Welcome to PatsFans.com

A Ron Paul type decission?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Jun 3, 2011.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

It seems logical enough but I can imagine all sorts of bigot charges if it were a straight league trying to keep gays from playing.

2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

This is silly stuff.

I wonder if this rule would go for all-girl orchestras...

[​IMG]

3. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +274 / 3 / -3

Re: A Ron Paul type decision?

42, those kinds of arguments completely ignore the reality that is the history of bigotry in the country -- in this case, towards homosexuals.

Personally, I think it sounds ridiculous for a gay league, or whatever, to keep bisexuals out, but I'm not in the league, I don't know the dynamic b/t gays and bisexuals, etc.

It reminds me of that guy who sues bars for having ladies nights, or women who want to sue Hooters for not hiring fat women.

4. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Would it sound ridiculous for a straight league to keep gays or bisexuals out because they weren't straight enough? I have a feeling that would be frowned upon. And your criticism is exactly what bothers me. It is assumed that straight people would do it out of bigotry or hate and that it would simply be a continuance of every gay bashing thing that's ever happened. Would a gay player be a jerk for suing the straight league for keeping him or her out? Would a straight league ever be allowed to start without legal challenges?

5. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +274 / 3 / -3

Like I said, you're completely ignoring the facts of bigotry in this country.

Yes, it is assumed that a "straight league" keeping gays out is doing so out of bigotry. Are there other reasons they would do so? If so, educate me.

There are legitimate reasons why a gay league might exist -- for example, non-acceptance of gays, particularly in sports, and particularly in male sports.

Are you going to pretend that, in many softball leagues, a gay man just might not be welcomed with open arms?

Personally, I think private organizations should be able to do what they want -- in this kind of situation, that goes for a gay softball league or a straight one. In this case, it would become an issue if they play on public fields, I would guess. Country club wants to prohibit gays, women, Jews, blacks, or white Christian men? I truly don't care -- none of my business. unless I'm a member or considering joining, and then it's a decision for me to make.

So, let me now turn the hypotheticals to you, since you have a problem with the gay league. Should women be able to keep men out? Should an over-40 league be able to keep 35 year olds out?

6. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

This ruling is 100% opposite of what RP would do. No one has a right to play organized sports, or anything else organized for that matter.

As long as they are not receiving public funds, they should be able to set whatever entry criteria they would want.

7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Like no blacks at the lunch counter?

8. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Yep...

No difference than the government forcing you to allow minorities to sleep in your house. Why are you suggesting we force business owners to allow any one into their private dwelling, and not force you to allow anyone into yours?

Also... where is the outrage at the country club? Why can't I go have lunch there if I am not rich enough to be a member? Shouldn't they allow me too? why can't the government force them to allow me in?

9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +575 / 6 / -2

Not if they're playing with my trombone. :D

10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +575 / 6 / -2

I'm with 42 on this one. The history should be irrelevent to the main point. I agree there is a history, but that doesn't give anyone the "right" to do something other people wouldn't be allowed to do. Certainly not as it's being done here. There shouldn't be a double standard, unless there is no standard at all. Mind you, I couldn't care less what that private league does. If it were an Irish softball league, could they restrict people who weren't "Irish enough"? I'd venture to guess that some would argue that sexuality is different than nationality, but I digress...

BTW, how do you even prove someone is, or is not gay in this case? If I showed up and said I was gay, how would they prove otherwise? How can someone not be gay enough? Do they have a gayness test or something? :confused2:

11. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Who said I had a problem with a gay league? Well not legally, anyway. If you look back at the OP I clearly said it sounded logical enough, after all it's their league. I just am sick of the double standard. Personally I wouldn't want to belong to either a gay team or a straight team if they wouldn't include everyone that has the skill to make the team. That's the problem i have with it.

If some gays insist on having a gay league and some straights insist on having a straight league then they both deserve all the bigot talk that comes along with it. I'd feel the same if blacks insisted on a negro league now or whites insisted on a white only league now. If people are hell bent on insisting on segregation in a time when no one is forced to then they are part of the problem not a solution for it.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  12. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +274 / 3 / -3

Sorry for misunderstanding your stance on this.

As for the "double standard," what exactly are you sick of? What double standards exist that affect you in any way?

Just saw your addition:

I think there are legitimate reasons for a gay-only league. Blacks only? not so much.

But when you state that "they are part of the problem," w/regard to gays, I think you're minimizing "the problem."

The problem isn't gays playing softball together, at least some of whom surely are doing so because teams in other leagues weren't wild about having a gay guy on their team.

The problem are people, including our government, continuing to deny homosexuals equal rights. The problem are people, largely religious zealots, who single out homosexuals among all sinners (which are all people) as somehow inferior or even evil, and make public statements condemning them. The problem are homophobes like Santorum who think there's no difference between two consenting adults having sex and an adult and an animal having sex, or an adult raping the child. The problem are people who continue to attack -- physically attack -- homosexuals simply for being homosexual. There are still very real problems in our society regarding the treatment of homosexuals. The problem has nothing to do with softball.

edit: btw, you didn't answer the question I posed before -- what non-bigoted reasons are there for a straight league to exclude homosexual players?

13. PatsWSB47

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Read my edit, never mind here it is:

If some gays insist on having a gay league and some straights insist on having a straight league then they both deserve all the bigot talk that comes along with it. I'd feel the same if blacks insisted on a negro league now or whites insisted on a white only league now. If people are hell bent on insisting on segregation in a time when no one is forced to then they are part of the problem not a solution for it.

The double standard is that gays kicking players not gay enough get a free pass.

14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +717 / 2 / -9

Jesus jumping Christ, we all damn well know what would be going on if Straights pulled this sh!t, yowling, screaming, bellowing, weeping, marches, boycotts, outrage and possible riots, the Loon Media would Destroy the Straights their family's and their pets would have to go into hiding maybe even leave the country.
    Holy Sh!t, limit the number of gays, holy jesus sh!t.

Wow.

:eek: