PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A star was born tonight in Matt Cassel

Status
Not open for further replies.
now what happens if brett retires after 08 and the jets sign cassell to start?

Won't happen. By the time Lord Favrequad ends the Retirement Tango, someone else will have signed Cassel already. :)

Won't happen. By the time Lord Favrequad ends the Retirement Tango, someone else will have signed Cassel already. :)
good point haha

where do you see cassell being the best fit?

good point haha

where do you see cassell being the best fit?

He'd probably work out very well in Minnesota if that team were to hire a real coach.

Anyone who thinks there may be a quarterback controversy next year just doesn't know anything about football. Brady is the quarterback without a speck of doubt.

Even if the Pats miraculously won the super bowl, Cassel is out and Brady's back in...end of story.

All that being said, Cassel has surprised the hell out me. I am very happy with his play and even more, his progress as a leader. Man, for a kid who hasn't played since he was a kid, it's been amazing!

Last edited:
Teams Cassel could be playing for next year:

SEA, DET, MIN, TB, PHI(i think the Mcnabb era FINALLY is over)

NYJ and MIA are not out of the question

I think Thigpen's play in KC has eliminated the Chiefs from Cassel's list

cassel will be here. hes not going nowhere. hes system and would be dumb to leave. i like to think his loyalties are with the team who drafted him 7th rd and believed in him. i think the pats will sign him

The next Steve Young, for multiple reasons

Not to be argumentative, but what exactly are those reasons?

I don't think it's reasonable to expect Cassel to stick around after this season . . . and furthermore, as often as I find Steve Young to be intolerably annoying, he was a first-ballot HOFer!

I do think, however, that MC is on the verge of carving out a legacy of his own.

cassel will be here. hes not going nowhere. hes system and would be dumb to leave. i like to think his loyalties are with the team who drafted him 7th rd and believed in him. i think the pats will sign him

Cassel is going to "command" a starters contract. We won't sign him to one. But if he's real marketable come February we can always tag and trade him...:ugh:

Loyalties???????

Money talks in this league

Guys...first of all, Cassel did have a great game today, but come on...Brady is a lock HOF QB. While Cassel is having a nice run remember it is behind the samel OL Brady had and throwing to Moss and Welker who are no slouches.

Before you annoint him the next great thing, consider that he doesn't throw well down the field. He completes a lot of short passes and scrambles well but doesn't complete the long passes. He will win you games this year, but he is far, far from being the equal of Brady.

He'll get his contract next year based on his success - the Scott Mitchell syndrome - but he could easily be a failure in his next gig.

Last edited:
He'll get his contract next year based on his success - the Scott Mitchell syndrome - but he could easily be a failure in his next gig.

and I for one, don't care how much money he makes elsewhere. I only care about what the Pats get for picks :D

It took Brady a few seasons to become adept at hitting the long pass...and until Randy Moss came aboard, Brady rarelty showed an ability to throw into tight man coverage to the PRECISE place where only the receiver can make the catch...he learned quick but he made throws to Moss that were magical last season...passes he never should have made under any other circumstances. Brady is a great QB and future hall of famer. Cassel is smart,has shown the ability to improve, has a good arm, accuracy on the majority of the short and intermediate passes ...he has and with TIME and EXPERIENCE should learn to throw long accurately..but what he has that can't be taught is confidence in himself...THAT'S the trait of a winner

where did this kid come from? he played amazing tonight. let the QB controversy begin in New England.

...Money talks in this league

not everyone is interested in just money, some do still play for the love of the game, and a guy who has sat on the bench for this long just waiting for his chance isnt going anywhere. It's not out of the question that he could be the next big thing, it happened with Steve Young and it could happen with Matt Cassel, never ever rule out the underdog!

He'd probably work out very well in Minnesota if that team were to hire a real coach.
I was passing on that message to a Vikings mate of mine about an hour ago.

They would be stupid not to go after him. Frerotte is a solid back up and Tarvaris is injured more often than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back