PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A video of our final offensive drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And one more thing, I used that same site to upload the BB 2 part documentary. There were 839 downloads of them. Those people know how to use that site. It's not rocket science.

If you use the regular download, not premium, you get a pop-up add for some adult dating site. It's not rocket science. :rolleyes:

If you use the regular download, not premium, you get a pop-up add for some adult dating site. It's not rocket science. :rolleyes:

So..what else you surf on the internet....:D ;)

I have a pop up killer so I don't see it lol.

So..what else you surf on the internet....:D ;)

I have a pop up killer so I don't see it lol.

I have popup blocker, yours must be better than mine.

I love the 2 throws to Woodhead out of the backfield on that drive. I feel like we don't throw to our runningbacks often enough. I feel like those check downs can be lethal for us, especially with Ridley or Woodhead, both of them have great acceleration.

The completion to Welker with :31 left.. seriously I have no clue how that ball got in there..perfect coverage

Some things that caught my eye:

1. Brady's composure finding Woodhead on the first dumpoff to him. The pass rush was closing in and Brady had to move around and look for him.

2. On the TD pass, Brady reset his arm and threw the moment he saw the safety chase Gronk to the short outside and Hernandez cut deep inside. It's like Tom looked at the safety and said to himself "Gronk or Aaron...Gronk or Aaron...(safety goes to Gronk)...Aaron!"

Regards,
Chris

I heard some people saying dallas went into a prevent defense , and that is why the patriots were able to drive. This video debunks this theory.

ahh love watching that.. anyone think Tom could of had Woodhead on the last play too.. a millisecond later he would of been open with a linebacker on him

If you can call early 2000s vintage, that was vintage Patriots. Defense holds the high powered offense to FGs instead of TDs, makes a key stop to get the ball back with just over 2 minutes and Brady makes his best throws of the game in one drive.

Sheer poetry. Could watch that drive 100 times and not get bored :rocker:

well you can.

go out and download "a tube" this allows you to D-Load Youtube videos onto your PC. I got "a tube" the other day it is FREE:)

On another note, Woodhead was wide open just right before AH got the TD, and he is mismatched with a LB as well, so many weapons we have right there, Dallas DBs look shellshocked on that last drive, like they never believed Brady can thread the Needle like that, all his throws on that last drive has an openning window of less than 0.5 seconds!

NFL Videos: Drive of the Week: Brady at his best

found this video with analysis on the nfl site. the TD showed just how scared dallas was of the checkdown from the play just before it. looks like dallas dallas playing the checkdown and trying to eat up passing lanes on the TD. The TD was brilliant, i can't decide what was better; the playcall, with deep crossing routes and the checkdown option underneath or the execution of the play.
moral of the story, we've been spoiled rotten with number 12's greatness.

I just downloaded that drive to add to my personal Brady collection.

It was like he knew the blitz was coming, but just didn't give a -- cause he was still gonna throw to his recievers. He was in his own head, for the first time in a while, he didn't care for his stats, Gisele, the hightlight reel or his hair, he wanted to win and he knew that he needed this game to make it known to the league the Patriots are still here.

Sadly that drive isn't getting enough love from ESPN who wants to point fingers at Garrett and at Ryan supposedly switching up the defense, when the defense seemed to have been doing the same thing they did all game. The only thing changed in that last 2 minutes was Brady. Another pathetic way for ESPN to to discredit Brady and overrate Rodgers for tearing up terrible teams, with no offense(with the exception of New Orleans)

Some things that caught my eye:

<snip>
More thoughts on a play-by-play basis:

1. Pass to Hernandez for 1st down. This play was *huge* for the Pats' psyche because it provided immediate success, getting the first down and giving them confidence that they will move the ball downfield for at least the tying FG. Gronk (and Dallas' choice of how to defend him) played a key role in this play; The LB on him chipped him to slow his route, but then drifted inside to a short zone, then the deep safety picked him up as he cut deep outside. The LB and safety on this play opened up the soft space inbetween zones for AH to get open. The CB covering AH was also playing zone and perhaps played him a bit soft and too much to the outside. Dallas tightened their coverage up going forward.

Brady must have seen something either pre-snap or was determined that this play would open up Hernandez, because he looked that way the whole time. Meanwhile, Branch and Welker were lined up on the other side of the play and Branch was able to rub Welker's defender into his own, causing Welker to be wide open for what likely would have been about a 10-15yd gain.

2. Pass to Gronk for 1st down OOB @ 2:02. This was such a great play for several reasons. First, the Pats knew time was of the essence so they *immediately* got to the line after the previous play. Next, Gronk ran a great route to ensure they got the 1st down and get OOB to stop the clock. Third, Brady made a pinpoint throw as he was about to get popped. And finally, because the Pats were so diligent in lining up and executing the play so quickly, they guaranteed they could run one more play *of their choosing* (no need to work the sidelines) and have the 2-minute warning stop the clock for them.

Dallas' coverage was excellent on this play. The WRs at the top were blanketed. AH was locked down. #50 had Gronk covered very well as he only got minor separation after his outcut. Woody got open in the middle as the safety valve, but would have got tackled for a short gain. With that kind of coverage and Brady getting rushed like that, I can't emphasize enough what a great read and throw he made.

