PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A theory about our WR love fest

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB was in his mad scientist laboaratory one night and thought to himself. "What would happen if I created a offense that was as good as my defense? It's alive!!!"

Let me play devil's advocate - which I can do since I was lambasted by so many last season for expressing concern about WR depth and the impact the lack of a deep game had on our entire offense.

BB game plans - he doesn't have one offensive strategy - it changes week to week.

Deep passes primarilly are used as a threat - its a high risk throw - shorter passes (mid range) or running the ball is much safer.

If indeed the Pats can use the passing game to build a lead they will revert to a safe run oriented game. The running game should also benefit from having safeties held back to prevent the deep pass threat - making the run offense that much more preferable.

So in the end, if things go as we'd like you're going to see a whole lot more of the running game than you're thinking right now.

Interesting theory, but the stockpiling of WR reminds me of a couple years back when we had Branch, Givens, Troy and Bethel on the roster, but still brought in Dwight, Andre Davis and David Terrell. On paper at least, this year's edition is far more talented especially with the addition of a potential HOF receiver.

I also think that had BB been overly concerned about the Polian instigated rule change, a reaction from the defensive side of the ball both in the players brought in and in the formations revised would have occurred concurrently if not first.

I think the large numbers of WRs signed is not a blip on the radar, but a fundamental shift in offensive philosophy.

Three years ago when Polian had the NFL "emphasize" letting receivers run free, it changed the game. Passing is now a better way, more certain way to get yards than with the run or a run-pass balanced offense.

That his how the COlts got back in the game in the AFCCG. pass for yardage and check off to the run when the QB sees the defense cheating toward the pass.

BB isn't stupid, and sees that the game has changed irrevocably.

Running is still important, but the emphasis has to shift to the passing game because that is what the rules give you. Fighting the rules is stupid and puts you at a disadvantage.

I think the Colts are also aware of this. In a game where receivers must be allowed to run free, defenders are at a disadvantage. Since a defender cannot do certain things anymore and must avoid pretty much all contact, the difference between a super CB and an adequate CB is lessened. It is still better to have a better CB, of course, but a greater advantage is to be had by having better WRs, who are allowed to use their talents to the utmost.

That is why, after losing both starting CBs, the Colts used their #1 pick on a slot WR. They would have upgraded their defensive backfield more by grabbing Chris Houston, but they improved their team more by getting a better receiver to take advantage of harrison/wayne's ability to stretch the field. A superior slot receiver, coupled with a superior pass catching TE (Clark) gives them more value that improving the backfield. If the Colts case, Houston could not have helped a whole lot more than Hughes could, and Gonzales will help more than whoever they would replace Stokely with.

BB is doing the same thing, making the NFL rules work for him instead of against him. Look for our WRs (and the Colts WRs) to haul in passes next year or collect yellow flags. Either way, it's a first down and the chains move.

I agree with this. Look how tired our defense got in the AFCCG trying keep up with the Colts 'run-free' offense. So maybe BB stocking up on WRs is to be able to have 3 WR/1 TE sets on the field predominently, have two interchangeable platoons of them, run no huddle as the norm and simply run and run and run the defense into the ground. By the 4th quarter, the defense should be quite tired or playing their practice squad! While our offense is just getting warmed up.

How many WRs does it take to do this? I see a minimum of 6 and given a reserve for injuries, likely more. And Thomas fills a key role in one of the platoons.

I agree with this. Look how tired our defense got in the AFCCG trying keep up with the Colts 'run-free' offense. So maybe BB stocking up on WRs is to be able to have 3 WR/1 TE sets on the field predominently, have two interchangeable platoons of them, run no huddle as the norm and simply run and run and run the defense into the ground. By the 4th quarter, the defense should be quite tired or playing their practice squad! While our offense is just getting warmed up.

How many WRs does it take to do this? I see a minimum of 6 and given a reserve for injuries, likely more. And Thomas fills a key role in one of the platoons.

That's kinda what I was thinking. I see Moss and Stallworth plattooning alot. even if they don't get tons of balls thrown at them, just jumping off the line and moving it gonna wear out the opposing D late in games. Alternating is gonna keep our guys somewhat fresh and D's are gonna have to scheme for it. It's gonna create some torched Defenses late in games. There is not gonna be much relief to shift over either, not with the rest of the talent we'll be putting out there.

Not many teams have the ability to put up a "reasonably fresh" BLAZER at WR on 100% of the offense plays, let alone 2 on occasion. Not when there is so much pressure elsewhere from the rest of the guys.

Last edited:
I think it's real simple: The Pats needed upgrading at WR and with the huge increase in salary caps, they could afford to go after some big guns.

If you want to pick on an opponent the Pats were boning up for with these WRs, I'd pick San Diego, not Indy. Laugh at Norv Turner all you want, but even he would have coached a better game than Marty did in that playoff loss. The Pats can't expect to win another game like that 24-21 victory. With Merriman, Philips and Castillo bringing the heat, the Pats need WRs who can quickly get separation from those CBs if Brady needs to get rid of the ball quickly. Cincy lit up SD for 40+ pts last year with CJ, TJ Housh and company. BB saw that and wanted to make sure if the Pats run into SD in January, he won't have to rely on Troy Brown making a play for the ages.

Regards,
Chris

Bingo!
Marty characteristically made several bad coaching decisions which cost his team a close game. We cannot rely on Norv suddenly choking as a playoff coach. Had the Patriots stood 'pat' we'd face certain elimination by SD in Jan '08. Note that these same BB moves should also work well against Denvah's super DB corps should we face them in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back