Welcome to PatsFans.com

A reminder (stay humble)

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by danny88, Sep 24, 2007.

1. danny88

danny88 Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I love the pats kicking ass just as much as the next homer , but remember to stay humble. Some people are going off the deep end. Pretty much declaring games wins , 16 - 0 , etc etc. Before you all get your panties in a bunch this is not directed at anyone in particular. The pats still have to face some good teams before you can bust out the koolaid.

I think if the fan base stays hungry it reflects to the team. As stupid as that sounds. A hungry attitude in NE people.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  2. TheSeymonsta

TheSeymonsta Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: A reminder ( stay humble)

Was anybody humble in how they enjoyed trashing the Pats for the past few weeks???:confused:

The Pats and their fans have a chip on their shoulder and it aint going anywhere soon.:mad:
  3. danny88

danny88 Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I know. Thats perfect. Stay hungry and nasty. There is a difference between wanting to shove something down the critics throat and declaring yourself winners by default week after week.

The fan base needs to be without mercy , hungry and humble. Show them with the play on the field. You know? The 16 - 0 talk, the how much are we going to win by talk is garbage.
  4. Bobs My Uncle

Bobs My Uncle PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

What does it matter what we fans say or think?

As long as the Patriots themselves don't take any game for granted all is well.
  5. danny88

danny88 Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Because if everyone is drinking the kool aid it leaks all over the place. You dont think talking about going 16 - 0 , and winning games because we showed up is stupid?

NE has some things to work on. Im sick of the homers going to far! This is a very special team. Im just saying.
  6. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +252 / 13 / -8

There is absolutely no way anything I type or say will have any impact whatsoever on anything this team does.
    I've never understood this thought process. Is it superstition? Is it fear of retribution of your expectations are high and are not realized?

Personally, I think it is what it is, and you need to enjoy it. For the first 3 games of a season, this team has been as good as any team ever over their first 3. Nothing that has happened on the field creates any doubt that they would beat any team that showed up. Sure, there are 16 left to play, and a lot can change, but I think its silly to not recognize and enjoy this.
    The height of fandom is to have your team unbeatable and historically great. We only have 3 weeks to go on, and a lot can change, but why not enjoy the fact that for these 3 games we have been exactly that.
    Perhaps next week, next month or sometime before the season is over, they will not continue to be the most dominant team ever, but why wouldn't we be reacting to the season so far being exactly what it is?

Players, coaches, video assistants and ball boys need to stay humble, because if they are overconfident, IT CAN AFFECT THE RESULTS. I can be an arrogant, overconfident blowhard, and it will mean nothing.
  7. 5 Rings for Brady!!

5 Rings for Brady!! Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Couldn't agree more.

I don't think we will go 16-0. We are only human, not robots. Bones break, knees get torn. Refs make terrible calls. Committees change rules. Players get complacent.

At the end of each game, I am thankful if we win and thankful if we stay healthy, but I also know that even the longest win streaks come to an end.

I think that it simply cheapens the appreciation for the hard work it takes to win a single game in this league when we, and the media, throw around 16-0 claims.

In the case of the media, it is easier for them to be brain dead and avoid serious analysis by simply making wild claims of 16-0. It saves them the trouble of having to look at our team objectively each week, and at the same time it increases the odds of us losing motivation every time we get patted on the back.

All we are doing is giving other teams motivation at this point with this kind of talk.

Every game in the NFL is a train wreck waiting to happen. I am only focused on the week to week. Things change fast in this league.
  8. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +252 / 13 / -8

I dont think it is at all stupid to talk about 16-0. It would be stupid to talk as if it already happened, but to talk about the possibility is just being realistic. If this team plays the next 16 like it played the first 3, there is absolutely no question, it goes 19-0.
    I haven't seen anyone say we win because we show up. I'm seeing people say the way we are playing no one can beat us. That is true.

I still dont understand why you feel an overconfident fan is a bad thing.
    As far as 'being sick of homers going to far' I am just as sick of Chicken Littles fearing success.
    The reality is you assess what is happening on the field.
    An honest assessment of that is: The way they are playing no one could beat them. Why not admit that and enjoy it?
  9. danny88

danny88 Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Ok... back to telling everyone we are going 16 - 0 :rolleyes:
  10. Bobs My Uncle

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

You think if the fans talk about this team going 16-0 the kool aid that we drink will negatively impact the Pats players and coaches? If that's what you believe then fine .... I just think believing so is way out there.
  11. danny88

danny88 Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I dont feel being confident is a bad thing. The yahoos talking like we are gods gift to the NFL are going to far.
  12. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +712 / 44 / -47

Disable Jersey

I know for a fact that such things do influence players. Players have told me so themselves. Now, the players I spoke to were baseball players, but the same rules apply.
  13. Bobs My Uncle

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Well then the coaches need to do a better job then of bringing these players back down to earth or in getting less gullable players.

The day my opinion of this team influences any player that plays on it is the day I run for office.
  14. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +712 / 44 / -47

Disable Jersey

Then run today. Players read papers, they listen to talk radio, they hear people when they go out on the town and they watch television. And they do get influenced when all they are hearing is how great (or terrible) they are.
  15. Fanfrom1960

Fanfrom1960 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Ever think that some Patriots may read this stuff? Even so, it should not affect them one iota, i.e., fans making the team out to be the best of the Packers, Steelers, 49ers and Patriots combined and letting up. Curt Schilling reads and posts to SOSH (Sons of Sam Horn), Red Sox forum, from time to time. Again, the Patriots will keep their heads level, especially with that coach, QB, and a certain safety and LB or two on the team.
  16. Bobs My Uncle

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Please, you are insulting the intellect of these professional players if you believe that us fans have any influence at all on how good they believe themselves to be. Do you not think they watch the same games that we do?

Don't give us fans so much credit.
  17. AndyJohnson

Ratings:
    +252 / 13 / -8

But that is exactly my point. SO FAR THEY HAVE BEEN.
    Saying that is not implying it does them any good in any future game.
    I don't know why its a bad thing to fairly assess the first 3 games.

After those, if you held a gun to my head, and asked me to make a prediction, quite frankly, I would have to say undefeated.
  18. NEPat

NEPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Don't worry, if they get too giddly, Belichick will smack them down. Seriously, if the players are getting big heads, it's from all the articles gushing about their play, not what fans are writing on a message board. The media carries more weight, and they are worshipping the team right now.

Anyway, I wouldn't spend two minutes worrying about what I think affecting the team. Enjoy this! The team has played near perfect football for three weeks. They won't play perfect forever, so revel in it while it lasts. It's football, it's fun, watch the highlights and chortle with glee :)
  19. danny88

danny88 Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

After the pats face the steelers,colts and the cowboys I will do my talking. Until then I stay humble.
  20. Deus Irae

Ratings:
    +712 / 44 / -47

Disable Jersey

Let me repeat what I said earlier: I know that it affects players, because players themselves have told me so. You can keep spouting the same falsehoods for as long as you want. It's not going to change what I've been told.