PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A very significant stat for this weeks game against the Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
they averaged 193 ypg on the ground until last week. even against bad defenses, thats a LOT of yards. marion barber and tashard choice are no joke, and their dirty oline isnt either. or wasnt, i should i say ;)

Yeah, its a lot of yards.

But it now breaks down to 2 big games, one against a good defense missing a bunch of lineman (NYG), and one against a bad defense (TB), and two not so special games.

The patriots rushed for 260 yards against the Broncos last year.

this isnt the same broncos of years old, starting hot and finishing slow was a shanahan trait, not a mcdaniels trait.

Josh's Broncos have a long reputation of staying hot throughout the season unlike Shanahan's Broncos?

I must have slipped on a time-warp again...

so they played great defense in 4 games, but it only counts against the team tahts considered good,

No.

The point is, the raiders are terrible. Russel has a 39% completion percentage for the season. They rush for 3 ypc.

Russel passed for 60% against the Broncos, and they ran for over 4 ypc. It may have been their best offensive game of the year.

Having your defense stop the Raiders offense is NORMAL. Not great.

No.

The point is, the raiders are terrible. Russel has a 39% completion percentage for the season. They rush for 3 ypc.

Russel passed for 60% against the Broncos, and they ran for over 4 ypc. It may have been their best offensive game of the year.

Having your defense stop the Raiders offense is NORMAL. Not great.

holding the raiders, he previously scored 20+ on the media-loved charged to only 3 points is GOOD. russels YPC was like 3. sure he had 60%, they were at or behind the LOS and got essentially no yards.

they also shut down the bengals the first game of the year for 59.5 minutes, who proceeded to light up green bay and pittsburgh. browns had a good game against minnesota and cincy, but lets not talk about that. im not saying broncos are the best team in football, thats the saints, giants or vikings. but they are better than people, here or media or anywhere, give them credit for, and for people here to predict a blowout just because the broncos are overrated is silly at best.

but people can keep doubting, it clearly isnt tearing apart this team.

Your last sentence is the most significant statement you made about next week's game.

The Broncos, aside from the dysfunctional Cowboys, have beaten up on the garbage of the league.

The Patriots have taken down multiple undefeated and quality opponents.

I think the Broncos are likely to be 4-4 after their next 4 games. I rooting for them to do better (though not against the Pats, of course ;) ), but it's a tough road for them to continue playing defense near the level they've played when they start facing quality opposition. And I'm not exactly go out on a limb in my prediction, either, as it's pretty clear the Broncos will enter each of their next 4 games as underdogs, regardless of their record.

holding the raiders, he previously scored 20+ on the media-loved charged to only 3 points is GOOD. russels YPC was like 3. sure he had 60%, they were at or behind the LOS and got essentially no yards.

they also shut down the bengals the first game of the year for 59.5 minutes, who proceeded to light up green bay and pittsburgh. browns had a good game against minnesota and cincy, but lets not talk about that. im not saying broncos are the best team in football, thats the saints, giants or vikings. but they are better than people, here or media or anywhere, give them credit for, and for people here to predict a blowout just because the broncos are overrated is silly at best.

but people can keep doubting, it clearly isnt tearing apart this team.

Dude, give it up.

No one here will deny that your defense has improved. The Broncos have played well. At the same time, you won one game on a hail mary, and you beat two of the 3 worst teams in the league. It really is that simple. Everyone here is giving the Broncos credit for beating teams that they should beat.

Don't play the "we held them to 7 points while this team gave up 30" card. The Texans beat the Raiders 29-6. Are they a better team than the Broncos? The Giants only beat the Cowboys by 2 and probably didn't deserve to win at all. Are they a worse team than the Broncos? You can do this with every team. The best way to judge a team right now is to look at current and past performance. While your team is winning, it has only been impressive on one side of the ball. Your offense, despite favorable matchups, has not done much. It's that simple.

Josh's Broncos have a long reputation of staying hot throughout the season unlike Shanahan's Broncos?

I must have slipped on a time-warp again...

Name me one McDaniels team that has finished slow. :D

No, its not, and thats teh point. Holding the Raiders to 3 points is not impressive at all. Its pretty much average.

Outside of 20 against the chargers, who aren't good either, the Raiders have scored 13, 6, and 3 points in their game. Holding them to 3 isn't really any better than holding them to 6.

When the Pats were marching at the beginning of 07 everyone said the schedule was weak.

Actually, the Patriots were credited with having the toughest schedule in the NFL in 2007. Not sure where you get the "everyone said the schedule was weak" from...

im not saying broncos are the best team in football, thats the saints, giants or vikings. but they are better than people, here or media or anywhere, give them credit for, and for people here to predict a blowout just because the broncos are overrated is silly at best..

Again, you're arguing against a strawman. Nobody is claiming they're terrible, and nobody is arguing that you think they're the best team in football.

What we're saying is that their weak schedule makes it impossible to tell how good they actually are. We just know they're probably aren't in the bottom 8 teams in the league.

Your last sentence is the most significant statement you made about next week's game.

The Broncos, aside from the dysfunctional Cowboys, have beaten up on the garbage of the league.

The Patriots have taken down multiple undefeated and quality opponents.

I think what is going to happen is a tight game in the first half, followed by a blowout in the 2nd half as the Broncos stubbornly fail to adjust and become very predictable.

You think Cincy is garbage? :confused:

That is a solid football team that will make a playoff push if Palmer stays healthy. That defense was good last year with what might possibly be the worst offense in the history of the NFL. They brought in Mike Zimmer as the OC. They signed Roy Williams and Tank Johnson. Keith Rivers was the leading candidate for DROY before getting hurt in week 7 last year, he is back healthy. They drafted Maualuga and they have two solid corners. That defense is built to win.

Benson has been running very well, Chad is playing well, and Caldwell has been a strong 4th quarter presence for them. If they can manage to split the Baltimore series they could possibly steal that division.

Because of the altitude, Denver is always a tough place to play. And it's not like the Broncos have been awful; they've been at .500 or better for almost a decade.

BUT...

There's no denying that they've gotten fat early on by playing the Little Sisters of the Poor.

They beat the Bengals in week one... and, we all know that anything is possible in week one, like the Patriots getting blown out by Buffalo in '04. They beat Cincy by a baseball score of 12-7. On a lucky bounce.

After that? Oakland, whose 1 win was against the woeful Chiefs. Cleveland, who is winless. And, their most impressive win, Dallas... who is 2-2 and has 2 wins against winless teams (TB and Carolina).

The Pats, meanwhile, although 3-1 and the recipients of a lucky first-week win, have just played two pretty good opponents (a 2-0 Falcons and a 3-0 Ravens) and beaten them.

If the Broncos can hang 28 to 32 points on the Patriots, and keep the game within a TD--even if Denver loses--THEN I'll concede that the Broncos are for real.

If the Broncos can win 2 of the next 4 games, which are against pretty tough opponents (New England, at San Diego, at Baltimore, Pittsburgh), THEN I'll concede that the Broncos are for real. (That will put them at 6-2 and looking pretty good for a playoff spot.)

You think Cincy is garbage? :confused:

That is a solid football team that will make a playoff push if Palmer stays healthy..

I'd be willing to bet a significant chunk of change that Cincy finishes 3rd in their division, and is eliminated from playoff contention with multiple games left.

I'd be willing to bet a significant chunk of change that Cincy finishes 3rd in their division, and is eliminated from playoff contention with multiple games left.

Does their DVOA tell you that or have you actually watched them play? :confused:

They play in a tough division that is not in question. But they already beat the Steelers and if they can manage to beat the Ravens once, then they are guaranteed to split the head to head matchups. They have a tough schedule, not many give me games, but neither does Pit or Baltimore. Cincy lost on a fluke play to Denver, they beat GB in GB and as mentioned above, have already defeated Pit.

Not sure what you are seeing to say they will be eliminated with multiple games left. If they beat Baltimore on Sunday, they will be in first place in their division.

Last edited:
We'll win convincingly.

Denver's defense is good, but their offense is crap. A 19.5-point average against the teams they played is mediocre at best. Our defense will befuddle Orton nine plays out of ten (and hopefully create a turnover or two, but we shouldn't need it to win).

Our offense won't light it up, but they'll do just fine. Seriously—the Broncos have held the Bengals to 7, the Browns to 3, the Cowboys to 10, and the Raiders to 3. The Raiders and Browns both suck miserably and the Cowboys continue to be the laughingstock of the league on multiple fronts; I won't bother to go into detail on any of those. The Cincy game is the only one that worries me, but in my opinion the Bengals are easily the worst 3–1 team in the league.

Orton will not drive for more than one touchdown in this game (unless Guyton, Wilfork, Bodden, and Meriweather show up on the field in wheelchairs). And as long as Brady (a) continues in the direction he's been going and (b) uses Welker (and Faulk and Watson and Edelman) effectively, the Pats will win by two scores minimum. 24-10, or some poop like that.

Last edited:
Does their DVOA tell you that or have you actually watched them play? :confused:

Hold on, is this an appeal to ignorance? I think it is.

They play in a tough division that is not in question. But they already beat the Steelers
Yeah, they did. And Denver beat them, and they barely beat a CLeveland team that may be the worst in the NFL. Fluky games happen. The Pats got drubbed by miami last year.

and if they can manage to beat the Ravens once, then they are guaranteed to split the head to head matchups. They have a tough schedule, not many give me games, but neither does Pit or Baltimore. Cincy lost on a fluke play to Denver, they beat GB in GB and as mentioned above, have already defeated Pit.

Not sure what you are seeing to say they will be eliminated with multiple games left. If they beat Baltimore on Sunday, they will be in first place in their division.
I think Baltimore beats them by 24 this week. I'd be surprised if Cincy is any better than 4-3 at the bye (Loss to Balt and Chi, may beat houston..may), and then the Wheels fall off.

I also think we win handily and I RARILY pick the Patriots to win by more than 10,but I think this is the week Brady goes to town with 4 or 5 TDs,It will be a very high scoring game.

Hold on, is this an appeal to ignorance? I think it is.

No, it was a humerous comment based on your over reliance on a single weighted stat, in a previous debate.

Yeah, they did. And Denver beat them, and they barely beat a CLeveland team that may be the worst in the NFL. Fluky games happen. The Pats got drubbed by miami last year.

Cleveland actually played decent in that game and Cincy didn't play as well as they did the week before. Cleveland seemed to move the ball better with Anderson, but given their offensive performance over the first three weeks, that wasn't hard to do. The Bengals biggest issue thus far has been consistency from Palmer. But he missed most of the preseason and the majority of last year. Rust is to be expected. He will get better as the season goes on barring injury.

I think Baltimore beats them by 24 this week. I'd be surprised if Cincy is any better than 4-3 at the bye (Loss to Balt and Chi, may beat houston..may), and then the Wheels fall off.

I think you are buying way to much into an overrated team. Baltimore is not as good as many think. They are good, don't get me wrong, but they are not 24 points better than Cincy.

Baltimore's defense up until our game, had been great in the red zone, that is how they beat SD and that was helped by Sproles being the only run threat in that area, and he is not exactly the 2nd coming of Jerome Bettis between the tackles. Not to mention they played 2 of the worst offenses in the league the 24th and 29th ranked in scoring. Yet they still allowed 17.6 PPG which was helped tremendously by the 3 point Cleveland game.

San Diego's defense sucks. They put up 34 on Cleveland, but the Browns turned the ball over 4 times! They scored 38 against the hapless Chiefs. So they averaged over 30 points per game against the 25th, 30th and 31st ranked defenses in total scoring. And then they score 14 against the 10th.

I'm not sure how else you can say it other than overrated. :confused:

I also think we win handily and I RARILY pick the Patriots to win by more than 10,but I think this is the week Brady goes to town with 4 or 5 TDs,It will be a very high scoring game.

right....because brady has a great record against the broncos. 1-5 sound right?

and you have literally no reason to think that he will put up anything more then 2 TDs given that the teams you hvae beat up on have poor defenses, and he couldnt hang up "4 or 5 TDs" on them, surely he will do it IN denver against the top ranked defense in the NFL. good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes