PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Unified Theory of God?

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Seems to me that pretty much everyone gets so caught up into arguing that THEIR religion is the right one that folks might be overlooking another possibility... namely that there is ONE God who, over time, has presented himself to different peoples and cultures in such a way that they can best relate to Him and his call for what appears to be some very common ground among all religions.

To me this makes sense, and explains a lot of the common themes in religions - while of course some man-made mistakes might best explain the conflicts.

In this sense God is a marketing genius - recognizing that how He appears and appeals to say, Native Americans would necessarilly be somewhat different in how he appeals to Middle Eastern Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, peoples of the Far East, etc...

And of course, although there is one God, each incarnation of religion has invariably taken on a life of its own, sometimes distorted by man to the point of declaring war on another people and their infadel religion.

Just a theory of course, but one that seems like it should be given some serious consideration - and at the very least might give others pause about attempting to tear down the beliefs that others hold, with the thought that we might all actually be on the same team.

I agree with you. It's silly to debate dogma, and I do think there is something behind why so many major religions share common facts.

Then again, maybe God is an alien who flew down to various cultures and tried to give humanity a moral guide.

When you consider most world wide conflicts begin over religious beliefs this makes too much sense. In Iraq, the muslim divide between Shia and Sunni will tear apart that country and other countries. This is not a political statement, but a religious reality. Look at the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition on and on it does not end. Perhaps the antidote is the unifying beliefs and/or tolerance for others beliefs.

When you consider most world wide conflicts begin over religious beliefs this makes too much sense. In Iraq, the muslim divide between Shia and Sunni will tear apart that country and other countries. This is not a political statement, but a religious reality. Look at the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition on and on it does not end. Perhaps the antidote is the unifying beliefs and/or tolerance for others beliefs.

True. Just how do you go about convincing fundamentalist Christians, for example, that life is not a highway to hell if you don't believe in Jesus? Intolerance of others' beliefs is at the root of many religions.

I suppose tolerance for other religions will quickly follow if people come to understand and appreciate that the differences between religions, in the grand scope of things are quite minor, and are attributable to God speaking to the Jews, through a Jew - and those who would become Muslims, through a fellow Muslim etc.. (you get my point)

Will there still be "conflicts" between religious interpretations -without a doubt - but the debate can be had on how that difference came to be and possibly why it exists in the case of different cultures and peoples and times in which the religion came about (dietary prohibitions for example)

But all the while, if people accept that there is one God who speaks to his People in different ways, at different times, through different people - yes, even by sending his Son to us - there's a great benefit we can all gain.

Generally my feeling/belief is that Salvation is the summit of a very high peak. There are many different paths to that common summit - yet all are certainly more narrow than any of us would like to believe.

I suppose tolerance for other religions will quickly follow if people come to understand and appreciate that the differences between religions, in the grand scope of things are quite minor, and are attributable to God speaking to the Jews, through a Jew - and those who would become Muslims, through a fellow Muslim etc.. (you get my point)

Will there still be "conflicts" between religious interpretations -without a doubt - but the debate can be had on how that difference came to be and possibly why it exists in the case of different cultures and peoples and times in which the religion came about (dietary prohibitions for example)

But all the while, if people accept that there is one God who speaks to his People in different ways, at different times, through different people - yes, even by sending his Son to us - there's a great benefit we can all gain.

Generally my feeling/belief is that Salvation is the summit of a very high peak. There are many different paths to that common summit - yet all are certainly more narrow than any of us would like to believe.

Very well said.

...if people accept that there is one God who speaks to his People in different ways, at different times, through different people - yes, even by sending his Son to us - there's a great benefit we can all gain....
...which is what?.....:confused:

...which is what?.....:confused:

now if I told you that, it would spoil all the fun and insight you'd gain by figuring it out for yourself! ;)

...kindof similar to why God seems to decline from offering absolute proof of his existence... its the journey, not solely the desitination that's important!

However, if anyone things there's a been a great benefit to centuries of religious wars and jihads, I'm open to hearing their views.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back