Welcome to PatsFans.com

A partial mystery solved re: the third quarterback rule

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by ctpatsfan77, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +205 / 4 / -5

In the gamebook for the game,

the roster lists:

In other words, in order for Edelman to fill the emergency QB role, they actually had to list him as a QB.

The question this raises, in my mind, is whether or not this would have been allowed if he were wearing a number in the 80s, which would NOT be a valid QB number (they have to be in the 1-19 range). My guess is that they wouldn't.
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  2. plk

plk Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

If memory serves, at one point Troy Brown was the third QB. i don't remember a number change.
  3. ctpatsfan77

Ratings:
    +205 / 4 / -5

Brown took snaps under center—there's no prohibition against that—but AFAIK he was never the "inactive but dressed" QB.
  4. Ryan

Ryan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Why was he inactive in the first place?
  5. ctpatsfan77

Ratings:
    +205 / 4 / -5

Because apparently he got dinged up enough in the JEST game that he wasn't able to practice on Wednesday or Friday, and was limited on Saturday.
  6. Ryan

Ryan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh, I see. I didn't really follow the news this week. Thanks for the info.
  7. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

That's not really accurate. The only reason why he was listed as "3QB" in the gamebook was because he was, well, named the 3rd Quarterback in the inactive list. That can be any player; if Bret Lockett was named the "3rd QB," then he would be listed as "3QB Bret Lockett" in the gamebook...
  8. ctpatsfan77

Ratings:
    +205 / 4 / -5

But we don't know that Bret Lockett—who wears a number that does not correspond to a QB—can be used as the third quarterback.

When someone can show me a 3QB who wears a number a QB isn't legally allowed to wear (i.e., 20 or higher), I'll gladly cede the point.
  9. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

I don't think the number is of much consequence. In other words, I don't think if Edelman wore #80 instead, he wouldn't be able to be the 3rd QB.
  10. Pats726

Pats726 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

That is an interesting point..if numbers for QBs are in the teens and below then how could another player who does not have a number in that range be listed as a QB?? Is that not a rules infraction..or potentially so? I think it's a legitimate point...although I do wonder if CoachB brought him in as a WR in the 4th how that would have been..
    In a way, teams could list ANY player as a QB, and bring that player in in the 4th Quarter...a sneaky way of getting 54 players involved..so i sense that doing that the spirit of the rule would be totally circumvented.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.