and IM's, the ones with sexual content took place after the guy was 18, and after he was a page.

The emails (or IM's we don't know) that took place before the kid were 18 may not have been of a sexual nature (ie 'innocent') remember Foley knew the laws and may have played the game to stay within the law.

It is unusal to find heteros ~50 having a relationship with someone in the 18-21 age group, as I am not familiar with the social patterns of gay people, would it be very unusal for an older gay man to have a relationship with a youger (but legal) gay man?

Again this situation is evolving very rapidly. The Soros group behind the disclosures may have overstepped. Having said that I think this Oct suprise even if fraudelent (ie the sexual emails were between adults and legal) the oct suprise will work to the dems favor, even better than the dui thing in 2000.

BTW the young man has lawyered up with Mr Jones from Ok, they guy who defended McVeigh, he has some high powered talent there, and a defense atty. HMMMM

11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

The other thing that is fascinating about this story is that the blogsphere is getting way ahead of the MSM a la rathergate. The dinosaur media will be playing catchup from here on out with this story.

I think the presence of the blogsphere and internet will change the way the political drtytrick game is played (by both sides).

12. Patters

Ratings:
    +348 / 15 / -11

Isn't that just a technicality? After all, the age of consent in DC is 16, so it's not clear if Foley even broke the law. What is clear is that he was a pervert and that the house leadership was aware of that, but did not investigate.

The way this scandal is unfolding, it seems clear tha Foley by resigning was trying to pre-empt an investigation. Clinton didn't break the law either by having sex with Lewinsky, but I don't think that was the point.

I've never known anyone with that kind of relationship, but occasionally you read or here about something, just as you hear about wealthy people buying trophy wives.

What are you talking about with regard to the Soros group? Are you serious? The ABC reporter said that his sources were Republican. There's obviously some sort of battle going on in the Republican Party. Otherwise, why would they turn on each other so quickly? If you think this scandal is fraudulent, then it follows that you recognize the Clinton impeachment was fraudulent, too. Should the RNC refund the $40 million for that witchhunt?

The way the Republicans are reacting, I really think there are several story lines playing out simultaneously.

13. Seymour93

Seymour93 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Dismiss Foley's disgusting actions all you want, this scandal is hitting home with the voters - polls show it.

The reason it's having an effect on the American people is because this is a man who was leading the campaign against sex predators in Congress. This is a man who held back tears when he was honoring pages on the House floor. This is a man who's called homosexuals revolting. It's an amazing story, that out of all people Foley would be a gay, child molester.

I know you want to ignore it but as WaPo said there were multiple victims and they were under 18 for a time as well. Who knows how many more there are.

With allegations that an intoxicated Foley was turned away at the pages' dorm, it's only bound to get worse.

The part of the scandal that hurts the GOP the most is the supposed "tough on crime" Republican leadership putting politics and power ahead of the pages' safety. Voters will not forget Hastert & Co.'s role in this.

14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

HAHAHAHa, I'm dismissing nothing about Foley, I'm glad the RINO is gone. HE is a creep and it is good he is out of congress.

The issue of whether this was a dirty trick, and whether there was anything illegal or whether the 'victim' was an adult or not are very different issues, don't confuse them kid.

The FBI has contacted the guy Edmunds and he is lawyered up with a high powered defense atty. BTW the guy is the asst campaign mgr for a pubbie Ishtook who is running for Gov in OK. Ishtook was a pal of Foley's wonder how Edminds got the job??? 21 seems young for this sort of position. We may find out this guy is no babe in the woods.

This will be a real can of worms.

Get some popcorn pull up a chair and enjoy the show. :rolleyes:

15. Patters

Ratings:
    +348 / 15 / -11

What evidence do you have that it was a dirty trick? Not even Drudge has found anything in that regard, and all you posted was a blog that lists some members of Congress rumored to be gay.

At least one boy was under 18, but the age of consent in DC is 16. It's perfectly legal for Congressmen to send perverted emails to kid and masturbate while voting. Is that your point? I think we're talking about ethics here, not law.

So now you're blaming the page! I think you'll have to blame several of them. Blame the victim. That's the Republican way.

16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

Well Patters the kid who was under 18 got an email from Foley with no sexual content, this is the one that was floated last year that the press thought too innocous to follow up on. The guy Edmund is the guy the FBI wants to talk to. BTW here is another tidbit from a RW blog. The bloggers are way ahead of the press on this Drudge will rehash stuff from the blogsphere, not develop any of his own stuff.

The FBI will be quite busy over the next few days with computers and all. BTW There is an emergency closed door meeting of the House Ethics committee later today.

The FBI is visiting Edmund the 'victim' tomorrow that why he lawyered up.

I tippe dyou off to Rogers a while ago remember?

17. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

As to blaming the page...i'm blaming no one, as I said when Foley send the nasty email to Edmund, he wasn't a page and was over 18, consenting adults. HE was bragging to some of his frat buddies at U Cal Berkley about the IM, hsi freinds are being contacted too.

I'm don't know anything for certain, but the next few days will be very interresting.

BTW if someone held the 'nasty' emails and didn't turn them in to authorities (assuming the WaPo is correct and sexualy explicit emails were sent to a minor) then the person(s) who hid withheld the emails are criminally Liable.

18. Patters

Ratings:
    +348 / 15 / -11

Not sure what your point is about Fordham. After all, he's a Republican. And, as I said about Mike Rogers, who you did tip me off to, his site is simply an outing site, and has nothing to do with the page scandal as far as I could tell. Rogers apparently posts the names of prominent right-wingers rumored to be gay, and as I said earlier, it is perfectly legal to be a self-loathing homosexual. The right wing bloggers are desperately searching for an angle, but claiming the IMs were manufactured seems a little too bizarre. After all, if that was the case, I assume Foley wouldn't have resigned so quickly.

Also, If the Republicans are innocent in anyway on this issue, they're sure going about proving it in a funny way.

19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +303 / 9 / -12

Read post #16 Rogers may be involved with OFley's CoS who just resigned and is visiting with the FBI today.

Goley is a sick creep, his MO seems to be to wait until the target of his affections is no longer a page and initiate contact after the kid turns 18, a real creep.

Foley was forced out when discovered.

Unlike some here Patters you have been around enough to know how hardball is played. Looks like this one could blow up though.

Oh yeah this is hitting the papers in Ok when Edmund is currently.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  20. Patters

Ratings:
    +348 / 15 / -11

My own feeling is that if the Repugs weren't guilty as sin, they wouldn't be turning on each other the way they are. It is possible that they're exploiting this issue in an internal power struggle, but that seems unlikely given the proximity to the elections. I think all the finger pointing is being done because some senior Republicans know they are guilty. I think they probably knew more than they're letting on, and that's what's likely to come out in the next few days.

And, remember, as the Washington Post article noted, some of the IMs were sent to the page when he was 17. Again, the big issue is the failure of the leadership to do anything about this matter, and to cover it up by not reporting it to the appropriate body in Congress.