Welcome to PatsFans.com

A Warm and Fuzzy Moment with Bush and Moms who lost Sons in Iraq..

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Jun 2, 2007.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

Came across this story in the Chicago Trib, talks about how when George met with some moms gave them a commemorative coin and told them not to sell it on E-Bay.. his detachment only indicates how out of touch he is with the parents who have lost their children in Iraq. While every mom is not a Cindy Sheehan, there are many others who are not happy with the way things are going.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/news_theswamp/2007/05/bush_to_mother_.html

Several mothers who have lost children at war in Iraq took part in a new talk show today on National Public Radio.

One of them, Elaine Johnson, recounted a meeting that she had with President Bush in which he gave her a presidential coin and told her and five other families: "Don’t go sell it on eBay.”

The president told her that the war goes on because the U.S. has "a mission'' to complete. But Johnson says she has discovered her own mission now: Fighting to bring the troops home.
  2. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

yeah... gotta call bullsh*t on this one... I am not saying it's impossible, just calling bullsh*t...
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +186 / 6 / -23

After the zillion faux pas's this guy has done in just about every setting why would you doubt them??? Do you have a source, or is it your gut feeling??
  4. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh, just a gut feeling... It would be tough to have a "source" to confirm a negative, dont'cha think..? And while you say the guy has a "zillion faux pas," one thing we have rarely (if ever) seen is anything other than compassion and sorrow when mourning the loss of life, whether we are talking about civilians killed on September 11 or servicemen killed in the line of duty.

EDIT: Another thing I would have to see would be the context of the (alleged) statement. If it was in the middle of a memorial service with people weeping and grave silence and he said that, I'd be the first to call him a jackass. But if it was done during a lighter moment where there was ongoing light conversation and smiles all around, I wouldn't exactly consider it the most egregious offense a politician could commit. But that's just me.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  5. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It really just sounds like a botched joke to me. Maybe not the most sensitive thing to say under the circumstances, but I don't get a mean feeling out of it, like I would if he seriously told her not to sell it on eBay.
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 4 / -2

This sounds a little urban to me. Who knows though, Shaq got traded.
  7. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I call BS on your "gut feeling..."