PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A question to/about these Trolls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownfan80

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
What is with these Trolls?

What's the point of coming on here pretending to be things you're not?

Patsummerall80 spent the better part of two weeks trying to convince everyone he was a patsfan only to admit now he's a Steelers fan. What's the point? Don't you have better things to do with your time?

That RXjock guy spent the better part of four hours trying to back his 'tedy is done' opinion by claiming he was a med student. Only later to admit that it was a bold faced lie and that he's not a Patsfan either.

My question isn't so much 'why do they post here?' because I get the draw of trying to rile up fans of other teams. But the thing that I don't get is that they invent these lies and then spend HOURS, DAYS, or even WEEKS defending them for no purpose.

It astounds me that there are people with so much free time as to come on another team's fansite and defend a lie for hours days and weeks.

My question is to the trolls: What's the point? Why do you do it?
Don't you have better things to do?

Brownfan80 said:
What is with these Trolls?

What's the point of coming on here pretending to be things you're not?

Patsummerall80 spent the better part of two weeks trying to convince everyone he was a patsfan only to admit now he's a Steelers fan. What's the point? Don't you have better things to do with your time?

That RXjock guy spent the better part of four hours trying to back his 'tedy is done' opinion by claiming he was a med student. Only later to admit that it was a bold faced lie and that he's not a Patsfan either.

My question isn't so much 'why do they post here?' because I get the draw of trying to rile up fans of other teams. But the thing that I don't get is that they invent these lies and then spend HOURS, DAYS, or even WEEKS defending them for no purpose.

It astounds me that there are people with so much free time as to come on another team's fansite and defend a lie for hours days and weeks.

My question is to the trolls: What's the point? Why do you do it?
Don't you have better things to do?

Quick answer: No, they don't have better things to do, and you're wasting your time contemplating it.

There are two kinds of trolls. The first are up front about who they are and what team they are fans of. I mostly enjoy good natured smack with them.

Then there is the "undercover trolls". They pretend to bee Patriots fans and even take "names" as patriot fans and even past and present patriot players. Then they post thinly vieled threads on one hand supporting the team but then knocking the team.

I hate those bastards and I spit on them. One or two fooled me for a little while. We will be getting more of them as the playoffs progress.

Richter said:
Quick answer: No, they don't have better things to do, and you're wasting your time contemplating it.

I contemplated that double edged sword.

But then I decided that since I post here often and they keep coming around and wasting my time with their inane lies that it'd be in my best interest to understand them. That way I can better identify them and thusly avoid them in the future.

PATSNUTme said:
There are two kinds of trolls. The first are up front about who they are and what team they are fans of. I mostly enjoy good natured smack with them.

Then there is the "undercover trolls". They pretend to bee Patriots fans and even take "names" as patriot fans and even past and present patriot players. Then they post thinly vieled threads on one hand supporting the team but then knocking the team.

I hate those bastards and I spit on them. One or two fooled me for a little while. We will be getting more of them as the playoffs progress.

I'd much rather have a FinFan type poster than a guy like Patsummerall80. At least you know what you're getting into when you click a post by a fan that admits they like the dolphins jets or raiders.

In one word....jealousy. They know that what the Pats have done and are doing is unprecedented and want to shake our faith in the team. It's amazing that they choose to spend their free time thinking that this is important, but these are not normal human beings.

andyguitar

andyguitar said:
In one word....jealousy. They know that what the Pats have done and are doing is unprecedented and want to shake our faith in the team. It's amazing that they choose to spend their free time thinking that this is important, but these are not normal human beings.

andyguitar

That's actually what I was pondering earlier. Are these just normal guys that have real lives? Or are these sick internet kiddies that sit in their rooms in mommy's house just posting all day and night as sad alter egos all over the net? I pity them honestly if that's the case.

Not to worry my friend, just watch our shmessed up troll hunter snuffling through the threads on the track of the next under-medicated squealer. :trolls:

Box_O_Rocks said:
Not to worry my friend, just watch our shmessed up troll hunter snuffling through the threads on the track of the next under-medicated squealer. :trolls:

Careful, we don't want to "jump on all the Noobs". Whatever the hell that meant.

Box_O_Rocks said:

It's an honor to be on the job, sir!

(actually it was a guilty pleasure to smoke that guy out!)

Some people are just jerks.

lol, patsummerall admitted he was a steelers fan? thats funny :p

Guess yall were right ^.^

Brownfan80 said:
Careful, we don't want to "jump on all the Noobs". Whatever the hell that meant.
Heh, I'm overmedicated now, so whatever the hell did that mean? :cool:

shmessy said:
It's an honor to be on the job, sir!

(actually it was a guilty pleasure to smoke that guy out!)
Smoking Troll? Now that is shmessed up! :D

Hm, my in-laws told me I had too much time on my hands when I explained to them the many reasons why I hate Peyton Manning. (Hey, they asked.) I can't imagine what they would say about people who spend time making up fake personas and going to great lengths to keep the internet charade going.

Fans congregate and talk about their team. That is very normal, kind of a socializaiton of people with like interests getting together. There are a zillion assoications and groups in the world doing just that.

So why do some people eschew gathering with people of common interests and instead go to a place where he doesn't belong and certainly isn't wanted (except by a very few who like chaos and disorder)?

I understand when the week before a game other fans of next weeks opponent come here to talk about the game and players. To me, that is very different from the fans of other teams who hang around picking and poking even when a common game isn't coming up. They are not PatsFans. Even when they are open about it, their purpose is only to disrupt and interfere. They have a place to talk aobut hteir team, but they seem to feel their team will be better if they can say the other team isn't good? I don't know. I don't understand how they think and for that I am grateful.

I too get annoyed at trolls, but when I think about it I feel sorry for a person with so few manners and is so rude he will go to someone else's meeting house and insult his hosts and mock what his hosts respect. A person who keeps going back time and again to a place where he isn't wanted has a severe problem with self-respect and pride. He can do it because the internet is faceless, but it is just as rude. There simply is no accountability. I suppose it is cowardly. It certainly does nothing for their dignity to be despised.

Steerlerfans/jetsfans/coltsfans/raidersfans: Grow a pair. Show some diginity.

On the other hand, this behavior is typical of pre-schoolers and maybe first or second graders, who don't care if they are despised as long as that can act like Jackasses, so perhaps they just need to mature emotionally if they are able.

The internet is the perfect place to try and look tough. People come here to pretend to be things that they could not be the farthest thing from. Look at internet sexual prowlers :-/
Trolls = Internet Sexual Prowlers... haha i like it!

Bella*chick said:
Hm, my in-laws told me I had too much time on my hands when I explained to them the many reasons why I hate Peyton Manning. (Hey, they asked.) I can't imagine what they would say about people who spend time making up fake personas and going to great lengths to keep the internet charade going.

They do have a point. I wondered about all the time I spend on this board.

However, those people don't understand what it's like to be a super fan vs a casual fan. I doubt if they could understand. People in my own household question my sanity when it comes to the Partiots but they accept it when they see how I live or die on every play of every game.

PATSNUTme said:
They do have a point. I wondered about all the time I spend on this board.

However, those people don't understand what it's like to be a super fan vs a casual fan. I doubt if they could understand. People in my own household question my sanity when it comes to the Partiots but they accept it when they see how I live or die on every play of every game.

It's funny, I thought about that too. Perhaps they DO have a point, but it's how I choose to spend my time, at work, at home or whenever. I guess we just can't help what we have a passionate interest in.

My in-laws, for example, have a big interest in theater and spend much time and money on that. I couldn't personally care less about the theater. I guess I could tell them they have too much time on their hands and they are also wasting a ton of money, but that is their interest, so I don't.

Last edited:
Bella*chick said:
It's funny, I thought about that too. Perhaps they DO have a point, but it's how I choose to spend my time, at work, at home or whenever. I guess we just can't help what we have a passionate interest in.

My in-laws, for interest, have a big interest in theater and spend much time and money on that. I couldn't personally care less about the theater. I guess I could tell them they have too much time on their hands and they are also wasting a ton of money, but that is their interest, so I don't.

Exactly - you nailed it. We are what we are- super fans or we wouldn't be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes