Welcome to PatsFans.com

A Prediction...

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by SamBam39, Mar 16, 2007.

1. SamBam39

SamBam39 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I while back I was reading an article interviewing BB, and he said naturally they'll be some tweaks to the coaching staff sometime soon, not sure when.
    and it got me thinking, and I have a prediction...

I think in the next year or two, we're going to hire a new defensive coordinator, and his name is going to be...

Romeo Crennel !!

Think about it. He's had two season's to "Turn Around" the Browns so far and has gone 6-10, then 4-12. I'd say this year He's likely to do no better than
    8-8. And I think he could easily fall short of that. If he even gets a "next year", I think it'll be more of the same. Especially given his competition within the division. I think there's a good shot he's done at the end of this season.
    and just what do you think will happen to him then?
    easy.
    one of two things.
    Mangini hires him or Belichick hires him.
    My bet is the he goes back to BB and stays with him for the next 5 years at least.
    I'm actually very confident this is exactly how it's going to play out and I'm actually very pleased just thinking about it. Maybe they can hire McGinest as a LB coach when he retires!
    Now if we can just get Charlie back at OC !! :)
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +304 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

I would have no problem with Crennel returning if we needed him but Pees has done a fine job and I see no reason to replace him.
  3. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +495 / 5 / -10

#61 Jersey

Good point. I don't see anyone replacing Pees who is doing a good job. And when you think about it, why would Romeo necessarily want to work for Mangina? Same deal there with an adequate coaching staff. Crennell would probably go to a team that has a D-coordinator vacancy.
  4. SamBam39

SamBam39 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I have no problem with Pees either, but I don't think BB would hesitate for a second to bring back Romeo. They worked together for so many years and had such great success, I think there's little doubt BB would go for it if the opportunity presented itself. It's not a knock on Pees.

I was just looking at stats, in the 8 years since the Browns regained their franchise, they have had 7 losing seasons - 2 by Chris Palmer, 3 by Butch Davis, and 2 by Romeo Crennel, and have gone 40-89 !! Shows you that Romeo's time is running out.

Remember, you heard it here first. I'm positive this will happen.
  5. SamBam39

SamBam39 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

While I understand your thinking, I think BB would swoop and grab him before anyone else did. Just me feeling based on thier history and his obvious affection towards him and their time together.
  6. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -13

The question is whether Crennel and Pees are each too old to get a high-paying university HC job. If they aren't, either one will take it, just to provide for their families.

And yes, I know Pees turned down a feeler this year. But I'm guessing he'll be gone soon, back to the college ranks, to finish out his career.
  7. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +304 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Crennel signed for 5 years for a few million a year. He gets it all as long as he doesn't resign - he'll have no issue providing for his family :)
  8. SamBam39

SamBam39 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

and if and when he gets canned, BB will be on the phone with him probably before it even happens.

mark my words. BB won't just let him hang there. He'll be hired instantly if my hunch is right.
  9. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0

thought about Crennel, too, but no need to get rid of Pees. He's been great. Maybe Romeo would do a year as Assistant HC and a position (DL?).
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +304 / 9 / -9

#24 Jersey

Like Belichick was for Parcells in NE in '96 - Al Groh was still the DC, Belichick was the AHC and DB coach. He did some other assignments like helping Bledsoe prepare for the upcoming defense.

Belichick would, no doubt, have a good job for Romeo under this scenario but I don't think it would entail removing Pees from his current job.
  11. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +511 / 5 / -1

I don't see Crennel ever coming back to New England under Belichick. I think it would be a step backwards for him. I think if he leaves the Browns, he will either get another NFL Head Coach position, follow Weis into the college coaching ranks, or hook up with another team as a DC where he can bring his profile back up to be a Head Coaching candidate a year or two down the line.

I really doubt Belichick would oust Pees to bring back in Crennel when Pees has the defense running as good as Crennel had it (well maybe not 2003 level, but all the other years) with arguably lesser talent.

I don't see them bringing him in as Assistant Head Coach since they wouldn't strip Scharnecchia of his title. Also, I don't think it would be productive to have a potential power struggle for the defense between Pees and Crennel.

The only way I see Crennel coming back to the Pats is as Belichick's successor or if Pees took a head coaching job elsewhere. The days of him working under Belichick is probably over.
  12. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -13

Good point!
  13. SamBam39

SamBam39 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

yeah, I could see that.
    I'm just saying he'd bring him back and before long, he'd be back to his old job! Assistant head coach might be the title he gave him.

It's interesting, cuz, honestly, I can't see cleveland continuing to hope for some belichick like magic to happen much longer. and I don't really see romeo turning things around there.

I give it a year, 2 at the very most but I doubt even that.
  14. SamBam39

SamBam39 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I think your wrong!
    First off, I don't think Romeo is ever going to get another head coaching position. I never thought he was head coach material and his peformance leading the browns has not swayed that opinion for a moment. Not because he's not smart enough, it's just a really really tough job and takes a certain type of persopn to be successful at it and I just don't think romeo is that type of guy. I think other teams are gonna see that too during this current stint.
    second, I don't think romeo will want to go back to the college ranks. he'd have to be the head guy there and I think he's just more likely to stay st the pro level. I could be wrong.
    thirdly, I think he'd much rather return to the pats and bb than go somewhere else. I don't think there'd be any kind of power struggle or anything like that. I think everyone would just be glad he was back and BB would find a suitable place for him.
  15. TealSox

TealSox Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thought about that last season.... Crennel coming back to the Patriots when the Browns decide to move on with a new coach.

Its unfortunately and this is one reason I don't want them to draft a QB. Drafting a QB will take time and the last thing that Crennel has is time. Lately, the team has made a lot of good moves. I thought the last two season of draft picks was decent and their moves in free agency were good. I didn't like the Jamal Lewis signing because I thought Reuben was better, but Lewis kills the Browns and there is no fault in taking the knife from your enemy.

I don't see Crennel coming back to the Pats unless the position opened up. Maybe he is hired as assistant coach, but not defensive coordinator. I am sure that Mangini would jump all over him and attempt to keep him from the Pats. The more interest the Jets have, the greater interest the Pats will have to get him back.
  16. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Heres another scenerio ;) ...Belichick leaves the Patriots and swaps positions with Romeo and BB gets a HC job again in Cleveland where it all started for him and Romeo then comes back to the Patriots for filling the opening AS HEAD COACH!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
  17. SamBam39

SamBam39 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I don't have any doubt Mangini woulod try to keep him from returning to BB, and Like I said, it wouldn't have to be DC for BB to hire him back, he'd hire him under any title he felt like, just to get him back.

I agree about the cleveland moves. BB has security and can build for the future. Romeo won't have such freedom. they would've been better off trading for McGahee or Jones. Their QB is killing them though.
    they should trade for trent green or do something!
  18. TealSox

TealSox Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I like that!

Trent Green passing to Braylon Edwards and a young tight end like Winslow II. That could make the Browns a poor man's Baltimore. A really, really poor man's version I should say. Defense isn't as good, but a couple good players away from that.
  19. SamBam39

SamBam39 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

well, it's just that frye is killing them. Romeo first needs to get some forward momentum going through veteran free agents like BB did. He's needs a qb that knows how to win. then he can work at getting the team younger.

if you don't win, you don't stay.
  20. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0