Welcome to PatsFans.com

A student's oil change reignites debate over GPS trackers

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I fing this is unacceptable in my opinion. You should have to have a warrant to put a GPS tracking unit on someone's vehicle. Simply unacceptable.

A student's oil change reignites debate over GPS trackers

Is Big Brother watching? Student's discovery of secret FBI device under his car sparks claims of Orwellian surveillance

By PAUL ELIAS
    The Associated Press
    updated 10/16/2010 5:55:17 PM ET 2010-10-16T21:55:17

SAN FRANCISCO — Yasir Afifi, a 20-year-old computer salesman and community college student, took his car in for an oil change earlier this month and his mechanic spotted an odd wire hanging from the undercarriage.

The wire was attached to a strange magnetic device that puzzled Afifi and the mechanic. They freed it from the car and posted images of it online, asking for help in identifying it.

Two days later, FBI agents arrived at Afifi's Santa Clara apartment and demanded the return of their property — a global positioning system tracking device now at the center of a raging legal debate over privacy rights.

One federal judge wrote that the widespread use of the device was straight out of George Orwell's novel, "1984".

"By holding that this kind of surveillance doesn't impair an individual's reasonable expectation of privacy, the panel hands the government the power to track the movements of every one of us, every day of our lives," wrote Alex Kozinski, the chief judge of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, in a blistering dissent in which a three-judge panel from his court ruled that search warrants weren't necessary for GPS tracking.

Oil change reignites debate over GPS trackers - U.S. news - Security - msnbc.com
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

If the law enforcement folks had gone through legal channels (court order) to get this ok'ed there is no problem.. if they did not then it warrants further explanation.

Just because he is muslim does not mean it was profiling, the article intimates that they were acting on a tip.. dirty trick by a spurned ex-lover or a real threat?? If they ignored this "threat" and this kid did some damage to our country, then everyone would ask why didn't they act... it is one of those ying yang things.

It looks like sloppy work...
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
  4. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This feels wrong, but I can see the FBI's position. There's no data collected that couldn't be collected the old-fashioned, expensive way.

I'm more troubled by why they decided to look into him at all. A person's father's actions and that same person sending money to family members is no reason for suspicion in my opinion.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +298 / 1 / -9

IMAGINE THIS:
    The George Bush people "profile, follow, wiretap, harrass" Mohammad Atta and his gang then finally arrest him and his gang because they suspect them of criminal activity.

The Result:
    Looney America would have wanted George Bush impeached then put before a firing squad and 3000 people who are now dead would be alive.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
  6. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Icy, it's not just muslims they do this to. They can, have, and will do it to anybody they so choose.

Daryl, apparently this is legal for them to do, although some judges have ruled against it as an unwarranted "search". This is becoming an issue now that it's becoming more public.

I think law enforcement needs to obtain a warrant to do this.
  7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +477 / 2 / -10

#87 Jersey

I'm sure they do ... but if i was Muslim and I had even a distant relative who was connected to the Taliban (etc) I'd be sweeping my car for bugs a few days a week. Most of us have no connection to any orginization. these people can be traced to the tribes their families came from ... our intelligence knows those tribes by the back of their hands.

The loyalty to ones tribe, especially if their family is still there is enormous. does not mean they will ever do anything but from an intelligence standpoint our guys need to do their due diligence and they do. Do a favor for someone or your family will suffer ... how many are aware of this daily?

BTW: 45 viewing.
  8. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 1 / -10

Supposedly, there are 3 words one should never say over the phone or type on the internet.

They are:

Bomb
    Allah'
    President

So just for the FUN of it

Bomb
    Allah
    President

:rofl:
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +298 / 1 / -9

Now go out and look at all the wires hanging under your car....:D

If a man suspects his wife is having sex with the guy upstairs what does he do "HE WATCHES THEM" the FBI does the same thing, thats what they're paid to do.

If terrorists blow up city hall the first thing the people do is blame the cops for not preventing it but if the cops did their job and did prevent it the Loons would want the cops fired........:singing:

DAMNED IF YOU DO DAMNED IF YOU DON'T

THE GUY WITH THE OIL CHANGE:
    WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FBI KNOWS
  10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 3 / -19

I agree, as long as they play by the "rules" no problem, kind of like the rubber stamp FISA court...
  11. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I thought these were the sorts of things that only happened with a Republican in the White House, and B. Hussein Obama was going to repair the Constitution and see to it that this never happened anymore. :confused:
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +249 / 3 / -2

Meet the new people, same as the old people.