PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Dobson - underestimated even as a rookie?

No, but pointing to any 2nd round WR's "skills" as proof of future sucess is idiotic, as evidenced by Jackson, as well as many others throughough history. Saying that the only thing a 2nd round draft pick WR needs is to get acclimated to the offense is ridiculous. If it were that easy to spot the successful WRs, that position wouldn't be at the top of the annual bust rates. Dobson could end up being the greatest WR of all time. He could also be a complete bust.

I get what you are saying, don't make me out to be an idiot. What I was saying was not that he is a 2nd round wide receiver all he has to do is get acclimated to the NE offense and he'll do well, no that's not what I said. I didn't even mention anything about what round the guy was taken in, that was YOU that brought that up by comparing him to Chad Jackson, which by numbers there was not much to compare. All I was saying is that, from MY OPINION based on his intangibles, and upside that I THINK he has the type of skill that can translate into the NFL, and that he just needs to pick up the offense and develop chemistry with Tom (that's what I meant by acclimated) and he'll do well. And that's based off of his skillset, I said nothing about second round, you brought that up.

Randle started one game...krist

I get what you are saying, don't make me out to be an idiot. What I was saying was not that he is a 2nd round wide receiver all he has to do is get acclimated to the NE offense and he'll do well, no that's not what I said. I didn't even mention anything about what round the guy was taken in, that was YOU that brought that up by comparing him to Chad Jackson, which by numbers there was not much to compare. All I was saying is that, from MY OPINION based on his intangibles, and upside that I THINK he has the type of skill that can translate into the NFL, and that he just needs to pick up the offense and develop chemistry with Tom (that's what I meant by acclimated) and he'll do well. And that's based off of his skillset, I said nothing about second round, you brought that up.

I hope that you're right (obviously).

One thing that I try to keep in mind is that this specific offense calls for perfect timing, running the right routes and options based on what you and the QB both see, being accountable for yourself and ALL positions, and many other cerebral skills. When you look at it that way, many of the so-called "numbers" from the combine probably don't matter nearly as much as they may on other teams.

Dobson is a huge unknown. We can only hope that Belichick has addressed the issue that has held some other better players back and chosen to do something about it by drafting and bringing in WR's who he feels can better contribute to this offense.

Oh, that is perfectly reasonable, sorry for my misread. I agree that fans get overexuberant about rookies, particularly after the first round where they have a 50/50 shot of being any good. At best.

It comes down to the position itself and how people deal. Personally, I think that a lot of people here are "overexuberant" (as you say) about Dobson because they realize how much this passing offense is going to need him to "get it" right out of the gates. So they want to believe that he's going to be the next Randy Moss (just taking a comparison from this thread, excuse the hyperbole). If neither he nor Boyce are effective in their rookie seasons, the offense could be in big trouble.

I get what you are saying, don't make me out to be an idiot. What I was saying was not that he is a 2nd round wide receiver all he has to do is get acclimated to the NE offense and he'll do well, no that's not what I said.

Aaron Dobson is younger, but offers way more upside, softer hands and IMO a better skillset. Just needs to get acclimated with the offense and we're in business.

You're arguing with yourself.

It comes down to the position itself and how people deal. Personally, I think that a lot of people here are "overexuberant" (as you say) about Dobson because they realize how much this passing offense is going to need him to "get it" right out of the gates. So they want to believe that he's going to be the next Randy Moss (just taking a comparison from this thread, excuse the hyperbole). If neither he nor Boyce are effective in their rookie seasons, the offense could be in big trouble.

LOL! :D

Yeah, they certainly won't be breaking any NFL records if both rookies flame out, but even if everything reasonable goes horribly wrong (no rookies step up, Amendola pops an achilles week 2, Gronk only plays 4 games all year) I still have a hard time seeing them any worse than league average on offense.

I am encouraged by NE's recent rebuilds and feel that they will hit on at least one draft pick and one FA/UDFA. Lest we forget, they weren't knocking the cover off the ball with TE acquisitions prior to 2010 and they hadn't had a plus RB draft in Bill's entire tenure before 2011. They seem to do better when stripping things to the studs than they do when searching for supplemental pieces.

Lloyd usually went down of his own accord like no player I have ever seen on an NFL football field, and that includes the young children of NFL players before or after a game. I can understand the need to avoid certain hits that might detach your brain stem but the constant need to flop and drop in place was unprecedented in my view.

In no way should my opinion deflect from his career achievements or his attempts to find employment going forward.

In the case of Brandon Lloyd as the old saying goes "be careful what you wish for." Look who is healthy and still on his couch. I am sure after BB and JD evaluated BL's plays from last year they come away saying we got hood winked. Brandon Lloyd would be a great touch football receiver. Somebody will pick him up but only if they are decimated by injuries...here's hoping it ain't us.:cool:

I hope he plays more like Terry Glenn than Chad Jackson in his rookie season.

LOL! :D

Yeah, they certainly won't be breaking any NFL records if both rookies flame out, but even if everything reasonable goes horribly wrong (no rookies step up, Amendola pops an achilles week 2, Gronk only plays 4 games all year) I still have a hard time seeing them any worse than league average on offense.

I don't see them any worse than the league average either. The GOAT is playing quarterback for the Patriots, so they should still be able to keep up with most teams on their schedule even if the rookies don't get it and everything you mention happens. Brady is simply that good.

I don't see them any worse than the league average either. The GOAT is playing quarterback for the Patriots, so they should still be able to keep up with most teams on their schedule even if the rookies don't get it and everything you mention happens. Brady is simply that good.

Exactly, Brady doesn't care about the # on the jersey, he just hits whoever is open, doesn't matter if it's 83 or 80.

I am encouraged by NE's recent rebuilds and feel that they will hit on at least one draft pick and one FA/UDFA. est we forget, they weren't knocking the cover off the ball with TE acquisitions prior to 2010 and they hadn't had a plus RB draft in Bill's entire tenure before 2011. They seem to do better when stripping things to the studs than they do when searching for supplemental pieces.

Sounds about right. Bill always has had a knack for finding diamonds in the rough.

Sounds about right. Bill always has had a knack for finding diamonds in the rough.

Not always. There were a few drafts in there where relative whiffs, especially early on in said drafts, ended up setting the franchise back. But, when he's needed to rebuild on the fly with youth at a position of need lately, he's done pretty well. TE in 2010, RB in 2011, edge rusher in 2012. Hopefully he doesn't go 3-1 since 2010 on that this year because we really need the young WR's to contribute... and fast.

I hope he plays more like Terry Glenn than Chad Jackson in his rookie season.

As long as he doesn't bring Glenn's melodrama, I would love a Terry Glenn type of rookie season. But few rookie WRs have over 1,100 yards and 6 TDs their rookie season especially in the Pats' offense. Not that you are saying he will have a Glenn type of season. Just hoping.

As long as he doesn't bring Glenn's melodrama, I would love a Terry Glenn type of rookie season. But few rookie WRs have over 1,100 yards and 6 TDs their rookie season especially in the Pats' offense. Not that you are saying he will have a Glenn type of season. Just hoping.

Man, I really thought Glenn was going to be great, reminded me so much of Lynn Swann. Caught Tom Brady's 1st TD pass ever.

I hope it is better than that. Dobson has a chance to be a starter and 298 yards and 3 TDs isn't what you hope from a starter. Besides, Randle had to fight for balls with Cruz and Nicks.

Well it could be worse. Dobson's first year could look like Eric Decker:

Eric Decker NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

But if he ends up with Decker's 3rd year eventually, I wouldn't mind. :)

I hope his 1st year looks more like Decker's 2nd year though. We are hoping for a lot from a rookie though. Just keep that in mind. Even the good ones take time to develop.

Has any one ever looked at Aaron's pro-day numbers stacked up against some of the other bigger outside receivers that have come out of the draft in recent years. I threw together him against these 3 players below and I have to say I'm impressed, he stacked up well. If he had been able to workout at the combine and put up these results I think he'd of been a top 25 pick.

Player HT WT 40 20 10 B V BD S C
Dobson 6'3 210 4.37 2.6 1.51 16 35 10.01 4.33 7.19
A.J. Green 6'4 211 4.48 2.53 1.55 18 34.5 10.06 4.21 6.91
Julio Jones 6'3 220 4.34 2.47 1.5 17 38.5 N/A 4.25 6.66
Dez Bryant 6'2 224 4.52 2.51 1.53 14 38 11.01 4.46 7.1

HT-Height
WT-Weight
B-Bench
V-Vertical
BD-Broad Jump
S-Shuffle
C-3 Cone

We may have something here boys and girls :rocker:

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back