PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Dobson

Status
Not open for further replies.
No.

The rule for the patriots is that we dump players; they are mediocre elsewhere, and the assumption is that they could not have developed if they stayed.

Yes, I would take Tate instead of Tyms in a minute. Price and Lloyd had medical problems that we didn't deal with. If that had been done, PERHAPS one of these players would be producing more than Tyms or Dobson at about the same cost.
Tate stinks.
What medical problems that "we didn't deal with" are you talking about?

Being benched twice in the same game for false starts isn't helping his cause either. Has to play a lot smarter than that if he wants to see the field on this team.

Was it twice? He must be in a fog. You can't fall asleep on this team, I hope he snaps out of it.

He hasn't been giving a fair chance this year, to be honest. I'm not a fan of players earning their playing time through practice. Or "you play how you practice". I guarantee you put the kid out there and give him starter snaps, he will produce.

I bet if he was on the Broncos, Colts, Cowboys or Saints he would be putting up solid numbers.

Where would he fit in with the Broncos? They have their top 3 options..he wouldn't see the field. Dallas? Wouldn't see the field with bryant and williams. Saints maybe

He hasn't been giving a fair chance this year, to be honest. I'm not a fan of players earning their playing time through practice. Or "you play how you practice". I guarantee you put the kid out there and give him starter snaps, he will produce.

I bet if he was on the Broncos, Colts, Cowboys or Saints he would be putting up solid numbers.

Do please explain.

No.

The rule for the patriots is that we dump players; they are mediocre elsewhere, and the assumption is that they could not have developed if they stayed.

Yes, I would take Tate instead of Tyms in a minute. Price and Lloyd had medical problems that we didn't deal with. If that had been done, PERHAPS one of these players would be producing more than Tyms or Dobson at about the same cost.

Letting Lloyd get away over money was a mistake, but come on:

Brandon Tate - 49 catches in his 5th season
Taylor Price - 5 catches in his 4th season

Yeah, shame they got away.

I wouldn't mind landing VJax if all it costs is a 3rd. Right now Dobson is battling with Tyms to get on the field as the 3rd/4th wideout but we are going to be seeing a lot of double TE sets with Gronk and Wright clicking.

Jackson would not only cost a mid round pick, but he has cap hits around 10 million dollars for this year (which would obviously be prorated), as well as 2015 and 2016.

I'd have a difficult time envisioning Belichick giving VJax that kind of money. I don't think it'd be a good move right now.

Had it been 6-7m a year, he probably still wouldn't take him, but there would be a lot more ammo from us fans to argue for it. I'd have liked to see someone brought in around that kind of salary, myself.

Yeah, Tate has to be on his last legs in Cincinnati this year. He does nothing for them, which sticks out even more in 27-0 losses when AJ Green isn't around.

We're discussing the bottom of our roster, but let's clarify.

1) OK, so we agree on Lloyd. IMHO, he had a medical condition that we couldn't deal with.

2) What you are pointing out is that Tate did not succeed on another team. My personal belief is that he might have been better than Tyms if he had stayed,

3) With regard to Price, he had a medical condition, was not treated well, and he left. And he has failed.

The patriots have had a very difficult time finding and developing WR's. All, that I am suggesting is that they might have a better #5 (and perhaps #4) than we have if we had done a better job with who we had in house.

1) OK, so we agree on Lloyd. IMHO, he had a medical condition that we couldn't deal with.

And yet they were more than happy to deal with his "medical condition" if he agreed to take a reduced salary to stay.

2) What you are pointing out is that Tate did not succeed on another team. My personal belief is that he might have been better than Tyms if he had stayed,

Tate's been gone since the end of the 2010 season. Repeat: 2010

There was no "Tate v. Tyms" situation ever in play.

3) With regard to Price, he had a medical condition, was not treated well, and he left. And he has failed.

He's a receiver who can't..... play receiver. That's not a medical condition.

The patriots have had a very difficult time finding and developing WR's. All, that I am suggesting is that they might have a better #5 (and perhaps #4) than we have if we had done a better job with who we had in house.

They might have a better #4/#5 if they'd drafted better, but that's about the player, not the team development. That's true with Josh Boyce as well (and maybe Aaron Dobson), BTW.

Where would he fit in with the Broncos? They have their top 3 options..he wouldn't see the field. Dallas? Wouldn't see the field with bryant and williams. Saints maybe

I'm talking hypothetically, if they initialy drafted him

I just have a hard time thinking the player we saw against the saints, steelers etc. who had 500yards and 4td's and suddently seemed to have chemistry with brady just suddenly dropped off a cliff to where he cant even get on the field.

either its a problem with our coaching staff developing players where someone can go from being semi-productive to a total stiff or im not sure

I just have a hard time thinking the player we saw against the saints, steelers etc. who had 500yards and 4td's and suddently seemed to have chemistry with brady just suddenly dropped off a cliff to where he cant even get on the field.

either its a problem with our coaching staff developing players where someone can go from being semi-productive to a total stiff or im not sure

I think the team knew in free agency that he wasn't going to be healthy early in the season so they signed Lafell. Lafell took Dobsons job and the rest is history. I still think Dobson is the second best receiver on the team if he got the reps Lafell gets.

Last edited:
WR by commitee. None of our receivers will set the world on fire, there is other ways of winning football games without a big name receiver as New England has shown but man the WR position has left much to be desired around these parts. Even the worst teams in the league seem to have a go to receiver that can just make something out of nothing i.e big, physical and can just dominate d-backs. New England just places a different value on receivers and favors the 2 TE set I guess.

I still think Dobson is the second best receiver on the team if he got the reps Lafell gets.

Based on what? He is 20+ games in his career and has not established himself as an NFL WR.

And yet they were more than happy to deal with his "medical condition" if he agreed to take a reduced salary to stay.

I think that you know better. The team simply decided to move on. Lloyd would likely have been our #2 WR. Later in the offseason, the team didn't want to pay him to be the #5 receiver. With regard tot he medical condition, the team didn't deal with it while Lloyd was with the team. The medical staff has a horrible record, especially with mental conditions which they don't even seem to try to address.

My bottom line is that in the offseason, Lloyd was available for little money. The team had no interest. The team had its own plan to bring in a new set of receivers. The team was so sure of their plan that they didn't even want Edelman much. We were very, very lucky that no team offered Edelman much. The team finally brought Edelman back for short money.

Last edited:
Based on what? He is 20+ games in his career and has not established himself as an NFL WR.

Just my non professional opinion. I'm basing that off mostly his rookie season where he was thrown right into the fire and played pretty well. It's a small sample size because of the injury, but before he got hurt he was more than effective. If we could get that type of play from him for 16 games we are looking at a 1000 yard reciever.

I'm ok with Dobson right now, this offense has put together a nice stretch, no one has done anything to lose snaps. They're hot right now and I think it's ok to just let it run its course, Dobson will get his chances.

38 pages on a guy who has 3 catches, boggles my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes