PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A solid performance by the wideouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The future at WR looks very bright not just for the rest of this season, but ensuing seasons. I'm really loving the group of 5 we have right now. [Gaffney didn't play today until the final drive (I think I saw #10) but he may contribute and adds some depth to the group.]

I think what impresses me most about the group is that each receiver brings something very different to the table. I'm very excited about this crew, and for all the bytching and moaning done about Givens and Branch by national and local pundits alike, it's becoming clear that this group of wideouts is going to prove far deeper and more versatile than what Brady had in '05.

Last edited:
Nuthin' worse than seein' a thread die without a response, is there. Except maybe writing a virtual manifesto in a reply and it goes un-noticed.

These receivers should be fine, but its still early. I think we saw Brady know he has one of the new guys right where he wants him (Gabriel). That reaction tells me all is well between the two.

BradyManny2344 said:
The future at WR looks very bright not just for the rest of this season, but ensuing seasons. I'm really loving the group of 5 we have right now. [Gaffney didn't play today until the final drive (I think I saw #10) but he may contribute and adds some depth to the group.]

I think what impresses me most about the group is that each receiver brings something very different to the table. I'm very excited about this crew, and for all the bytching and moaning done about Givens and Branch by national and local pundits alike, it's becoming clear that this group of wideouts is going to prove far deeper and more versatile than what Brady had in '05.

Certainly looks like we have some different puzzle pieces for a change. The funny thing is, the more we utilize the different strengths of this group, the more the "conceptually challenged" members here will complain because we don't have a league leading receiver.

And, of course, if you have 3 3-4 year veterans and one rookie, you play the rookie all the time.:rolleyes:

Give me strength.:violent:

I agree. I think that Gabriel and Jackson are good #1 a/b level players, Caldwell and Watson can help man the slot, maybe Gaffney will work into the #3 WR competition. Meanwhile Brown will man whatever position is needed to be filled, offense or defense or special teams.

And there is always Bam Childress waiting for a chance. :D

Branch was always a #1b level player in my mind, and Givens was a #2 by the time he left here. I see us having a couple potential #1's now.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Branch was always a #1b level player in my mind, and Givens was a #2 by the time he left here. I see us having a couple potential #1's now.

I agree 100%. And like I said in another thread, Caldwell has really stepped in and performed Givens duty of 3rd and short catches for 1st downs.

According to the GameBook, Gaffney did not play.

pats1 said:
According to the GameBook, Gaffney did not play.

Really? I could've sworn I saw #10 in at the end of the game. Guess not.

We might be able to say eventually that our 2007 WRs are better than the 2005s, but it's not time to say so about 2006. It will probably take more than this season for real chemistry to develop. The question is, can it improve enough this year (from weak to decent) to go all the way with?

I loved the Faulk threat, Tommy faking to him in the flat set up the big play by Gabriel down the sideline. The true positive out of that - Tommy had the timing perfect to hit him in stride.

Reche doesn't have the best hands, but he got open the most - more progress.

Gabe made a monster play in the end zone.

Troy added a couple more to his legend, at least one in the middle of a nest of Bills.

Ben Watson had a drop or two, but he also made some really nice plays to keep his receiving lead on the others.

Tommy missed a wide open Thomas when he was hurried - key, wide open.

Things are improving, despite the intense whine-a-thon in recent weeks.

I didn't notice the Watson drops - he'd had a couple drops in the first few weeks, but today, he really seemed to be the threat we anticipated he'd be.

Question: who here thinks that Branch would have made the touchdown that Gabriel made if all the circumstances were the same?

I LIKE GABRIEL!

Box_O_Rocks said:
I loved the Faulk threat, Tommy faking to him in the flat set up the big play by Gabriel down the sideline. The true positive out of that - Tommy had the timing perfect to hit him in stride.

Troy added a couple more to his legend, at least one in the middle of a nest of Bills.

Ben Watson had a drop or two, but he also made some really nice plays to keep his receiving lead on the others.

I agree things are improving and the WRs battled for some key 3rd downs. Jackson may not be Torry Holt be adds a deep threat. He still seems a little unsure but he hasn't exactly got a lot of reps this season and has 2 TDS of of 5 or so catches, I like that ratio.

A step in the right direction, much better usage of pump fakes and short passes to keep defense honest.

NEM said:
Escuse me, but am I missing something here? I have gone through this entire thread, thus far, and if I am not mistaken , isn't one name missing????????

Troy Brown​

Edit: Ooops, Box , casually, mentioned him.
The subject of the leadoff post in this thread was about the group of receivers we will have for the next five years. Troy, sadly, won't be here that long.

Box_O_Rocks said:

I think Jackson's worth a mention too - he's a rook, and often looked like one but just one 35 yrd TD reception has a big impact on how defenses are forced to play us when he's on the field.

Gabriel's 31 yrd reception doesn't hurt either.

Before we had nothing in terms of a deep threat - and that was a legitmate issue to be concerned about. 2 big play passes is a good step in the right direction.

I continue to wish they'd utilize Thomas more in the receiving game, and I'm wondering if Caldwell is going to continue to be used as a short dump option like we saw often today... if that's the case he'll have a decent season in terms of receptions, but his yardage isn't going to amount to much.

Overall though, when your QB has a 112 rating and another W - there's plenty of reasons to be happy.

I didn't see anything about five years. In any case, the only receiver signed beyond next year is Jackson. We have a solid five for this year and next, if the rejuvenated Brown wants to play another year.

PromisedLand said:
The subject of the leadoff post in this thread was about the group of receivers we will have for the next five years. Troy, sadly, won't be here that long.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
Question: who here thinks that Branch would have made the touchdown that Gabriel made if all the circumstances were the same?

I LIKE GABRIEL!

Gabriel muscled his way to that catch - great play

DCPatsFan said:

That play was insane. He really looked like a DB the way he attacked the ball.

zippo59 said:
That play was insane. He really looked like a DB the way he attacked the ball.
Good idea, Doug will be trained as a CB a la Troy. Versatility :rocker:

DCPatsFan said:

That was a great play by Gabriel. In Brady's post game press conference he said that the throw he made to Gabriel, across his body, was ill advised and that they were lucky to convert on that play. If Gabriel had not come back strong for the ball the way he did, it may have been and interception.

Gabriel is the man. He's tough, physical, seems to have good hands, has speed, fights for extra yards instead of running out of bounds (Branch-like).... I think he can develop to be better than Branch. I hope he's on this team for a while. What does his contract situation look like right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back