ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
In the gamebook for the game,

the roster lists:

== Inactives ==

3QB 11 J.Edelman

In other words, in order for Edelman to fill the emergency QB role, they actually had to list him as a QB.

The question this raises, in my mind, is whether or not this would have been allowed if he were wearing a number in the 80s, which would NOT be a valid QB number (they have to be in the 1-19 range). My guess is that they wouldn't.

Last edited:
If memory serves, at one point Troy Brown was the third QB. i don't remember a number change.

If memory serves, at one point Troy Brown was the third QB. i don't remember a number change.

Brown took snaps under center—there's no prohibition against that—but AFAIK he was never the "inactive but dressed" QB.

Why was he inactive in the first place?

Because apparently he got dinged up enough in the JEST game that he wasn't able to practice on Wednesday or Friday, and was limited on Saturday.

Because apparently he got dinged up enough in the JEST game that he wasn't able to practice on Wednesday or Friday, and was limited on Saturday.

Oh, I see. I didn't really follow the news this week. Thanks for the info.

In the gamebook for the game,

the roster lists:

In other words, in order for Edelman to fill the emergency QB role, they actually had to list him as a QB.

The question this raises, in my mind, is whether or not this would have been allowed if he were wearing a number in the 80s, which would NOT be a valid QB number (they have to be in the 1-19 range). My guess is that they wouldn't.

That's not really accurate. The only reason why he was listed as "3QB" in the gamebook was because he was, well, named the 3rd Quarterback in the inactive list. That can be any player; if Bret Lockett was named the "3rd QB," then he would be listed as "3QB Bret Lockett" in the gamebook...

Last edited:
That's not really accurate. The only reason why he was listed as "3QB" in the gamebook was because he was, well, named the 3rd Quarterback in the inactive list. That can be any player; if Bret Lockett was named the "3rd QB," then he would be listed as "3QB Bret Lockett" in the gamebook...

But we don't know that Bret Lockett—who wears a number that does not correspond to a QB—can be used as the third quarterback.

When someone can show me a 3QB who wears a number a QB isn't legally allowed to wear (i.e., 20 or higher), I'll gladly cede the point.

But we don't know that Bret Lockett—who wears a number that does not correspond to a QB—can be used as the third quarterback.

When someone can show me a 3QB who wears a number a QB isn't legally allowed to wear (i.e., 20 or higher), I'll gladly cede the point.

I don't think the number is of much consequence. In other words, I don't think if Edelman wore #80 instead, he wouldn't be able to be the 3rd QB.

Last edited:
That is an interesting point..if numbers for QBs are in the teens and below then how could another player who does not have a number in that range be listed as a QB?? Is that not a rules infraction..or potentially so? I think it's a legitimate point...although I do wonder if CoachB brought him in as a WR in the 4th how that would have been..
In a way, teams could list ANY player as a QB, and bring that player in in the 4th Quarter...a sneaky way of getting 54 players involved..so i sense that doing that the spirit of the rule would be totally circumvented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back