PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A thought! (re: offseason workouts & bonuses)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATS68

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I am watching NFL Network and they are showing player driven workouts. If I were an owner why would I pay these guys workout bonuses if they are going to do it on their own? Some of these guys are getting $500,000+ for these workouts.

The owners don't have to pay these guys and if they get hurt doing these workouts they again don't have to pay these guys.

Last edited:
re: A thought! (re: offseason workouts & bonuses)

If there are no organized team lead workout this offseason, the players don't get their workout bonuses. Granted several players will sue because they showed up those days that the league was in business after Judge Nelson's ruling and will claim they were available for working out.

But these player run workouts do not count towards workout bonuses either way.

Re: A thought!

I am watching NFL Network and they are showing player driven workouts. If I were an owner why would I pay these guys workout bonuses if they are going to do it on their own? Some of these guys are getting $500,000+ for these workouts.

The owners don't have to pay these guys and if they get hurt doing these workouts they again don't have to pay these guys.

because it's all a show for the fans to see that they are geting ready for the season but the evil owners wont let them work out lol why do you think they are working out in front of cameras when most of does players have a gym in there house

Two answers:

1) Because there will be a cap and, one way or another, owners will spend to it. Whether it's through workout bonuses, roster bonuses, signing bonus, or salary, that money will make it to the players. Workout bonuses are just another way of working the cap.

2) Because the guys with $500K+ workout bonuses are the ones who the teams have major investments in. It's in their best interest to have these players working out under the supervision of the coaches and the training staff as much as possible.

Two answers:

1) Because there will be a cap and, one way or another, owners will spend to it. Whether it's through workout bonuses, roster bonuses, signing bonus, or salary, that money will make it to the players. Workout bonuses are just another way of working the cap.

2) Because the guys with $500K+ workout bonuses are the ones who the teams have major investments in. It's in their best interest to have these players working out under the supervision of the coaches and the training staff as much as possible.

I was thinking pretty much the same thing. They spend X amount on a player salary if they dont write some of it up as workout bonus they will pay it somewhere else in the contract or their contract wont be as good as the next team offering it.

And I would also offer a third reason.

3) Because I am sure there is a percentage of the NFL just sitting on their butts this offseason saying to themsleves I am locked out I dont have to work. Hopefully few and far between on our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back