Welcome to PatsFans.com

ABC caves in to dems--alters 9-11 movie

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by ELOrocks17, Sep 7, 2006.

1. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2006
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

You beat me too it.

So much for freedom of the press eh? This is comical.

ABC Alters 9/11 Show Under Pressure

By Scott Collins, Times Staff Writer

ABC's upcoming five-hour docudrama "The Path to 9/11" is quickly becoming a political cause célèbre.

The network has in recent days made changes to the film, set to air Sunday and Monday, after leading political figures, many of them Democrats, complained about bias and alleged inaccuracies. Meanwhile, a left-wing organization has launched a letter-writing campaign urging the network to "correct" or dump the miniseries, while conservative blogs have launched a vigorous defense.

"The Path to 9/11," whose large ensemble includes Harvey Keitel and Patricia Heaton, offers a panoramic sweep of the events leading up to the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. The movie dramatizes what it deems intelligence and operational failures of the Clinton and Bush administrations, relying heavily on public records. Thomas Kean, the chairman of the 9/11 commission, served as a consultant.

After a screening of the first episode in Washington last week, some audience members attacked the film's depiction of the Clinton administration's pursuit of Osama bin Laden. Among those unhappy was Richard Ben-Veniste, an attorney and member of the 9/11 commission whom some conservatives have dismissed as a Democratic attack dog. Richard A. Clarke, the former counterterrorism czar, has criticized the movie for suggesting that the Clinton administration was in a position to capture Bin Laden in 1998 but canceled the mission at the last minute.

After much discussion, ABC executives and the producers toned down, but did not eliminate entirely, a scene that involved Clinton's national security advisor, Samuel R. "Sandy" Berger, declining to give the order to kill Bin Laden, according to a person involved with the film who declined to be identified because of the sensitivities involved.

"That sequence has been the focus of attention," the source said, adding: "These are very slight alterations."

In addition, the network decided that the credits would say the film is based "in part" on the 9/11 commission report, rather than simply "based on" the bestselling report, as the producers originally intended.

ABC, meanwhile, is tip-toeing away from the film's version of events. In a statement, the network said the miniseries "is a dramatization, not a documentary, drawn from a variety of sources, including the 9/11 commission report, other published materials and from personal interviews."

The statement adds: "The events that lead to 9/11 originally sparked great debate, so it's not surprising that a movie surrounding those events has revived the debate. The attacks were a pivotal moment in our history that should never be forgotten and it's fitting that the discussion continues."

None of ABC's moves is likely to quell the debate, however.

The Center for American Progress Action Fund, a liberal advocacy group, said on Wednesday it had collected 25,000 letters asking ABC to either correct or cancel the miniseries. "The miniseries presents an agenda that blames the Clinton administration for the 9/11 attacks while ignoring numerous errors and failures of the Bush administration," the center said in a news release.
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Yep, Just like CBS caved in to the crybaby righties when CBS wanted to broadcast a biopic of Reagan that suggested he was a bit senile. CBS actually never showed it on their network, but instead broadcast it on cable. Yep, typical left wing BS, but one should never give the righties credit for being farsighted. What goes around comes around, and ELOrocks, the times they are a'changin'.
  4. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Slight difference Patters--the Regan biopic was about 1 thing..Regan, the 9-11 film is not about Clinton..its about his atrocious behavior surrounding 9-11
  5. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Oh, ELOrocks, please, I can't even believe that you believe your rationalization here. There's no difference. Each movie was offensive in some way to a powerful political constituency. I guarantee that if ABC's movie was highly critical of Bush, the Republicans would be doing all they could to stop it.
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

The Democrats and all their "Freedom Blubbering" are full of sh!t.

Clinton has always been so worried about his legacy in history, well, Billy Blue Dress' legacy is and always will be "HE IS NOTHING BUT A F-CKING DIRTY JOKE" the history students of the future will all be giggling and snickering whenever the a$s holes name is mentioned.

President Wiliam Masturbation Clinton :singing:

CLINTON HAD EIGHT YEARS
    BUSH HAD EIGHT MONTHS

The Democrat Censorship of the ABC show has been reported, the people know, Fox News, Coulter, Limbaugh, Bloggers, Internet, ect these outlets won't let it die, this is a good thing the f-cking dingobats have done, it shows the country what biased sore losing untruthful phony bastards they really are.

CLINTON HAD EIGHT YEARS
    BUSH HAD EIGHT MONTHS don't the left wing morons think the people don't know this, how do you stop an attack plan that had been worked on and rehearsed for almost a decade in eight months.
    CLINTON WAS HAVING SEX WITH MOVIE STARS WHILE MOHAMMAD ATTA WAS LEARNING HOW TO FLY BUT NOT LAND, IN CLINTONS AMERICA.
    :bricks:
  7. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Harry, you hypocrite, you know as well as I do the freedom blubbering Republicans would do the same thing, and did do the same thing in stopping the biopic of Reagan, and attempting to stop Michael Moore' F-9/11.

It's the media who talks about legacy, not Clinton. Clinton's pointed out that his legacy won't be decided until long after he's gone. Right now, politics clouds the legacy of every president for the last 40 or so years.

What is it with you? Are you some kind of pervert? You are so obsessed with something that most people regard as not all that significant. If you were obsessed with his perjury or even his adultery, that would be a different matter. But, you risk coming across as a dirty old man with your obsession about the dress and Clinton's penis. Quit it already.

Actually, Clinton didn't have 8 years. The plan for 9/11 was hatched two years prior to 9/11. Also, Bush had the advantage of all the intelligence gathered during the Clinton administration, and even with that, he failed. Under Bush, 6,000 Americans have died so far. (That's his legacy.)
  8. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

To give this docudrama the gravitas it deserves, there should be a scene with all of the Clintonites running around the West Wing at ludicrously high speed with the theme from the Benny Hill show playing in background as Osama slips through the hands of the special forces guys just waiting for Presidential authorization before blasting him.

Its documentaries like this that make me wonder if Charlie Manson isn't really just a totally misunderstood hippy. All I really know about his life is from Helter Skelter.

Who knows, I skipped the Reagan doc, so I don't know squat about it, and unless both evening Football games this weekend suck, I doubt I'll be able to speak of this one either. It does sound like this is the absolute end for all but the most hard-core nitwitcons to spout on and on about how TV is biased towards the left, although I'm sure it won't stop ours.
  9. Real World

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

Patters, the outrage over that show was due to the timing. Reagan had just died, and many felt it was a tad insensitive to run the show. I think the outrage by the Clinton'ites is very telling. I think they understand that the sheeple they've so relied on could very well believe everything they see and hear on TV. This stuff is too funny.
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

yeah one was aimed at depicting the onset of Alzhimers (spelling) and the other depicts the travishamockery of an entire adminstration and nation. Same thing eh?
  11. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +236 / 8 / -13

Since you haven't been around here too long, you need to understand that many here see no moral difference between the Administration and the Terrorist.

Sad but that's the way it is.
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

One told the true story of a President who suffered from Alzheimers. The other told a fictional version of a national tragedy in a way that would offend many people. True, they're different, but like I said, both offended powerful political groups, and when those groups get offended they object, kind of like the right wing did with the factual Fahrenheit 9/11.
  13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

I didn't say anything about Clinton's Penis
  14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +236 / 8 / -13

Well there is a difference between a docudrama and fiction. The incidents where information wasn't shared because of the wall of separation which was documented by the memo from J Gorelick to Mary Jo White and the incident where S Berger woud permit the CIA to take down OBl are both documented in the 9-11 report. The docudrama didn't even mention when Clinton passed on the Sudan's offer to trun over OBL.

I don't know much about the Reagan film, who were the sources was Reagan diagnosed prior to his term experiation? IIRC the announcement of Reagan having Alzheimers was 3-4 years after he left the WH. So I can't comment on the Reagan film.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  15. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,047 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Patters only you could compare the 2nd worst attack on our country with senility...which by the way...your post hints you may need to see a Dr.
  16. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,047 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Almost correct patsfan13

Conservatives = enemy #1

Terrorists = enemy #2

Simply count all the liberal articles about terrorism and how it must be defeated

vs

Simply count all the liberal articles concerning how Bush and the conservatives must be defeated.

Just a guess...but somewhere around 1/10 for the terrorism articles.
    However, if a count could be made ut is not unreasonable to think 1/25 for terrorism articles.
  17. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Factual farenheit 9-11???? hahahahahah whats next? Are you going to tell me unicorns are real?
  18. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +1,047 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

If you did not then you are innocent of spreading the rumor that it
    is severly bent to the left... suprised Monica's tonsils are still intact.

That's one thing about the current Presidential Penis...that one knows
    who needs to get pooned next...just like Zarqawi...laser guided weapon.
  19. Patters

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Even Disney now admits that the movie has some fictional scenes and is not fully based on the 9/11 report. Although the script was shown only to right wingers, evidently enough Clinton people learned about it that they were able to make specific objections to fictional scenes. Perhaps if those scenes are eliminated or otherwise modified, the film will be okay.

It's a shame you're not better informed and you spread misinformation that is promulgated by right wing pundits. They rely on sources like Sudan's former Minister of State for Defense Erwa. He's the one who claimed the offer was made. But, neither the Clinton Administration nor the 9/11 Commission makes such a claim.

http://www.9-11commission.gov/staff_statements/staff_statement_5.pdf

"These contacts with Sudan, which went on for years, have become a source of controversy. Former Sudanese officials claim that Sudan offered to expel Bin Ladin to the United States. Clinton administration officials deny ever receiving such an offer. We have not found any reliable evidence to support the Sudanese claim."

I mean I guess if you want to trust Sudanese more than Clinton

I never saw the film, and if I remember correctly the reviews said it was pretty lousy, but I gather it depicted a few schmaltzy scenes about Reagan's memory lapses.
  20. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +236 / 8 / -13