PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Simple Case Of Cause and Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

80Brown

On the Roster
Reaction score
Been rehashed here over and over, but today's Washington Post has a great article about how the PI rules were changed largely in part because of the Patriots. As the saying goes.....careful what you wish for.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/16/AR2008011603650.html?hpid=sec-sports

When the NFL rule-makers cracked down four years ago on clutching-and-grabbing tactics by defensive players to try to open up the passing game, the move widely was viewed as a response to the rugged way in which the New England Patriots had played defense on their way to their first two Super Bowl titles.

That 2004 directive by the league's competition committee changed the way the game is played, perhaps forever. It has led to a rewriting of the record book. And, oddly enough, it set the stage for the Patriots to become arguably the most dominant team in league history this season as they chase an unbeaten season and their fourth Super Bowl championship with an offense orchestrated by Coach Bill Belichick and quarterback Tom Brady.

Bill Polian, the Colts' influential team president, was particularly angry.

I believe if BB could sum up this set of circumstances he would say:

"We don't make the rules, we just play by them."

He is so smart he can take the circumstances given, find where he can gain an advantage, and then exploit it.

As for his quote, my guess is that trolls would add "...most of the time"

One of the national talking heads was recalling a few weeks ago how he discussed the rule emphasis with Polian at the time and pointed out to him that while it might seem to be advantageous at the moment it could come back to bite him if things invariably change. Polian said he was aware of that but it was the right thing to do at that time. Since then, not only have we morphed into Air Brady as Dungy strove to bring more balanced contributions by his triplets to suit un-domed environment, but our classic physical cover corners have departed in favor of speedy little zone corners (including a ballhawk) heavily coached up on PD techniques while in order to shore up his classic speed dependant cover 2 D Dungy's corners have gotten bigger and more physical...

It is the classic be careful what you wish for. Particularly when your arch enemy is always a step ahead of the curves you are busy engineering. Bill doesn't want anything to do with the BS competition committee. All he needs is to know what they're up to...so he can prepare to countner it.

Polian said he was aware of that but it was the right thing to do at that time. Since then, not only have we morphed into Air Brady as Dungy strove to bring more balanced contributions by his triplets to suit un-domed environment...

To be fair, though, also since then Polian finally managed to win a SuperBowl.

I think BB recognized this last year when the Pats D, who had set the franchise record for least amount of points allowed, couldn't stop the Colts under the new "Polian Rules".

I think BB recognized this last year when the Pats D, who had set the franchise record for least amount of points allowed, couldn't stop the Colts under the new "Polian Rules".

Ummm . . . that's being rather simplistic. I think the bigger problem was that the flu- and injury-ravaged Patriots' D basically hit the wall at the wrong time. If they had held on for even one more series, I think the Pats would have won that game.

This reminds of me of what Tedy Bruschi said to reporters after the Colts game in 2004.

"You want to change the rules, fine. We'll beat you..."

I really forget how he said it, but he basically referenced the rules changes.

It showed what was going on in the mind of the defense all season long.

It was really a prelude to this season, since--by changing the rules--Polian had effectively insulted the New England Defense by calling them cheaters. It was clear, in Bruschi's words, that they had been insulted.

Ummm . . . that's being rather simplistic. I think the bigger problem was that the flu- and injury-ravaged Patriots' D basically hit the wall at the wrong time. If they had held on for even one more series, I think the Pats would have won that game.

You've forgotten that one of the reasons the Pats were on the road was the loss at home to the Colts during the regular season. Seems to me that during the last 3 games against the Colts, the Colts benefitted massively by back breaking iffy PI calls engineered through Polian Rules. Just look at the effect of the Hobbs "face guarding" call on how coverage was performed during the rest of the AFCG....Soft...Soft...Soft!

You can't deny the massive change by BB on how he prioritizes the WR position. He's gone from allowing FAs to walk, signing journeymen and street players to what we have today. It's a collossal change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes