PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Hernandez or Jermain Gresham?

TriplecHamp

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Well Im a UF Fan so Ive seen alot of him and I think he or Jermain Gresham could give us a TE that can stretch the field but I think Gresham is the better Redzone Target. Yeah its wayyy to early but right now who would you take assuming OLB was adressed?

Last edited:
Both good players. I have them as the top 2 TE's in my first mock, with Gresham going late 1st and Hernandez mid/late 2nd. Hernandez is supposedly gone after this year, and could shoot up, but he's a bit on the short side at 6'2". I'd probably go Gresham, but I don't want a TE in the first 2 rounds unless Watson leaves.

Both good players. I have them as the top 2 TE's in my first mock, with Gresham going late 1st and Hernandez mid/late 2nd. Hernandez is supposedly gone after this year, and could shoot up, but he's a bit on the short side at 6'2". I'd probably go Gresham, but I don't want a TE in the first 2 rounds unless Watson leaves.

You think Gresham will remain ahead of Hernandez even after the injury?

Like both of these players and i wouldnt put it past BB to take a TE high in the draft but if that first rounder is not a DE/OLB or an Interior Lineman i will be pissed. These TEs better be the next Dallas Clark or Gates to justify that pick

You think Gresham will remain ahead of Hernandez even after the injury?

I think of Gresham as a top 15 guy who will fall to the 20-30 range because of his injury, unless there is evidence to suggest a lack of recovery. I think Hernandez is a fast riser who will end up in the 2nd round, but I think he is unlikely to crack the 1st round. A scorching combine could make him another Dustin Keller sneaking into the late 1st round, but I don't think it's likely given the depth and talent that will probably be in this year's draft. If it does happen, great, as it will push more DL and OL guys down to us.

I don't know, I'm weary of UF guys. They seem to have more busts than other programs.

There is no way I'd take a TE in either of the first two rounds. Watson can stretch the field down the middle but we don't look his way often. Baker was signed to a multi-year contract and is seldom used. We like going 3 wide and 4 wide with WR. Watson could be nightmare matchup if he was used more consistently, but we just don't use our TE's that much.

I watched Chris Baker for the Jets the past few years and the guy has a knack for getting open in the red zone and has good hands, yet even though we continue to struggle in red zone offense, we don't use him. Every week i jot down some of my keys to the game and some suggestions on what I think we should do. Every week since the week 2 loss to the Jets where we couldn't punch the ball in the endzone and settled for 3 FG, I have written "Use Chris Baker in red zone - has knack for getting open." We are heading into Week 13 and still haven't done it.

I don't know, I'm weary of UF guys. They seem to have more busts than other programs.

I believe they also have more players on NFL rosters than any other program.

...or did until recently.

There is no way I'd take a TE in either of the first two rounds. Watson can stretch the field down the middle but we don't look his way often. Baker was signed to a multi-year contract and is seldom used. We like going 3 wide and 4 wide with WR. Watson could be nightmare matchup if he was used more consistently, but we just don't use our TE's that much.

I watched Chris Baker for the Jets the past few years and the guy has a knack for getting open in the red zone and has good hands, yet even though we continue to struggle in red zone offense, we don't use him. Every week i jot down some of my keys to the game and some suggestions on what I think we should do. Every week since the week 2 loss to the Jets where we couldn't punch the ball in the endzone and settled for 3 FG, I have written "Use Chris Baker in red zone - has knack for getting open." We are heading into Week 13 and still haven't done it.

I recall Baker being terrific for us in the red zone in preseason. We haven't used him since.

I recall Baker being terrific for us in the red zone in preseason. We haven't used him since.

Yessir he was great in preseason. I don't know why we signed him if we aren't going to use him. I think bringing him in inside the 20 would really help our red zone offense.

BB has spent two firsts on the TE position in Daniel Graham and Watson. Graham had a highly productive career at Colorado yet his greatest asset w/ the Pats was his blocking ability. Watson remains somewhat an enigma. He had impressive pre-draft workouts, solid character, and smarts. Given his size and speed, the thought/hope was he'd be a mismatch vs the slower LBs/Safeties of the league -- hasn't happened.

So the feeling here is, reserve round one for other positions of need, and if the TE position needs to be addressed, do so via FA or later rounds. But that's just my preference.

Hernandez or Gresham?

I'll take Moeaki (Iowa) or Graham (Wisc)

Not under Urban Meyer. See Percy Harvin. Hell, even Louis Murphy is making noise out in Oakland.

Anyway, I would go with Gresham over Hernandez just because he's better suited and built to be an NFL TE. Hernandez sure wouldn't look bad in a Patriot uniform, though (assuming we don't re-sign Watson).

Again you have to examine Florida's offensive scheme to project how Hernandez would perform in our scheme. Florida plays a very funky spread option scheme with very little option route running. Also blocking for running plays out of the spread option is very different than blocking on the end of the line. Also can Hernandez get off the LOS in the NFL, especially if the QB is under center and the defense is crowding the LOS?

Or is Hernandez really a glorified H Back?

Gresham was a man among boys last season at TE,but how will he run at the combine? I know from personal experience that the hands never disappear after a knee injury and straight line speed comes back first after a knee injury,but can Gresham make cuts? Cuts equal separation in the NFL, no cutting ability, no separation. The doctor's reports will determine Gresham's final grade.

An under rated TE prospect that I think BB will take a look at (if he runs 4.6 or better) is Peek of Alabama. Devastating blocker, decent route runner and has hands, but how fast is he?

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back