3. Quick flare to Welker for 5yds at 2-minute warning. Brady saw Welker uncovered at the LOS, so he quickly snapped the ball before Dallas could move its defenders and got the ball out to him quickly. The safety got in fast as did the CB on Branch, keeping the gain minimal and tackling him inbounds, but thanks to the previous play the Pats didn't care about sidelines so much. Great recognition by Brady and Welker as this play looked like a hot read based on the speed of the snap and how Welker immediately turned for the ball.

4. Out to Welker for 1st down OOB. For the first time this series, the TEs and WRs switched sides and the defenders appeared to get confused. Branch on the outside cut inside and took #41 with him, allowing Welker to get outside past #32 in man coverage. #32 looked at #41 after the play as if to say, "You were supposed to stay in short zone and let the deep safety pick up Branch".

5. Dumpoff to Woody for 9yds. Rob Ryan ran one of the Ryan Brothers' patented "1 DL, 4 guys standing...guess who's rushing the QB" gimmicks that worked well. Maybe Brady could have found Branch early in the play as he appeared open, but the rush caused enough confusion to allow coverage to get back to him and force Brady to look around some more. Finally, he found Woody as the safety valve after using good footwork to avoid the rush. Dallas fans have to tip their cap to Brady on this as he did a good job against a good call by Ryan. Also give kudos to Brian Waters as he didn't commit early to blocking someone, making himself available to pickup the blitzing CB at the last moment which was the key to giving Brady the extra time to find Woody.

What's been important up to this point is that the Pats were making significant yardage on each of their plays, either first downs or manageable 2nd downs. At no point did they put themselves in 2nd-and-long or 3rd-and-long, tipping the advantage to the D. This would be huge on the next two plays.

6. Incomplete slant to Welker. Dallas was bringing the heat and lined up their secondary in tight man coverage. Brady and Welker recognized this and attempted the textbook "no safety in the middle, run the slant to the spot where the blitzing LB vacated" adjustment. Unfortunately it didn't work. Nice D call by Dallas, nice adjustment by the Pats. Edge goes to Dallas on this one.

7. Brady sneak for 1st down. With 2 WRs and one TE all split wide, this was enough to spread out the D to give Brady the 1.5yds needed to get the 1st down. At just inside the 30yd line and with Woody instead of BJGE behind Brady, I'm a bit surprised Dallas' DL and LBs didn't prepare for the sneak as the Pats were likely kicking the long FG if the sneak failed; I don't think this was two-down territory.

8. Pass to Woody for 1st down. Again, Dallas came with the "1 DL, everyone else standing up" D. Maybe they thought they could trick the Pats into keeping in extra blockers even though they were only rushing 4. Instead, the Pats ran a clearout for Woody, aided by #50's very deep drop into coverage which allowed Woody to easily get the 1st down. I'm convinced this play was a result of all the designed plays to WRs and TEs earlier in the drive, causing Dallas to focus their D on those guys instead of any pass plays designed to the RB.

9. Pass to Welker across the middle for 6yds. Welker lined up outside with Branch inside him. Welker's defender played well off the ball while Branch's lined up right over him. If Branch's defender goes with him deep or outside, there was a good chance Welker's defender was too far off and would allow Welker plenty of room over the middle on an in-cut...especially if the Dallas LB blitzed from that side. At the snap, the LB did blitz and Welker cut inside. Unfortunately, the defender on Branch was in a short zone and was there when Welker cut towards him. Welker was still able to cut in front of him for the short completion. Nice play on both sides of the ball.

10. TD to Hernandez. Dallas zone-blitzed on this play, initially rushed only 3 and then dropped of the NT into short coverage so they had *nine* guys in coverage when it was all said and done. DeMarcus Ware got a great jump to the outside on his rush, but the dinged Light was ready and Mankins sprinted back to help him. With the TEs lined up to the left, Brady looked their way the whole time. Each TE had a defender on him with a lone safety sitting in the endzone for support. As Gronk cut early underneath AH before AH made his cut, there was a moment when both TEs were in the same area. The safety jumped over to that area to help, at which point AH made his cut to where the safety vacated. Brady saw this and instantly unleashed the bullet to AH for the game-winner. If somehow Brady decided the TEs were a bad option, Woody appeared to break free underneath against man-coverage by #93 late in the play and was cutting into Brady's field-of-vision and would have been the next best alternative.

For Dallas fans and the media to pin this Cowboys loss on Jason Garett's decision to play conservative the previous drive *ridiculously* short-changes what the Pats did on this drive to win the game. The Pats put on a clinic on running a 2-minute offense. Outstanding examples of time management, using the sidelines, using different receivers and formations, route and read adjustments, making enough yards to keep the offense out of a hole, blitz pickups and other aspects were bountiful in this sequence. This drive ranks up there with Denver 2003 as one of the best regular-season come-from-behind drives in Pats history and don't let anyone tell you that Dallas gave this game away. The Pats took it away, period.

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
The look on Ryan's face after that drive was "CLASSIC" LOL :p

i think even woodhead was wide open on last TD throw but brady chose to make the difficult and indefensible pass.

I have popup blocker, yours must be better than mine.

I got a pop-up blocker too...

it's called "old age"...

oh wait...an internet pop-up blocker?...nevermind....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back