PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A question for running back afiocionados

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patdown93

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
I was looking at Maroney's stats and I noticed in games he runs more he has more yardage. Perhaps that's because the more attempts he gets the better chance of him breaking one.

But, for those who know the running back position well. Is it possible Maroney is one of those backs that needs more carries to get into a groove? Is it possible that Maroney is hampered by our runningback by committee approach?

DeAngelo Williams was the other back I was looking at and he also does better the more carries he gets.

I do understand that the possibility is that because the Panthers and Pats are runningback by committee teams (the Panthers having Williams and Stewart) that they go with the back with the hot hand. But does that harm running backs at all if they get out to a slow start?

In games where Maroney has gotten 20 carries or more here are his stats by the way:

93 att 420 yds 4.5 ypc

Re: A question for running back afiocionados.

Probably one of the reasons they don't give the ball to Maroney more often is because they have a better chance of getting 1st Downs and TD's with Tom Brady and his WR's than with a guy who is (let's face it) injury prone and has a tendency to be indecisive behind the line.

The only reason he's on the team is that occasionally he can bust a long run out and he's still on his 1st round draft rookie contract. Don't look for the Pats to resign him once his contract is up.

Re: A question for running back afiocionados.

In games where Maroney has gotten 20 carries or more here are his stats by the way:

93 att 420 yds 4.5 ypc

I looked at this a while ago and 13 carries seemed to be the threshold for Maroney being effective. He did even better in the playoffs, so it wasn't just running against inferior opponents. So I think a good plan would be for getting Maroney his 15 carries and then having a fresh Taylor close out the game against a tired defense. Hopefully the Pats offense can get in a better rhythm and put something like this in place.

I know that I've read many NFL running backs say that they need several carries to 'get in the groove' and be successful in a game; it's not something that is limited to Maroney and Williams.

If that is the case then perhaps the answer is to designate a starter and a backup for each game, based on their skill set and the opposing defense. Let that week's starters get most of the reps, then essentially give him the following off so he has more time to heal up and make it through the season.

I realize that may sound a little bizarre but perhaps that makes more sense than backs alternating series by series.

Given how little we run, there is little need in a game for more than a primary back and a 3rd down back.

It is possible that another might be brought in for short yeardage or as a change of pace. The main point still stands. I strongly agree that we should have a primary back each game, with the idea of him carrying 20 times.

I know that I've read many NFL running backs say that they need several carries to 'get in the groove' and be successful in a game; it's not something that is limited to Maroney and Williams.

If that is the case then perhaps the answer is to designate a starter and a backup for each game, based on their skill set and the opposing defense. Let that week's starters get most of the reps, then essentially give him the following off so he has more time to heal up and make it through the season.

I realize that may sound a little bizarre but perhaps that makes more sense than backs alternating series by series.

Given how little we run, there is little need in a game for more than a primary back and a 3rd down back.

It is possible that another might be brought in for short yeardage or as a change of pace. The main point still stands. I strongly agree that we should have a primary back each game, with the idea of him carrying 20 times.

given how little we ran, this committee is useless....might as well have just two backs, a 1st/2nd down back, and a 3rd down back

its not like theyll get tired

It's all about courage!

Maroney needs to read and trust the other players on offense, take what is there and quite trying to go the distance on every run unless it is there.

It's all about courage!

Maroney needs to read and trust the other players on offense, take what is there and quite trying to go the distance on every run unless it is there.
It would help if we actually called running plays.

All running backs run better with more carries. All offensive lines block better and mesh with the running backs with more carries. All defenses get tires and beat up as the game goes on if you pound it sometimes.

Great, experienced RBs like Dillon and Taylor might get untracked a little earlier, but I'll stick with everything I said earlier being pretty much true.

You can get two RBs untracked with consistent use as the other two factors will still be in your favor. More than that is problematical, unless you plan to run a mostly ground game offense.

Last edited:

Not a bad idea. I think you run one guy most of a half, then blend in.
You can't just run 10 times a game, whether you use one or two.

Last edited:
My preference is Taylor, but why would it wrong to give a player who gains over 4.5 yards a carry the ball 20 times a game?

It's all about courage!

Remember in the 2004 AFC divisional playoff game how Dillon ran through the Colts and wore them down, but they also mixed in Faulk on some 1st and 2nd downs as a change of pace? That was a beautiful game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes