PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A simple question...ascension or decline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Water Boy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
In your opinion are the Pats going to be a better team in 2010 than in 2009?

Re: A Simple Question...Ascention or Decline

This one is easy: BETTER

Next question.......

I think the Pats will be a better team this year. Whether it will translate to more wins or another division title is yet to be seen, but I expect Belichick to fix a lot of the problems this offseason. History shows when weaknesses are glaring one year, he attacks them the next.

can we wait until after the draft to make a prediction?

Re: A simple question...ascention or decline

TBD.

(It's too early)

Hard to say this early in the offseason, but my money's on better. Brady coming closer to pre-injury form alone should ensure that, as long as we get a couple of reasonably credible WR threats.

And if we somehow find a pass rush, look out...

+1 as well

It's hard to say. Injuries can quickly make one area much weaker. Coming into last season, we appeared to be absolutely stacked at wide receiver. Look what happened.

Moss- separated shoulder most of the year
Welker- Banged up for first four weeks, then seriously injured in last week
Tate- Knee injury (he was the reason why we thought Galloway loss minimal)
Edelman- Broke his arm early on and didn't come back until the end of the year

Meanwhile, the "sieve" defense that everyone talked about was actually pretty darn good. They only allowed 285 points, for second best in the AFC. The problem was putting teams away and making big stops late in road games. Had the Patriots taken care of business like in the past and not blown 10+ point leads (that almost NEVER happened before last year), I think people would not be lamenting our talent. Do people realize that our point differential was better than the Colts, even before the Colts packed it in? The question is: what caused the team to play so poorly late in games and against Baltimore? Is it just one of those statistical flukes, lack of leadership, or something else? I think that most people would agree that we are still a very good team and there's no reason to blow it up just yet.

It seems that Belichick thinks the team is much better than their last game, as he has decided to bring back the core of the team rather than try to rebuild through free agency. But as Reiss wrote this week, this draft is absolutely KEY. We can no longer afford to strike out in the draft. Personally, I don't think the Patriots have done anything wrong in letting players go. Samuel wanted too much. Seymour wanted too much. The problem is, in the past we've been able to plug these holes by savvy drafting and player development. When players stop panning out, everyone looks at the former players. Did we forget that Samuel was drafted and developed as a cheap but productive alternative to Ty Law, who wanted too much?

In closing this rather long essay, I think we are still in a good position to contend for a Super Bowl, but the draft is absolutely key. Free agency has typically been a time for the Patriots to bring in some low-profile veterans. The Patriots continue to do business the exact same way they've done for ten years, and it's just a matter of finding players in April that will pay off and remind us why getting rid of price-hungry stars is the best policy.

I guess a lot depends on the production of Crable, McKenzie and Tate.

Keeping Wilfork happy eliminates a lot of negativity. Would definitely be worse without him. and counters a lot of detarctors' smack.

How can anyone know. As of now, we still have to sign or replace Welker (for at least half a year, Bodden, Faulk and Watson. It will be very difficult to even break even in these replacements.

THEN, we can talk about improvements as we upgrade for Burgess, Green, and Thomas.

I think we will know much more as we enter the draft. As always, I hope not to count on draftees for major contributions.

That's an easy question to answer. Worse. So much of your offense depended on Welker; your run game isn't good enough to pick up the slack. The Jets D will eat you alive with no real second WR threat and Revis locked up on Moss; other teams can scheme to take your explosion plays away without worrying about Welker acting as a substitute run game.

It's way too early to tell, our roster hasnt even been finalized yet. A better time to ask this question would be right before training camp starts. I would think we would be better, we havent really lost too many impact guys from last off season and you would think that will be active in making some FA signings. Also, we will have a healthy Moss, but to counter that we're without Welker for an unknown period. We also have Tate, Crable and McKenzie who were all injured last off season, who knows what these guys can do. Finally we have the draft, obviously you would hope we'd draft atleast one or two impact players. Although you cannot answer this question definitely on March 7th, most signs are pointing to being better in 2010

I guess a lot depends on the production of Crable, McKenzie and Tate.

We need 2 of 3 above to "Step up" and be effective players.

Also, the other 2009 draftboard needs to elevate their play.....Chung, Butler, Vollmer, Brace, Edelmann, Pryor.

If the FO can have a decent draft this year like the 2009 one, then there's hope as this will be the core of the team come 2010.

Depends on how we do in the draft.

That's an easy question to answer. Worse. So much of your offense depended on Welker; your run game isn't good enough to pick up the slack. The Jets D will eat you alive with no real second WR threat and Revis locked up on Moss; other teams can scheme to take your explosion plays away without worrying about Welker acting as a substitute run game.

Welker acts as a substitute for the run game? Wow, I didn't know that.

it's a quarterback league, so if brady's better, the pats will be better. he definitely was not himself last year.

Welker acts as a substitute for the run game? Wow, I didn't know that.

Think he is referring to our short pass game, which is often viewed as a substitute for our run game..

Either that or I am giving him way tooo much credit..

Worse. Tripling the salaries for the same defensive players, Wilfork and TBC, has not improved the D. Bumping up these guys will force roster changes elsewhere...likely Bodden is history as well as AD. Will rookies be able to deliver at OLB/DE for the Patriots...not likely. With word that Green is still on the radar is disturbing. Nothing like tossing medium salary at a guy that was benched during the Ravens playoff game. Considering that the AFC East opponents are run first teams, not an encouraging. The only comfort in this grouping is that PEES IS GONE. Still, without any playmakers with experience on this side of the ball, 2010 could be very rough

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes