Welcome to PatsFans.com

A potential benifit of Obama -- Hope!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by TheGodInAGreyHoodie, Nov 5, 2008.

1. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

People work harder when they have hope for success. How serious do you think the Dolphins were in practice week 17 last year? How about the Giants?

One problem that plague the minorities and the poor often is hopelessness.

Last year if you told a black kid, "stay in school, work hard and you can do anything even become POTUS" odds are he would have sarcastically said "yeah, right."

Today if you told a black kid, "stay in school, work hard and you can do anything even become POTUS" odds are he would have enthusiastic said "yeah, right."

I predict we will see a bump in minority high school graduations and less dropouts solely on the hope factor. I see this also leading to less people on public assistance and lower drug use and crime.

No I am not predicting a huge swing over night. But slowly and in little ways I see this as a potential positive effect on our society.

2. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I think the problem of hope plagues all the people at times. The middle class is plagued by lack of hope.

3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +530 / 13 / -14

#24 Jersey

I hate to continue my cynicism but I think this will be a very small factor if any factor at all. Hope dies very quickly when reality strikes. Kids won't stay in school if the parents aren't at home. There may be hope for a day, a week, a month. But before Obama is inaugurated it will be back to the same old, same old IMO. The change has to start with the parents not the hopes of the kids, there's too many easy temptations for the kids.