Welcome to PatsFans.com

A Victim Treats His Mugger Right

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, Mar 28, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,129 / 3 / -10

3. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

See now that's how I'd expect Jesus to handle the situation if he were walking the Earth today.

How come I can't picture any of his followers doing it?

4. weswelker#83

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

They don't believe it! :D

/atheist.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  5. 363839

363839 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

"...Made him bend to their religion..." Ian Anderson

Good point. SDaniels.

6. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Would that be the Jesus who "took offense to this, and so, creating a whip from some cords, drives out the livestock, scatters the coins of the money changers, and turns over their tables, and those of the people selling doves" while calling them a den of thieves?

7. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +466 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

I think this person may have had the best observation quote:

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ". Mohandas K Gandhi

In this day and age I think you'd have to go more in the direction of what would Anton Chigur do. The killer from NCFOM

8. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Sorry but after reading that I'm going to call bullsh!t on this story. It reads too much like something out of a made for TV special. Why would the robber go have dinner with the guy then give him his wallet back if he wants the money so bad? Why after mugging someone would he do anything but run? You're telling me he's going to stop, walk back to the guy giving more time for an ID if he got picked up by the cops not to mention the fact that the guy might try something on him to get his wallet back? Then he's going to go to dinner with the guy he just robbed? Then after their dinner and heart to heart talk he's going to give the guy his knife? This whole story just doesn't wash with me. Anyone else, or am I the only coldhearted SOB that would think that?

9. weswelker#83

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

You know that Npr can not make things up , because they can be sued.
    You know the journalist who wrote the story had to go and interview the restaurant , and the people involved in ths story.
    So all the people involved in this story are lying ( the journalist,Julio Diaz,the robber,the waiters,the manager,the dishwashers,etc,etc,etc), that's what you are saying now.

10. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +466 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

It may not sound plausable but fact is stranger than fiction. The guy is a social worker who's use to dealing with this type of kid. The kid well we don't know how old he is. If he's a very young teenager the social worker might be able to talk him down. Maybe it was the kids first robbery and not only was surprised by the response he got,but really didn't want to go through with itin the first place,and felt guilty about it and this was the way out. Who knows,if it really happened its a pretty impressive story.

11. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Wait, where does it say anywhere that anyone was interviewed about this story or anything like that? As far as I can tell this is a recording of this guy's story, he can say whatever he wants. The whole premise of this "StoryCorps" thing is for people to submit their own stories, not for NPR to vett what they submit.

Here's some info on how this story came to be on NPR:

http://www.storycorps.net/about/faqs#what-makes-stroycorps-different

"Unlike traditional oral history interviews, a StoryCorps interview is done by two people who know each other. We believe that being interviewed by a friend or family member is a powerful experience. It not only captures your memories and stories, but the dynamics of your relationship.
    StoryCorps also provides the equipment, space and staff for a broadcast-quality recording. A StoryCorps facilitator guides you through the interview process and operates the recording equipment. At the end of the session, you receive a CD of the recording to pass along to family and friends. With your permission, another copy will be archived at the American Folklife Center in the Library of Congress, accessible to future generations.
    Selected interviews are edited and produced for broadcast on our website, NPR, and other media outlets."

OK, so his friend interviewed him, StoryCorps took the tape, gave it to NPR, NPR edited it and put it on the air. Nothing in there about researching if it was true. I doubt they'd get sued even if it was false, its a personal account, a human interest story, not hard news.

Do you also believe all the stories in Penthouse Forum?

Then again, maybe a.) I missed the part about researching the veracity of the story, b.) I'm just a d!ck, or c.) some combination of a. and b.

12. Stokes

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Definitely. All I'm saying is its a heckuva lot more likely the guy ends up with a knife buried in his stomach for trying something like that than having a nice dinner and getting his wallet back! I think its more likely he did something equally heroic under more pedestrian circumstances (like he gave a homeless beggar his jacket and took him out for dinner), and sexed it up to get it on NPR. You're right though, it could be 100% true, just sounds strange to me.

13. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +466 / 11 / -7

#91 Jersey

MR.
    Stokes I think you're on to something. :rocker:

14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,129 / 3 / -10

The Bad Guy:
    If his friends find out about all this gooey lovey dovey liberal bullsh!t he'll have to pack his bags and head for Frisco, his homeys will run him out of town.

If Sean Penn & Sarandon can find him they can dream up a Liberal Wizard Of Oz movie about his life, Penn will go on the Today Show and cry.

"kissy kissy mush mush"
    "i love you"
    "i love you to my darling"
    "i gave a homeless man ten thousand dollars this morning"
    "oh god bless you"
    "i gave him my sneakers too"
    "oh holy mary mother of jesus"
    "oh look sweetheart, it's a depressed mental meth junkie, quick give him your underwear"
    "ok"
    "oh darling i'm becoming aroused"

Well the bear will be gentle
    And the wolves will be tame
    And the lion shall lay down by the lamb
    And the beasts from the wild
    Shall be led by a child
    And I'll be changed, changed from this creature that I am

:bricks: