PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A "patriots type player" master list for the 2009 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the CB position, I like A. Smith of Wke Forest as a BB type CB.

Smaller, super quick twitch, intelligent, decent in run support, ST experience and most important he has outstanding ball skills.

How about drawing up some kind of measurements chart (sorry, that's the best way I could put it) for each position, height weight, 40 time etc, and then look at players who fit those measurements? I say that as we do seem to draft players who fit size and weight requirements.

O-line for example, we don't do the massive road-grader types (as BOR reminded me last month), our linemen tend to be tall and quite big, but not gigantic (apart from in O'Callaghan's case), and they must be mobile.

How about drawing up some kind of measurements chart (sorry, that's the best way I could put it) for each position, height weight, 40 time etc, and then look at players who fit those measurements? I say that as we do seem to draft players who fit size and weight requirements.

O-line for example, we don't do the massive road-grader types (as BOR reminded me last month), our linemen tend to be tall and quite big, but not gigantic (apart from in O'Callaghan's case), and they must be mobile.

I do this religiously, but it's not possible this early in the season. A lot of the numbers that are really predictive for the Pats don't come out until the Combine & pro-days. E.g. 3-cone and shuttle times for DBs, vertical jump for OLs, etc.

2 OL that seem like Pats guys. I wouldn't have had a problem drafting R.Clady last
year. Am thrilled with Mayo. But, we're going to take an OL sooner or later. If we can
get a first for Cassel. I ol and cb would be great.

Jason Smith - Baylor - Athletic OL, recruited as a TE and has bulked up. Member of
Baylor leadership Academy. Whatever that is. Seems like a good prospect.

Eben Britton - Arizona - Early entry. Honors student. 6'6" 310lb. Another athletic guy.

One more guy. How can you not like this name?

Bear Pascoe - TE - Fresno St 6'6" 258. Scout.com says throwback TE. With
P.Hill connection why not. Does the rodeo thing too like
L.Mankins. Given 1st name McKenna. But, goes by Bear.

I remember on one of the highlight videos being amazed to see Mankins running ahead of Faulk, and faster :eek:, looking for someone to block. [Amusingly, he couldn't find anyone. :)]

One more guy. How can you not like this name?

Bear Pascoe - TE - Fresno St 6'6" 258. Scout.com says throwback TE. With
P.Hill connection why not. Does the rodeo thing too like
L.Mankins. Given 1st name McKenna. But, goes by Bear.

And former HS QB, too. :)

A player to watch on day two of the draft is DB Jerraud Powers. He's been called an overachiever, a leader and has what the Pats brass evidently looks for... bada-bing-bada boom....he's 5'9.

On a serious note, he had a very good game against the Gators and was named SEC Player Of The Week for his efforts.

I think Box likes Barwin for ILB next to Mayo, not OLB. I could be wrong though.

Great discussion so far everyone, I love it.

A guy that I have had my eye on and seems like a great fit for the pats is:
WR: Jordan Shipley, Texas

He is a hard working over achiever that I think would be a great fit for the role gaffney has had for the last few years. Has the mindset and work ethic of Welker. Has experience as a kick returner and catches everything thrown his way. He is willing to go over the middle but has the speed to stretch the field. Not huge, only 6'0" tall, but I think would be a great fit here.

Great discussion so far everyone, I love it.

A guy that I have had my eye on and seems like a great fit for the pats is:
WR: Jordan Shipley, Texas

He is a hard working over achiever that I think would be a great fit for the role gaffney has had for the last few years. Has the mindset and work ethic of Welker. Has experience as a kick returner and catches everything thrown his way. He is willing to go over the middle but has the speed to stretch the field. Not huge, only 6'0" tall, but I think would be a great fit here.

Unfortunately, Burnt Orange > Flying Elvis here--Shipley got a sixth(!) year of eligibility at Texas. :(

I think Box likes Barwin for ILB next to Mayo, not OLB. I could be wrong though.

I love Barwin for both SILB and OLB. He's the kind of player who I think could be a playmaker in a lot of places. Where I'd put him would probably depend on which holes needed filling the most.

I'd like to see us draft 2 first day LB prospects. If we drafted Barwin and an ILB (like Spikes, or even Maualuga if he falls) then I'd put him outside. If we drafted Barwin and a DE/OLB candidate (Orapko, Brown, Hardy, Johnson, Maybin) then I'd move him inside to SILB. The same holds true for Clint Sintim, whom I think could play both inside or out.

Name: Connor Barwin
Compares to: Mike Vrabel
College: Cincinnati
Height: 6-4 Weight: 255
Position: DE Pos2: TE/H-back/LB
40 Time: 4.64
Projected Round: 2
Rated number 4 out of 203 DE's

Playing in the 2009 Under Armour Senior Bowl.

Barwin, a converted tight end playing his first season on defense averaged almost a sack per game (0.9), leading UC and the BIG EAST, while ranking 16th nationally. His 11 sacks were two off the school record of 13, set a year ago. He finished with 53 tackles, 16 which went for a loss. He blocked three punts, broke up eight passes, and had seven quarterback hurries. He also had a 1-yard touchdown reception in UC's win over USF on Oct. 30.

2007 Season: A standout on special teams, as well as a key player in the tight end rotation...played in 12 games...31 receptions for 399 yards, including two touchdowns...named UC's Special Teams Player of the Week after blocking a punt and recovering a fumbled punt return at USF...collected seven grabs for 86 yards, including a 26-yard catch and run, in the Papajohns.com Bowl.

2006 Season: Saw action in all 13 games as a regular on special teams and alternate at the tight end position...played in 23 games as a walk-on for the basketball team...Bearcat Academic Honor Roll (Winter 2007).

2005 Season: One of two first-year freshmen to see action on offense...played in all 11 games as a backup tight end...joined the basketball team in early January...saw action in each of the final 16 games as a backup to the forward positions.

NE Fit: Barwin demonstrated great ball awareness at DE and showed good athleticism to cover RBs out of the backfield and play up on his feet along the LOS to disrupt the blocking assignments. As a rookie he can immediately contribute as a reserve TE and on Special Teams while he learns to play LB. As a TE he's a willing blocker in line and did a good job blocking in a goal line series against Pittsburgh. He projects well as an OLB and like Vrabel may also crosstrain as an ILB. He certainly looked the part of Vrabel on his TD reception and his goal line blocking.

He will need to get stronger, improve his hand use and his coverage skills, but there may be an advantage to his lack of experience on defense - fewer bad habits to correct. Virginia Tech was able to neutralize him in the Orange Bowl, though UC's defense was playing with a handicap after their QB threw 4 interceptions. He may not be a star in the NFL, but he's the kind of blue collar player to carry on the standards set by Vrabel, Brown, Faulk, Bruschi, Harrison...

FWIW, sat next to him at an Orange Bowl event where he gave a speech and his personality is definitely Vrabel-like - seems to be a joker who is intelligent and very well liked by his teammates. He mentioned that the coach told him to convert to defense because he could be the best DE in the country if he worked at it. Never seen him play but his size, speed, and versatility certainly make him an intriguing prospect.

With the Connor Barwin lovefest starting already, I thought I'd take a look and see where various "experts" are projecting him at this stage:

#46 NFLDraftScout
#65 National Football Post
#69 The Huddle Report
#82 DraftCountdown

Out of top 100:
Great Blue North
FFJungle
Consensus Draft Services

That will doubtless tighten up over time (probably toward the higher end), but I do think Barwin is going to be one of the more unpredictable players in terms of draft slot. It's unusual to find a guy with sky-high physical talent and intangibles and so little actual experience, let alone trying to project him to a different position in the NFL.

It's unusual to find a guy with sky-high physical talent and intangibles and so little actual experience,

cassel_pats.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back