Welcome to PatsFans.com

A Plan for Action

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by The Gr8est, May 9, 2006.

1. The Gr8est

The Gr8est In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0

I rarely post in the political forum, and have never started a thread here before, but I raised a point in another thread that deserves it's own thread and I don't want the other thread hijacked.

The main point I want to make here is that I think it is time for all voters in this country who really care about the future of this country to use the last legal power we can exercise...VOTE 3rd PARTY!!!

The founding fathers never intended for the political elite in this country to gain the stranglehold on power that they have. The purpose of the Constitution was to limit the power of the federal government.

In the interest of full disclosure I am a conservative who has voted Republican in the past because I see them as the best possibility to govern as I would like. The Democrats have been a lost cause for me a long time ago and they are getting worse. I voted for Bush ( and would do so again if the choice was between Bush and Kerry again, Kerry was not the answer) and have been disappointed in his governing. For the 1st time in modern history the Republicans have contolled both houses as well as the presidency and they have been sorely lacking. They have proven themselves to be no better than the Democrats and I don't see them as the answer to anything. They have outspent the free-spending Democrats which is an amazing feat, and Bush has given up on defending our borders to the point of actually encouraging the crossings with his policies.

The two parties have divided power among themselves since what seems like forever, to the point where they seem to feel it is their right to be the ruling class.

Did the majority of people in this country clamor to be led by Bush, or did the majority of people merely feel that Bush was the better alternative to Kerry? We realistically knew that one or the other would win.

That always seems to be the case, why have generations of families, such as the Bushes and Kennedys always managed to rise to top levels of leadership? Are they superior leaders that everyone clamors to be led by, or is the system so manipluated as to make these results almost inevitable?

Almost everyone has heard about the Skull and Bones organization that has an exclusive membership of the ruling elite who attended Yale.

A rough estimate from the last time I researched it showed that there are roughly 100 living members of the organization. Out of this 100, two managed to face off against each other last election. Yes, George Bush and John Kerry are BOTH members. How did these guys manage to overcome such odds? Strangely enough other members of this organization are George Bush Sr. and his father Preston Bush, as well as John Heinz, ex-husband of Kerry's wife Teresa, ex-president William Taft, Fay Vincent the former baseball commissioner, and Lanny Davis from Clinton's staff.

How do these people always manage to get themselves appointed or elected to such high positions?

I'm running out of time her so I'll get directly to the point. The only solution I see to taking back our country from the elites is to change the way you vote. You can't think that if you vote 3rd party you are helping the opposition. You are, but if you vote for the Democrats or the Republicans you are part of the problem. I think voting in Green Party and Constitution party candidates is better than Democrats or Republicans.

Don't continue to be part of the problem.

Of course if we succed in this we'll see all of the current Democrats with a "G" as their party affiliates and the Republicans will start putting "C" after their names. So be it...it's a good starting point.

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,146 / 5 / -10

If we elect all "Green People" to run our country fine, now do you have any idea what the "Green Folks" will do when the Muslim Terrorists start blowing up our Malls?

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  3. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I agree with your thinking, tho differ on a few points. I for one, do not see this country in the mess we are in if Bush had lost to Gore (in the final analysis). As far as a third party, someone has got to step up. What politician is going to bet everything on being a third party candidate? If this candidate is not from the mainstream, I don't see him/her competing. Anderson did well as did Perot, but never was a serious threat. If a well liked candidate comes forward, what deals are they going to have to make? Would the American people see past the swift boat vets that would Be produced by both major parties? Interesting, hopefully we have some good posts on this subject.

4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

For the last four elections, I have voted third party consistently out of protest for the scam being perpetrated on the American People by the republicrats. The scam is that there are two parties. There are not. It is all the same political and business elite that control the process. The words "democrat" and "republican' are differences without a distinction.

They all speak alike, use the same venues of communications which own and control their actions and words, dress alike, move alike (those idiotic practiced hand gestures) and behave alike once they are elected. Sure there are differences, but they are so insignificant in the big picture that there is no real difference. We still make foolish international treaties and military actions, trade and domestic business is conducted to favor the biggest campaign fund contributors, which are often foreign governments or their surrogates. The People are taxed huge amounts in relation to the services rendered in return. Wars are conducted for special interests using the flesh of our children. We are lied to so often that we think it is normal and expect nothing more.

Variety of opinion is what makes this country. New ideas come out of philosophical conflict. Individual freedom fosters invention and innovative concepts. Presently, we are in a rut. The monopolization of power by the Party has left us stagnant and unable to adapt to many challenges. The founding fathers knew that conditions like this would arise. They built in protections to prevent them from becoming too onerous, but through subtle and illegal manipulation of some relatively minor rules of government and campaigning, the power elite has managed to keep the voices of the People from being heard. Imagine what Washington, Jefferson and Adams would think of modern presidential elections if they travelled through time.

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  5. Blue Collar

Blue Collar 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Im joining the revolution, I still can't believe how bad and fast this county has become...Real bad leadership right now, and the dems are not proposing any solutions to the friggen mess this country is in...Only leaves me with the choice of voting for a third party....

6. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +593 / 24 / -19

First of all, Gr8est, very good post.

But, I think the country's pretty good. Bush is the Carter of the Republican Party. He may, from a conservative point of view, be a good man at heart, but he's not up to the task of running the country. I won't talk about Bush's failures here, because I'm sure you already know what a liberal thinks.

While I could support a third party, I certainly think the Republicans need to be slapped down. Their biggest failing is that they have been a rubber stamp for Bush; they have not exercised their oversight responsibility and have allowed Bush to govern almost like a King. Whether we have one, two, or more parties, we need to have more than one in power because as the saying goes, "power corrupts, absolutely power corrupts absolutely."

I think the Democrats in this cycle will revert to Tip O'Neill's adage that "all politics is local." I don't think the Democrats are going to propose big ideas for the nation, but instead will focus on various local issues. The Democrats had a good idea for the gas crisis, which was to waive the federal gas tax (18 cents) and pay for it by cutting various incentives we give to oil companies. Unfortunately, however, the Democrats can't do much on the national stage, since the Republicans control everything.

Until we have our system of checks and balances back in order, our country will continue its decline. A third party does not have a snowball's chance in hell at this time because both parties are fighting for their lives, and will not provide many openings. That said, it some amazing person comes forward -- who is invulnerable to attack by the slick and manipulative special interest groups -- I could reconsider. The one person who I think would be a possible third party candidate is Colin Powell, if he can ever find the guts to lead, rather than be a soldier.

7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +593 / 24 / -19

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +824 / 27 / -33

I endorse a third party, but it is almost too late to do anything for '08 as there is huge amounts of cash to be raised...what I would like to see the basis of their platform...

1. Campaign Reform
    2. Strong ethical people involved from the top down
    3. Extremely Fiscally responsible, including proposing a completely new tax structure, i.e. flat tax, national sales tax...
    4. Redefining how we deal with the rest of the world
    5. Strong Efficient Military
    6. Homeland Security led by folks who know the business not the right person
    7. Restore States Rights
    8. Respect for each of the branches of gov't and respect their roles..
    9. Not be tied into any specific ideology, i.e. conservative or liberal, but something that adapts to the needs of the people and needs of the times..
    10. Minimize the role of DC in our affairs, downsize the feds in all areas except public safety, security and defense..
    11. Respect the environment, while rewarding those who come up with alternative energies..

This is a dream, right now there is an abyss of leadership in America, just a bunch of egomaniacs who are only concerned about themselves and perpetuating their legacy...

9. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

A third party won't bring any new candidates in. If a person has the propensity to lead he or she will rise to the top of one of the other. What a viable 3rd party will do is make it so every president elected will have to deal with the political reality of something like 70% of the voters having voted against him. When you narrow the field to two candidates prior to the election at least the winner has a 51% mandate. Unless we're talking about Bush of course; but it USUALLY works out that way.

The candidates act the way they do because that's what most Americans are looking for. Basically somebody tall, with nice hair. A hint of silver at the temples is best.

10. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

:confused:
    What exactly did Carter do to screw this country up that even remotely compares to the chimp?

11. The Gr8est

The Gr8est In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0

Interesting article. I'm glad that others are giving the idea some serious thought. My biggest issue with the article is that the list of potential presidential and congressional candidates are Washington veterans. These are exactly the people we are trying to remove from power. The only current incumbant that I like is Tom Coburn, Republican senator from Oklahoma. He has incurred even the wrath of his own party by opposing earmarks, and other pork in general. We need more men like him.

I definitely wouldn't any part of John McCain being part of any reform effort. He is an opportunist politician through and through.

One thing that everyone needs to be mindful of is one or both of the current parties latching on to whatever issue is energizing the population and making it their own issue. Right now that issue may be illegal immigration which is opposed by the vast majrity of the populace, but some form of amnesty seems to be supported by both parties.

How great it would be to see the dumbfounded looks on the faces of the losing candidates as we elect a candidate who supports the issues that the people say are important to them.

Last edited: May 11, 2006