PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A simple question...ascension or decline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: A simple question...ascention or decline

That's an easy question to answer. Worse. So much of your offense depended on Welker; your run game isn't good enough to pick up the slack. The Jets D will eat you alive with no real second WR threat and Revis locked up on Moss; other teams can scheme to take your explosion plays away without worrying about Welker acting as a substitute run game.

Hahaha, Jets fans are the gift that never stops giving. It's early March, there's still a whole offseason ahead. Well, for the Pats there is, since they can sign people and they didn't already trade away all of their draft picks for decent-to-crappy players.

I dunno why everyone's all over the Jets' nuts. They backed into the playoffs and they got absolutely shredded by Manning in the AFCCG. Not that that makes them a bad defense, but if they were half as dominant as everyone claims they are, you'd think they wouldn't have gotten their asses handed to them on D like they did.

Last edited:

Think he is referring to our short pass game, which is often viewed as a substitute for our run game..

Either that or I am giving him way tooo much credit..

Yeah, too bad that whole premise that the Pats can't run the ball is flat-out wrong in the first place (Football Outsiders had them ranked as the 9th best rushing offense in the league last year, which is admittedly too high, but definitely shows that we are far from bad). When the Pats commit to the run, they can move the ball on anyone.

In other words, put it this way: the Pats' running game is way better than the Jets' passing game.

Last edited:

Yeah, too bad that whole premise that the Pats can't run the ball is flat-out wrong in the first place (Football Outsiders had them ranked as the 9th best rushing offense in the league last year, which is admittedly too high, but definitely shows that we are far from bad). When the Pats commit to the run, they can move the ball on anyone.

In other words, put it this way: the Pats' running game is way better than the Jets' passing game.

Do not disagree, but perhaps we are giving this troll (attention prostitute) way too much attention..

this year draft will dictate the reply

Think he is referring to our short pass game, which is often viewed as a substitute for our run game..

Either that or I am giving him way tooo much credit..

This. You don't have a strong run game, but your short area passing game covers that deficiency - and that is all about Welker. Moss can go shorty, but it's not really his game. The loss of Welker is going to dramatically change how your offense works, IMO.

Of course, it's possible I'm wrong - but if I am, I'll be very impressed with Belichik, Brady, and most likely Edelman

The Pats run game does OK, particularly when opposing teams are playing pass-heavy defense. (Much like Indy's running game can be great against 6 in the box). And there's nothing wrong with that; you guys have a hall of fame QB and had two top tier receivers, so you were built in a way that required teams to overplay the pass. Now? You have only one WR of consequence (again, its possible Edelman steps up his game, but I wouldn't count on it), and that's going to change how your offense runs and how opposing Ds play you. Your OL is not built to blow people off the ball, it's built to pass block - and your RBs are mediocre at best.

Hell, I wouldn't mind Maroney on the Jets as a 3rd back, but as a number one (or even a time share with ancient Fred Taylor)? No, not what I'd call scary.

Right now they resigned 3 players , from a team that finished in a blow out loss to Balt... Its too early yet, but status quo wont be a good thing..

Hahaha, Jets fans are the gift that never stops giving. It's early March, there's still a whole offseason ahead. Well, for the Pats there is, since they can sign people and they didn't already trade away all of their draft picks for decent-to-crappy players.

Sure. And if they sign or draft someone to replace Welker's production, or significantly upgrade their running game (taking the RB out of Fresno State would be a good move, though if Brandon Graham is on the board when they pick they should run a 4.4 getting his name to the podium), my opinion will change. But as it's presently constructed? The loss of Welker makes your team significantly worse.

I dunno why everyone's all over the Jets' nuts. They backed into the playoffs and they got absolutely shredded by Manning in the AFCCG. Not that that makes them a bad defense, but if they were half as dominant as everyone claims they are, you'd think they wouldn't have gotten their asses handed to them on D like they did.

Because the Jets' weakness is CB depth, and there are very few teams that have the combination of OL, quick release/accurate QB and WR depth to take advantage of that. And you need all 3 because of the Jets' blitz schemes; San Diego had the deep WR group but not the quick release at QB or ability to pick up the Jets blitzes, and the Jets D shut down one of the most explosive offenses in the league. In other words - the Jets D is good, and very few teams in the league match up well against them.

Do not disagree, but perhaps we are giving this troll (attention prostitute) way too much attention..

Yep . . . obviously, anyone who thinks the Pats aren't the odds on favorite to win a superbowl must be a troll :rolleyes:

Yep . . . obviously, anyone who thinks the Pats aren't the odds on favorite to win a superbowl must be a troll :rolleyes:
No just people like you.

Right now with the number of holes the Patriots have (with both players and coaches), its hard for me to believe that they will be better record-wise in 2010. I don't think we've hit rock bottom yet. My hope for next season is that we lay the foundation for future years of excellence. This will require a stellar drafts, which we have the ammunition to achieve in both 2010 and 2011.

I think our defense can improve. Wilfork, Warren, Mayo, and Merriweather are studs. Butler showed flashes that he is ready to be a high quality NFL CB. Between McGowan and Chung, we are all set at Safety. Hopefully Chung will continue to develop along the same curve as Merriweather. Merriweather did nothing for two years, now he's is a pro bowler.

Offensively, we need to restock our WR corps. Losing Welker is a major blow. We have our Left OT of the future in Vollmer. Hopefully we will be able to restock the interior of our O line in the next couple of years. I'm not worried about running back. My biggest concern with the offense is play calling and adjustments. If we continue to get out schemed by defenses in the 2nd half then this team will go no where and the Brady era will end with a whimper.

Based on the fact we are just resigning the same players we had last year we will be the same team. If other teams get better or worse so will we. Any one who thinks the draft will make an impact on our success next season is mistaken.

He draft will help the depth chart, with maybe one or possibly 2 shining stars.

A little upset that there wasn't a big name in the first two days of free agency. Maybe the FO have something up their sleeve? (but I doubt it)

So, jury most definately out.

Too soon to tell. It's all "on paper" until the middle of the regular season anyway.

I'm not sure I like the "ascention (sic) or decline" options. My view is that a team either "gets better" in the Off-season or it doesn't. If a team doesn't get better, the line between getting worse and staying about the same is usually (except when a player like Tommy goes down) too thin to discern.

So far, on paper, the Bears have gotten better and probably the Jets. But big Albert didn't help the Redskins win games last year so who knows what impact Pepper will really have and Cromartie will have to pull a Moss and become his old self over night.

Too soon to tell. It's all "on paper" until the middle of the regular season anyway.

I'm not sure I like the "ascention (sic) or decline" options. My view is that a team either "gets better" in the Off-season or it doesn't. If a team doesn't get better, the line between getting worse and staying about the same is usually (except when a player like Tommy goes down) too thin to discern.

So far, on paper, the Bears have gotten better and probably the Jets. But big Albert didn't help the Redskins win games last year so who knows what impact Pepper will really have and Cromartie will have to pull a Moss and become his old self over night.
The Jest are advancing Cro $500K to pay his bills and have some walking around money, for his sake as a person I hope he doesn't become his old self...but my skepticism says walking around money is the last thing he needs.

Last edited:

Currently the odds are 10-1, which is just behind San Diego, Indianopolis and the Saints.. should check your facts before you post..

Based on the fact we are just resigning the same players we had last year we will be the same team. If other teams get better or worse so will we. Any one who thinks the draft will make an impact on our success next season is mistaken.

I disagree. A Brandon Graham or a Ryan Matthews could give the Pats a whole other dimension (I'm hoping Graham is gone before you pick)

Currently the odds are 10-1, which is just behind San Diego, Indianopolis and the Saints.. should check your facts before you post..

So . . . not the odds on favorite, then?

Also, you think that line might be a bit influenced by who people are most likely to bet on?

Right now, in the AFC, I'd say the best teams are Indy, Baltimore and SD, in that order (Baltimore + legitimate #1 receiver is scary as hell).

So . . . not the odds on favorite, then?

Also, you think that line might be a bit influenced by who people are most likely to bet on?

Right now, in the AFC, I'd say the best teams are Indy, Baltimore and SD, in that order (Baltimore + legitimate #1 receiver is scary as hell).

Put your money on Baltimore then, they have plenty of room on their bandwagon..

In your opinion are the Pats going to be a better team in 2010 than in 2009?

I have not seen the schedule yet so hard to say for sure.......there are alot of question marks on this team and we have a TON of holes to fill.......but as to whether this team could achieve a 10-6 record? That is always possible when you have Tom Brady Moss and hopefully welk or a decent #2 WR on the team........as to where this team is right now....going down....or going up? I would say "REBUILDING" is the correct term. Need to overhaul the OL.....need major LB help.........need a secondary and have done nothing in FA to help so far (We have seen what trying to rebuild a secondary via the draft has done.....yikes). We have NO #1 RB in the stable right now (Maroney, Morris, Taylor......all question marks......and faulk hasn't even re-signed yet right?) We are in a serious rebuild stage......Jests are the team to beat in the AFC with us and the doofins looking up.....that is the way I see it thus far......

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes