PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Question About Suspensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsBoy12

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I just read that Spikes tested positive for a banned substance because of his ADHD medication. Now I don't know exactly what is in the medication that would cause a positive result but, since it's a prescribed thing and he isn't using it to get a competitive advantage, shouldn't/couldn't the suspension be rescinded? Just wondering . . .

I just read that Spikes tested positive for a banned substance because of his ADHD medication. Now I don't know exactly what is in the medication that would cause a positive result but, since it's a prescribed thing and he isn't using it to get a competitive advantage, shouldn't/couldn't the suspension be rescinded? Just wondering . . .

That would make sense. But this is the NFL.

Where did you find out its because of his ADHD medicine?

Maybe I'm just being a cynic, but he didn't just say that to not make himself look bad did he?

Correct me if I'm wrong but since it's been announced it was ADHD medication there has been nothing that's said it was a prescription. This type of medication helps people focus, and it is not uncommon for students to take some of their friends meds to help them focus on exams and what not. What is to stop Spikes from doing something similar for games?

Just playing devils advocate since what I wrote above is just as speculative as the comment about the meds he was caught with being prescription, but it is something to think about. What he was taking certainly isn't as bad as steroids, and I'm glad they weren't - but he could have still been taking them to help with his focus on the field.

the banned substance list is huge for the NFL, and not all drugs on it are performance enhancing. But a lot of ADHD and ADD medication contains amphetamines, which can be seen as a performance enhancer.

Drug testing policies for all sports are asinine. The NFL's is no different and, unfortunately, it's not going to change for the better any time soon.

I've heard, preliminarily, that he isn't prescribed the medication. If he has a proper prescription and takes the med under a doctor's supervision for ADHD, then I'm hard-pressed to see how he could be suspended. Wth that said, Adderal and Ritalin are popular with young people for providing a spectacular party buzz, particularly when combined with alcohol. They both also provide, without alcohol, the same type of performance enhancement as greenies did in the '60s and '70s. I'm not proud of this, but as a college athlete in the late '60s, I dabbled in greenies and they definitely provided enhanced awareness, energy and focus. They were easily available and most guys I played with took them from time to time. Particularly effective at treating being out late at night , drinking, etc., and then having to play in the early afternoon.

Taking ADHD medicine is just as bad as raping college girls in a club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes