PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Question About the 5th Year Option..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
So let's fast forward to after the 2015 season. Both Chandler Jones and Donta Hightower are scheduled to be free agents. Will we be able to exercise the 5th year option on both players or will we have to choose between one or the other?

So let's fast forward to after the 2015 season. Both Chandler Jones and Donta Hightower are scheduled to be free agents. Will we be able to exercise the 5th year option on both players or will we have to choose between one or the other?
Both players have fifth year options, all first round picks have the fifth year option.

Both players have fifth year options, all first round picks have the fifth year option.
Alright thanks, wasn't sure whether it was restricted to one 1st round player per year for each team or not.

Would we be able to afford them in the question? Solder, McCourty, Chandler Jones, Hightower, and Revis all need extensions in the next 2 seasons. Can we keep them all?

Thought so, but when they announced Easley's contract there was no mention of 5th year option and thought I was wrong...

NFL teams have to pick up the 2016 option by May 3, 2015. Since May 3, 2015 is a Sunday , the deadline may actually be 4PM May 1, 2015.

In 2014 these were the option amounts. Expect an increase in 2015.
Defensive End: $6.969 Mil
Linebacker: $7.038 Mil

Chandler jones will be extended before that, Hightower would have his option picked up, and the year after hightower will be extended.

The patriots are not like other teams who enjoy tagging a player for a year, which is essentially what the 5th year option is. They will at least make an effort to sign the young guys if they continue to play well.

Chandler jones will be extended before that, Hightower would have his option picked up, and the year after hightower will be extended.

The patriots are not like other teams who enjoy tagging a player for a year, which is essentially what the 5th year option is. They will at least make an effort to sign the young guys if they continue to play well.

It's like a franchise tag, except at a significantly lower price (outside the top 10 picks).

Jones, barring disaster, worth it.
What about hightower? Is he worth it? I am not too proficient in grading lbs as i initially thought Mayo as average and that is not accurate.

Jones, barring disaster, worth it.
What about hightower? Is he worth it? I am not too proficient in grading lbs as i initially thought Mayo as average and that is not accurate.
I think this is going to be an important season in Hightower’s career direction. Is he going to develop into a Mayo who remains at the level of a Spikes type player, which is essentially an All Pro or an average to sometime above average starter?

Would we be able to afford them in the question? Solder, McCourty, Chandler Jones, Hightower, and Revis all need extensions in the next 2 seasons. Can we keep them all?
We will have money from some of our old more expensive players likely retiring or parting ways such as – Wilfork, Mankins, Connolly, and others over the next few years.

Revis will turn 30 prior to the start of 2015 so I am not sure how long you want to extend him for if you are the Patriots, will he be elite past the age of 32-33? Many CBs seem to drop off significantly around that age.

My guess is one goes. I think Solder a McCourty wll be back for sure on extensions, while one of the other three walks at some point the next couple years, maybe two of them.

We will have money from some of our old more expensive players likely retiring or parting ways such as – Wilfork, Mankins, Connolly, and others over the next few years.

Revis will turn 30 prior to the start of 2015 so I am not sure how long you want to extend him for if you are the Patriots, will he be elite past the age of 32-33? Many CBs seem to drop off significantly around that age.
My thing with Revis is depending on how our other CBs develop. If Browner ends up living to the hype and if Logan Ryan becomes a great player, we could easily let him walk and still have a very good set of corners with Dennard and Arrington around as well.

My thing with Revis is depending on how our other CBs develop. If Browner ends up living to the hype and if Logan Ryan becomes a great player, we could easily let him walk and still have a very good set of corners with Dennard and Arrington around as well.
I think this is the last season for Arrington. I cannot see them paying him the remainder of his contract unless he plays significantly better this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes