PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Redskins fan explains why we are the superior franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skins PR

Rookie
Reaction score
And no, I am not that fan...

This comment was so ridiculous that I figured I had to share it with you guys. There is a thread on Extremeskins, a Washington Redskins message board that I frequent, that depicts Daniel Snyder as a brilliant football mastermind who has made numerous innovations to the league and whose master plan is coming to fruition in the near future.

As if this wasn't bad enough, a poster on said thread attempted to defend Daniel Snyder's frivelous free agent spending with the following quote:

"Better to go 0-16 every year trying to build a GREAT team through Free Agency than to go 19-0 and win the Super Bowl every year by building a mediocre team through the draft (ie.. the New England Patriots)."

At first, like any rational human being would, I thought that the poster was being sarcastic. However, it turns out that he was being completely serious. Feel free to read the entire thread here:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192055

The post I am referring to is the 4th reply on the 2nd page and was made by a poster with the screenname 'Mass_SkinsFan'. I am not sure if the 'Mass' part is referring to Massachusettes.

Last edited:
Post of the month: "Never start a thread again."

:D

"Better to go 0-16 every year trying to build a GREAT team through Free Agency than to go 19-0 and win the Super Bowl every year by building a mediocre team through the draft (ie.. the New England Patriots)."

that has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever read.

Edited: response to a post that disappeared.

Last edited:
that has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever read.

It's ridiculous alright. My response on extremeskins was:

"Ok, what I am about to say I mean quite literally and I say it with absolutely no exaggeration or hyperbole... probably the dumbest statement ever uttered in the history of forever."

This comment was so ridiculous that I figured I had to share it with you guys. There is a thread on Extremeskins, a Washington Redskins message board that I frequent, that depicts Daniel Snyder as a brilliant football mastermind who has made numerous innovations to the league and whose master plan is coming to fruition in the near future.

As if this wasn't bad enough, a poster on said thread attempted to defend Daniel Snyder's frivelous free agent spending with the following quote:

At first, like any rational human being would, I thought that the poster was being sarcastic. However, it turns out that he was being completely serious. Feel free to read the entire thread here:

The post I am referring to is the 4th reply on the 2nd page and was made by a poster with the screenname 'Mass_SkinsFan'. I am not sure if the 'Mass' part is referring to Massachusettes.

That guy is a joke. He was on kffl for a while until he got laughed out of there. One of his most famous goofs was when he was a Red Sox fan and they were down 0-3 to the yankees. He "renounced" his fandom to the Sox and asked how he could become a yankees' fan. Of course, the Sox then went on to reverse sweep the yanks, sweep the cards and win the World Series.

Last edited:
I like the idea that Snyder was trying to get everyone else in the NFL to go the free agent route to build a team so he could go ahead and build the draft. He sure is milking it, though!

On another note, I think Matt Millen has been hustling the NFL all along and will unleash a decade long dynasty for the Lions any minutes now! :D

The award might have to be for the most untimely post in history, considering the Patriots have become the Redskins. Dan Snyder has set up shop in Foxboro.

The award might have to be for the most untimely post in history, considering the Patriots have become the Redskins. Dan Snyder has set up shop in Foxboro.

Uh, they had $30M in cap room by not buying up every free agent in sight.

Now they make one huge free agent signing...relatively cheap, I might add...and three other very smart pickups and they're the 'Skins?

Who's that first team in your name, by the way, and what'd $200M get them?

What does that even mean??

They will officially become the Redskins in philosphy if

1. they trade away their draft picks a year early and mortgage the future drafts(Pats do the opposite and collect picks)

2. overpay free agents only if the free agents turn out to be busts and become little more than overpayed special teams players(Adam Archuleta),

3. overpay for assistants rather than develop them in their system.

Sometimes free agency is the only way to get better quickly. We traded a #2 for Welker because in our system, getting an established receiver will help us more than drafting a guy who might be more talented but would take longer to develop.

All I know about Dan Snyder is he bought two tubs of vanilla ice cream, left them on defensive coordinator Mike Nolan's desk (when he was in WAS) with a note attached saying "I hate vanilla, so stop playing a vanilla defense." Nolan then proceeds to win an SB in baltimore, and took the lowly 49ers back to respectability. But yeah, besides that, I guess Snyder really knows what he's doing! (end sarcasm)

The whole thread is hilarious. This made me laugh the hardest though...

green40bt8.png

This Mass _SkinsFan is an odd duck. This post was in one of the threads SnyderMustGo linked to in the extremeskins thread:
Mass_SkinsFan said:
Redskins are not suitable for the 6th pick
I've said it before and I'll say it again. We have two options here....

We either take an instant impact player at a NEED position (DE/DT/CB/MLB) or I think we should just walk away, because we aren't going to get anything worthwhile if we trade down.

First off, if we trade down, we're not going to get the real value for the #6 pick. We're going to get stuck with two (or more) players who most likely will not be impact players this season. Paying two players to sit on the sidelines and do nothing of any value when we could have an instant impact player just doesn't make any sense to me.

It's like trading an American $20 bill for an American $10 bill and a Canadian $5 bill. You just don't get equal value so far as I'm concerned.
Of his two options, one is nonsensical. His first option is supported by a unrealistic belief that (1) you can count on any rookie to be an impact player right out of camp, and (2) that impact potential evaporates after the middle of the first round. Finally, his conclusion is just as nonsensical and convoluted as the premise of his post. Canadian currency? Why?

Elsewhere he proclaims big money free agent signings to be the way to bring impact players into the fold, but then he says stuff like this:
Mass_SkinsFan said:
We don't need more role players. We've got role players with big names coming out our ears. We've got 2nd and 3rd string talent at pretty much every position on the team. What we need are IMPACT PLAYERS. In my opinion you don't find those guys outside the Top 10-15 slots in the draft.

He clarifies that as follows:
Mass_SkinsFan said:
I have no interest in players drafted after the first round, and not even that much interest in players drafted outside the upper half of the first round. They're just too much of a guess as to who is or isn't going to succeed. I have no interest in players whose main positive attributes are "potential", or "great motor but needs work", or "can be taught".

Personally, I'd prefer to see the team built ENTIRELY through Free Agency, but under the current financial system the NFL uses that's not going to happen. I have a particular view of the way the draft should be run and what should be expected out of the players drafted. It's an unusual view, but it is the way I see things. If you don't agree with it, that's fine. We're all entitled to our own opinion.

Since free agency has netted the Skins nothing but 2nd and 3rd stringers with "big names," and the only impact players are the first 15 in each draft, you've got to wonder how Mass_SkinsFan expects Washington to build a team. 22 consecutive losing seasons, with 22 consecutive drafts of non-busts, coupled with the development of a fountain of youth/time travel device/anti-aging cream to enhance player longevity?

The best part is that he so much as admits his "particular view" of player management has no basis in reality, but that's fine, cause it's his own opinion, and he's entitled to it. Other people point out there are just as many impact players outside the first round as in it, but he waves that all off as a difference in opinion.

The obvious question is why he feels the need to share, advance and defend an opinion he obviously invested so little of himself in forming. This is me, and this is my opinion, but it's not really mine, it just follows me around.

Mass_SkinsFan has an unhealthy hatred of everythng Patriots. I'm actually surprised he is still a Skins fan. When the Skins were courting David Paten a couple of years ago he kept stating up and down KFFL that if they signed him he would stop being a skins fan on the spot. Unfortunately for every real Skins fan for some reason he didn't follow through with it.
Here is a little story (other than the obvious of course) as to why you and every-other skins fan desperately want him to stop being a skins fan and jump ship to be a Cowboy's fan.
Remember the ALCS in 2004. The Sox fell down 3-0 to the Yankees. There was a Baseball thread about the ALCS and you friend Mass used to be a Red sox fan. Until after game 3 of the ALCS that is. After the game he goes on a rant on how he quits as a Sox fan and he is smartening up and becoming a Yankee fan. Just like you we thought he was pissed of and didn't mean it but just like in this other thread he proved he was serious. Anyway in case you live in a cave the Sox came back to win the series and then become World Champions after a 86 year old drought. He still to this day maintains that he made the right decision and that he has no regrets.
So now you know what to ask god for every night when you pray before you go to bed.

I remember that jerk from kffl. What more can be said.

I remember that jerk from kffl. What more can be said.
I remember him too. In my recollection, one of his believes was that the draft is a crapshoot, so Snyder's tactic of trading all draft picks for name free agents is the smart thing to do. (It kind of makes sense if you choose to forget the salary cap:) ).

The funny thing is that we are now using his logic to rationalize the Welker trade. It makes me a little uneasy, I do think BB is right here, but I used to laugh at Mass_SkinsFan...

MSF also once stopped dating a woman because she was a Steeler fan.

And when Al Gore was leading election night 2000, he was down in his basement cleaning his guns to get a head start on using them.

He was finally banned from KFFL, by the way, for reasons other than being an idiot. He made too explicit a threat of personal violence against another poster, and a mod who bans essentially NOBODY immediately booted him out.

All that said -- the guy has his good sides. If you can't get rid of him, get him talking about the Society for Creative Anachronism. He's genuinely interesting when he gets onto that subject.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes