Welcome to PatsFans.com

A Question

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +482 / 1 / -9

I had a fight with my wife this morning, she threw water on me while I was sitting on the toilet, when I was all done in the bathroom I threw her picture of Bill Clinton in the woodstove and that won't be the end of it either I have some other sh!t planned, this is what started the fight and I know somebody on here will be able to answer it.

Question:
    "Was Abortion Legal In Massachusetts During 1952, Could You Walk Into A Hospital And Get One, Were There Any Special Acquirements "

I can't find it on Google but of course I am not very good at the Google stuff.
    Mrspatsfan I know you will have the answer please help me before I push her down the stairs.

:confused:
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Advice: Don't argue while you are on the toilet. Its about as defenseless as you can get.
  3. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

But that's where most of the best thinking is done!
  4. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +473 / 9 / -3

#24 Jersey

No pushing, Harry.

And no, abortions were not legal in MA or anywhere else in The USA in 1952 unless the mother's life was in danger. It's possible that they gave that a lot more leeway when abortions were illegal, however, and that it was possible to find a doctor or a hospital willing to perform an abortion if the woman could convince them that she would die otherwise. An area such as MA with more liberal leaning professors and doctors might be a bit more willing to stretch the definition of "in danger of dying." but that still would not have made abortions legal in MA during that time period.

In its 1859 convention, the American Medical Association (AMA) declared that the practice of abortion should be outlawed. This was followed a decade later by the Church when, in 1869, the Apostolic sedis Pius IX pronounced that abortion was a transgression of the faith and a ground for excommunication (Hurst, 1991). Thus, by the 1870s, the medical profession and the Church had joined forces in criminalising abortion and succeeded in prohibiting its practise. Accordingly, the induced abortion was allowed only for therapeutic purpose of saving the life of pregnant woman. This decree remained in force for a century till 1973 when the Supreme Court initiated the process of liberalisation through its ruling on the Roe vs Wade case.

Abortion, Pregnancy Abortion, Illegal Abortion of Pregnancy, Dangers of Child Abortion - Eco India
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +482 / 1 / -9

Thanks Mrs, godamnit she was right, damn females they know everything.
    :mad:
  6. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Actually it changed a few years before Roe when some states legalized it.....

Why Can't We Love Them Both? On Line Book by Dr. and Mrs. Willke.

When did the first state legalize abortion?
    <<<<<
    In 1967 Colorado and California legalized abortion. By June, 1970, when the State of New York passed the first Abortion on Demand Law (24-week limit), it be-came the 16th state to allow abortion. Due to an extremely loose interpretation of "mental health," California also had defacto abortion-on-demand. Alaska and Hawaii had liberal laws. Laws in the other 12 states, which included Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Kansas, Maryland, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina and Virginia, were very restrictive, typically allowing abortion only for pregnancies due to assault rape, incest and life of the mother as well as for severe fetal handicap. >>>>>