PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A very significant stat for this weeks game against the Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
This kind of stat is deceiving. The reasons for their opponents falling lower in the stat department is a result of the losses Denver handed them.

The only equations that don't seem equal are Belichick and Brady, and I am not sure that those are not canceled out with McDaniels knowledge of the organization.

We got lucky yesterday that, for whatever reason, the Ravens stayed in the air versus the ground. They had good ground numbers against us. As well they had a 60% plus 3rd down conversion rate. Those things need to tighten up.

Then there is Dumervil......

We beat the Bills by a lucky break, and the Ravens by a dropped catch. These are not "dominating" performances by any means at all.

I started a thread week one about the Bills and the game, most replies were typical ball-washing behavior; "Blow them out by 40 pt's", "They are a laughing stock", "Easy win"...etc.

Don't sell the Broncos short. This is a tough road game and the Broncos will lay it all on the line.

I haven't heard lots of talk about "dominating" the Ravens. The Pats won a tight game against a quality opponent. Many power rankings had the Ravens at number one last week. The Broncos are 4-0 and Mile High is a always a challenge for the Pats. But I see this as a win.

Hope Watson doesn't have to run diagonally across the entire field again. :rolleyes:

they have the NFL leader in sack's (Elvis Dumervil)

and 3 more relly fast LB

and Champ Bailey is not what he was but he is still a lot better then any corner the ravens put out on sunday

i see the pats wining 12 to 6

if orton can get on the same page as his receivers that will help the team alot, hes doing GOOD right now but missing some open guys. A+ on not turning the ball over however.

the defense is playing better any broncos defense ive ever seen. and those arent deceiving stats, if you guys had seen the broncos play they are for real, the D is shutting people down, 26 TOTAL points allowed in 4 games is not a fluke. they wont be able to hold them up obviously but its still very, very good. what worries me this weekend is not randy moss, in fact he may well be neutralized as the pass rush will likely not let the long play develop and champ is playing great football. the LBers struggle in coverage sometime so the wes welker role could be tough unless they put the nickel on him all day, which i dont think theyll be able to do. it just depends. the media is still going off on "broncos havent played anyone" which is BS. theyve played 4 NFL teams and were picked as losers for 3 of the 4, yet still arent getting respect as a good football team, they are still blinded by their preseason misconceptions about the team.

all will be told on sunday either way, they should be able to hang with the pats in a low scoring affair, really depends if the broncos offense gets together or not. we have more offensive talent everywhere than the ravens, but their QB is playing very well, and they put up 21.

seriously dont know what else the team is supposed to do to get respect from anyone, they kill bad teams and are beating the good teams, yet every week they are expected to lose...

In many people's opinions the "good teams" they hav beaten are really just average teams. They need to beat (or at least look good against) top teams before they get credit. If they beat the Patriots they will get respect.

In many people's opinions the "good teams" they hav beaten are really just average teams. They need to beat (or at least look good against) top teams before they get credit. If they beat the Patriots they will get respect.

so the patriots beat an awful ravens pass D, lose to the jets (who just lost to NO), last second win against hte bills after 50 some minutes of awful play and solid win against 2-1 falcons who cant run the ball anymore, and they are great. broncos destroy 2 of their 4 weak opponents, shut down the best run offense in the league and hold the bengals scoreless for 59.5 minutes, and they suck. gotcha.

the "awful" teams that the broncos have beat have put up a lot of points against others, yet no one has put up anything against us, dallas didnt score in the 2nd 3rd or 4th quarters of the game. at some point, people will stop saying that the other team LOST the game and the broncos WON it. dunno when they will get that credit.

Last edited:
Pats have been mighty fortunate to be 3-1 at this point.

And Denver at this point is very fortunate to not be 2-2.

Unless you think Stokely has turned "catching deflected interceptions for touchdowns" into some sort of predictive skill.

Clearly, the Broncos are better than last year, but they've played a weak schedule, so we're not sure how good.

I can Orton trying to hard making a few Turnovers and this thing not being close.

broncos destroy 2 of their 4 weak opponents, shut down the best run offense in the league and hold the bengals scoreless for 59.5 minutes, and they suck. gotcha.

If your really think the Cowboys have the best run offense in the league, you need to stop smoking crack and check into rehab. There are probably 10 teams better.

Denver has always been a house of horrors for us. Brady's had a 4 interception game in 2001, had the horrible playoff game in 2005. He did win a miracle Monday night game in 2003, but it was against the Broncos 3rd string QB (Dannel Kennel), and Denver was without their kicker (Elam).

It doesn't seem to matter what kind of team Denver has, its always a tough game.

Denver has always been a house of horrors for us. Brady's had a 4 interception game in 2001, had the horrible playoff game in 2005. He did win a miracle Monday night game in 2003, but it was against the Broncos 3rd string QB (Dannel Kennel), and Denver was without their kicker (Elam).

It doesn't seem to matter what kind of team Denver has, its always a tough game.

except last year :D

If your really think the Cowboys have the best run offense in the league, you need to stop smoking crack and check into rehab. There are probably 10 teams better.

they averaged 193 ypg on the ground until last week. even against bad defenses, thats a LOT of yards. marion barber and tashard choice are no joke, and their dirty oline isnt either. or wasnt, i should i say ;)

broncos destroy 2 of their 4 weak opponents, shut down the best run offense in the league and hold the bengals scoreless for 59.5 minutes, and they suck. gotcha.
Dumb statement. Somehow to you if we are not proclaiming them the best in the league then we are claiming they suck. Which of course very few people are saying.

My point was they don't get credit as being the best because they haven't yet had an opportunity to prove they are. But that's temporary. Their next four games are NE, @SD, bye, @BAL, PIT. This is their chance to prove what they are. They need to go at least 2-2 in their next four, or they were an early-season mirage. Win 3 or 4 of the next 4 and they will have the media and fans lining up to praise them.

so the patriots beat an awful ravens pass D, lose to the jets (who just lost to NO), last second win against hte bills after 50 some minutes of awful play and solid win against 2-1 falcons who cant run the ball anymore, and they are great. broncos destroy 2 of their 4 weak opponents, shut down the best run offense in the league and hold the bengals scoreless for 59.5 minutes, and they suck. gotcha.

the "awful" teams that the broncos have beat have put up a lot of points against others, yet no one has put up anything against us, dallas didnt score in the 2nd 3rd or 4th quarters of the game. at some point, people will stop saying that the other team LOST the game and the broncos WON it. dunno when they will get that credit.

i will give the broncos some respect and say that 4-0 in the NFL i dont care who thay beat or how thay beat them is relly good

but the broncos over the last few year's are know for starting off hot and then kinda falling a part at the end

the pats are know for starting off slow and then geting relly hot at the end

so they need to beat the pats or make a relly good playoff run to get there respect from ESPN and all the so called pro's

Opponent VOA going into week 4 (lots of volatility, but gives us an idea of who is playing well and who isn't), followed by Rank in the league:

BAL: 67% #1
ATL: 9% #12
BUF: -6% #18
NYJ: 27% #9

Average Opp: 24.25%

CIN: 1% #16
DAL: 26% #10
CLE: -70% #32
OAK:-28% #27

Average Opp: -17.75%

The Patriots have played a touch schedule. The Broncos haven't. The patriots have played 2 of the top 10 teams in the league, and 3 of the top 12, and then a slightly below average team in Buffalo.

The Broncos have played 2 of the 5 worst teams in the league, one average team, and one good team.

they averaged 193 ypg on the ground until last week. even against bad defenses, thats a LOT of yards. marion barber and tashard choice are no joke, and their dirty oline isnt either. or wasnt, i should i say ;)

The problem is, yards per game doesn't correlate to running game quality.

They've certainly looked good, but NYG played the pass pretty much the whole game, Carolina sucks, and Tampa sucks, and they just got manhandled by Denver.

Opponent VOA going into week 4 (lots of volatility, but gives us an idea of who is playing well and who isn't), followed by Rank in the league:

BAL: 67% #1
ATL: 9% #12
BUF: -6% #18
NYJ: 27% #9

Average Opp: 24.25%

CIN: 1% #16
DAL: 26% #10
CLE: -70% #32
OAK:-28% #27

Average Opp: -17.75%

The Patriots have played a touch schedule. The Broncos haven't. The patriots have played 2 of the top 10 teams in the league, and 3 of the top 12, and then a slightly below average team in Buffalo.

The Broncos have played 2 of the 5 worst teams in the league, one average team, and one good team.

so the 4-0 broncos are not as good as the 3-1 pats because we havent played as good of teams, even though when we play bad teams they really dont stand a chance and the defense is playing lights out. got it.....

if orton can get on the same page as his receivers that will help the team alot, hes doing GOOD right now but missing some open guys. A+ on not turning the ball over however.

the defense is playing better any broncos defense ive ever seen. and those arent deceiving stats, if you guys had seen the broncos play they are for real, the D is shutting people down, 26 TOTAL points allowed in 4 games is not a fluke. they wont be able to hold them up obviously but its still very, very good. what worries me this weekend is not randy moss, in fact he may well be neutralized as the pass rush will likely not let the long play develop and champ is playing great football. the LBers struggle in coverage sometime so the wes welker role could be tough unless they put the nickel on him all day, which i dont think theyll be able to do. it just depends. the media is still going off on "broncos havent played anyone" which is BS. theyve played 4 NFL teams and were picked as losers for 3 of the 4, yet still arent getting respect as a good football team, they are still blinded by their preseason misconceptions about the team.

all will be told on sunday either way, they should be able to hang with the pats in a low scoring affair, really depends if the broncos offense gets together or not. we have more offensive talent everywhere than the ravens, but their QB is playing very well, and they put up 21.

The Ravens offense only scored 14 points. The other TD was defensive.

so the 4-0 broncos are not as good as the 3-1 pats because we havent played as good of teams, even though when we play bad teams they really dont stand a chance and the defense is playing lights out. got it.....

No, I didn't say that.

I said that the Broncos have played a weak schedule, and thus its not possible to say they're very good yet.

its not possible to say the defense is playing lights out because every defense plays lights out against the Browns, Bengals, and Raiders. Yes, they played well against Dallas, but its one game.

No, I didn't say that.

I said that the Broncos have played a weak schedule, and thus its not possible to say they're very good yet.

its not possible to say the defense is playing lights out because every defense plays lights out against the Browns, Bengals, and Raiders. Yes, they played well against Dallas, but its one game.

so they played great defense in 4 games, but it only counts against the team tahts considered good, or was considered good until the broncos beat them, but since the broncos beat them they are bad again. got it. the browns put up 20+ minnesota and 20+ on cincy, cincy put up 30+ on GB and 20+ on steelers, raiders put up 20+ on chargers, does that mean minnesota, GB, cincy, steelers all have bad defenses because ****ty teams put up a lot of points against them? they couldnt put near that amount of points up against the broncos but did against some of the "good" defenses in hte NFL. funny how that works.

this isnt the same broncos of years old, starting hot and finishing slow was a shanahan trait, not a mcdaniels trait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes