PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A "patriots type player" master list for the 2009 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone pointed out to me, Heatster, BB and Meyer became friends while Meyer was the WR coach under Lou Holtz at ND.

Really? I remember reading an article about BB going down to scout a few defensive players, and Meyer walked up and introduced himself and refused to let BB leave...asking him all kinds of questions about the NFL, motivating players, etc. and was extremely accomodating with access.

Either way, personal friendship aside, I don't think you can put Meyer in with Saban, Hill, Ferentz, Jim Schwartz, Crennell, Pees, or others, since they've never coached together and don't run the same system. Can you ever imagine Meyer telling BB not to draft one of his players? Not me.

I'm really surprised he doesn't work with Ralph Friedgen more, since Maryland also runs a 3-4 defense. I guess it's one-gap, because I don't remember a single Terp being look at seriously.

I'm really surprised he doesn't work with Ralph Friedgen more, since Maryland also runs a 3-4 defense. I guess it's one-gap, because I don't remember a single Terp being look at seriously.
I'm not remembering a lot of Terp defenders ranking very highly in recent drafts, which may be part of the issue. California went to a 3-4 this season and have some Day Two/UDFA prospects to consider, though Zach Follet may work his way into the second round if he measures well at the Combine.

I'm not remembering a lot of Terp defenders ranking very highly in recent drafts, which may be part of the issue. California went to a 3-4 this season and have some Day Two/UDFA prospects to consider, though Zach Follet may work his way into the second round if he measures well at the Combine.

Dre Moore, the Henderson Brothers, Randy Starks, and DQwell Jackson come to mind for linemen and linebackers. Merriman probably would have been had he not been projected so highly.

I'll add a 2nd day Patriot type player. Punter/PK Tom Morestead. He averaged over 5 second hang time. He was a Team captain as sophomore Punter. Who does that? The flexibility of having a backup PK, as well as a great P, if Ghost got hurt is great too. That flexibility is always BB wish.

Fourth rounder like Ghost? :)

Dre Moore, the Henderson Brothers, Randy Starks, and DQwell Jackson come to mind for linemen and linebackers. Merriman probably would have been had he not been projected so highly.
Weren't the Hendersons OL? Jackson is a tackling machine, but I'm still not comfortable with him in BB's version of the 3-4. Merriman wasn't even a factor for NE when he was drafted.

I'll add a 2nd day Patriot type player. Punter/PK Tom Morestead. He averaged over 5 second hang time. He was a Team captain as sophomore Punter. Who does that? The flexibility of having another backup PK, as well as a great P, if Ghost got hurt is great too. That flexibility is always BB wish.

Remember, Welker is also a backup K. :)

Just a thought...I do not have enough post to make a new thread but,

With Scott Pioli now the man in KC....and his relationship with BB and the Pat's I wonder if there would be the possibility of Cassel going to KC in a trade for draft pics. The pick # 3 which could come at a high cost would be good but a their second plus a player such as Safty Bernard Pollard or TE Gonzalez?? Any thoughts??

With Scott Pioli now the man in KC....and his relationship with BB and the Pat's I wonder if there would be the possibility of Cassel going to KC in a trade for draft pics. The pick # 3 which could come at a high cost would be good but a their second plus a player such as Safty Bernard Pollard or TE Gonzalez?? Any thoughts??

I think we'd need to get more. A high second + Gonzo would be a good start...but I think maybe another 2nd in 2010 would be warranted.

First off, Pioli needs to decide if Herm Edwards is a kind of coach who he can respect and who he can collaborate with. If not, then Pioli has to get a HC in there who he can collaborate with ASAP. Personally, I think Edwards sucks as a HC and will get the axe here no later than the SB. After the decision on the HC is made, then they have to evaluate the talent situation. Personally, I think they have 2 good young QBs in Croyle and Thigpen, but with very different styles. Croyle, though, is Edwards binkie. And if Edwards is gone, then it will be up to the new HC and Pioli to decide what direction they go. That being said, I don't believe that KC will be a stop for Cassel. I believe that KC will sign a lot of vet free agents and let things shake out, much the way the Pats did in 2000. It will be a slow process, but in 3 years, I expect the Chiefs to be the top of the AFC West.

First off, Pioli needs to decide if Herm Edwards is a kind of coach who he can respect and who he can collaborate with. If not, then Pioli has to get a HC in there who he can collaborate with ASAP. Personally, I think Edwards sucks as a HC and will get the axe here no later than the SB. After the decision on the HC is made, then they have to evaluate the talent situation. Personally, I think they have 2 good young QBs in Croyle and Thigpen, but with very different styles. Croyle, though, is Edwards binkie. And if Edwards is gone, then it will be up to the new HC and Pioli to decide what direction they go. That being said, I don't believe that KC will be a stop for Cassel. I believe that KC will sign a lot of vet free agents and let things shake out, much the way the Pats did in 2000. It will be a slow process, but in 3 years, I expect the Chiefs to be the top of the AFC West.

First to DryHeat I do agree with if we took the Safety we would need to get an additional second in 2010 aswell but Gonzo would be a nice addition with a second this year.

DB, I have never been a fan of Mr. Coastal Carolina (Thigpen). Too many game late in the year he is just throwing it up deep and was lucky the receivers got under some of those rainbow's. I know he is young and still has room to improve but I really do not like this guy as a QB. What really made me think was reading an article that said that KC has like over 40 mil in salary cap space which would leave room to sign Cassel and still be active on the FA market. I see what you are saying at the end, by building like the Pats did in 2000. I think they had a great draft last year getting a good DT in Dorsey, OL in Albert and CB in Flowers. Pioli has a lot of room to work....too bad KC and Denver are in the AFC but at least they are out west:)

Last edited:
Ralph Friedgen fails, that is why BB wouldn't use him as a scout more often. The guy doesn't know how to recruit, who to recruit, who to play, or what to run.

I'm adding Boise State's Ian Johnson's name to the mix here. He's listed as a RB and had a very productive career. While I don't think he'll amount to much more than a 3rd down back, I swear he looks like a bigger clone of Welker when he's running. I saw him on ESPN and from the little video there was, he looked like he had good hands. He might have a future as a slot receiver/3rd down back and should be there in one of the later day two rounds unless he impresses later.

I'll throw in Clay Matthews name for day 2.

Clay Matthews | USC Scouting Report - 2009 NFL Draft Prospect

"Active with a non-stop motor...Great strength...Excellent pass rusher and blitzer...Super intense and competitive"
"Outstanding special teamer"
"Smart with a great football IQ"

Those are the superlatives that you like to hear and sounds like a BB type of football player.

Last edited:
I'm adding Boise State's Ian Johnson's name to the mix here. He's listed as a RB and had a very productive career. While I don't think he'll amount to much more than a 3rd down back, I swear he looks like a bigger clone of Welker when he's running. I saw him on ESPN and from the little video there was, he looked like he had good hands. He might have a future as a slot receiver/3rd down back and should be there in one of the later day two rounds unless he impresses later.

I'm curous to see what his 40 splits are, as well as his shuttle times. When I watch him play, I see a good football player, but I don't think he has the athleticism to play in the NFL. Especially as a third down back, which tend to be some of the better athletes on the team. He probably maxes out as a special teams player/depth RB.

The best combo PR/KR is the aforementioned Burnett out of UCF. Other names:

Kickoffs - CJ Spiller, Travis Shelton (Temple), AJ Jefferson (Fresno St), Michael Ray Garvin (FSU), Tristan Davis (Auburn), Austin Colle (BYU)

The PR list is heavy with Sophs and Jrs at the top, none of whom I recognize as coming out. The exceptions are DJ Moore (Vandy), Robert Dunn (Auburn), and Michael Thomas (Arizona)

If Spiller can also fill a backup/RB role and be a kick returner, wouldn't he be worth a shot in round 4? Adding speed usually never hurts.

If Spiller can also fill a backup/RB role and be a kick returner, wouldn't he be worth a shot in round 4? Adding speed usually never hurts.

Yes, if he lasted that long, absolutely. However, he's staying in school.

If DJ Moore can be top 3 CB and be an elite punt returner, he's definitely worth a look if he slips to Round 2.

Last edited:
What about Asher Allen (CB Georgia)? He's an undersized corner with good coverage skills and can return kicks (IE a prototype Pats corner). He is also a Junior so should be around late in the second round or even the third. I haven't seen much of him and don't know anything about chracter etc. Anyone know more?

Spiller did not declare. He's going back to school.

I'll throw in Clay Matthews name for day 2.

Clay Matthews | USC Scouting Report - 2009 NFL Draft Prospect

"Active with a non-stop motor...Great strength...Excellent pass rusher and blitzer...Super intense and competitive"
"Outstanding special teamer"
"Smart with a great football IQ"

Those are the superlatives that you like to hear and sounds like a BB type of football player.

I'm right there with you on the bandwagon. With Herzlich staying in school, Matthews is the LB I want the Pats to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back