PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A note about what happened.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still can't help but wonder why people do such things as attack an NFL fan website. What is wrong with these people? Are they still angry that mommy forgot to tuck them in ONE TIME when they were children?? It really baffles me....

Brady'sButtBoy said:
I still can't help but wonder why people do such things as attack an NFL fan website. What is wrong with these people? Are they still angry that mommy forgot to tuck them in ONE TIME when they were children?? It really baffles me....
Many times it's an attempt just to get the server, any server, to help with a DDOS (distributed denial of service) attack. If they're working on a DDOS, the more servers they have, the better. It takes quite a few servers to mount an attack big enough to shut down a big boy like Microsoft or Yahoo.

(Edit: or maybe they were just Dolts fans :D )

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
And I was posting brilliant threads all day. wondering why I couldn't read them or no one replied.:)

Huh? I couldn't even access the forum. Got an error message.

pats1 said:
Huh? I couldn't even access the forum. Got an error message.

correction: I was typing them, not posting them- my best work so far.

And I did forget to thank IAN fo getting us back. Too bad you couldn't have save the Carolina Cheerleader thread. I know that you wore your fingers to the knuckles trying.

Last edited:
Gumby said:
Ian,

Firstoff: A MEGA HUGE THANKS for all you do to keep this site up and running. Much like Hurricane season in N.O.; an event like this gives you a chance to appreciate exactly what you have with the best Football Fan site on the planet.

:eat3:

Second: My personal apologies if I generated an automatic email to the admin every single time I fervently tried to login yesterday. Your box probably has about 10,000 emails just from all of us refreshing every 60 seconds. :D
I second both parts. Ian, you're the best.

It was like holding my breath under water too long.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Oh

My

Gawd.

This means the infamous cheerleader thread is no more.

Oh the humanity.

I'm sure someone can/will start that one up again. :)

Thanks Ian for getting this great site up and running again and congrats to our Pats for a great win over Tampa!

NEM said:
Actually, it made for a very rough day. I actually had to go over to PatriotsPlanet and try to get banned there, too. I didn't.
oh stop, you old fart.....

you've been on your bestest behaviour over there....very Zen NEM-like I must say. I [RoadGrader] was watching you ;)

sorry Ian for your troubles as I was one of those multiple-refreshers without knowing I might be piling up the e-mail notices :eek:

pats1 said:
No problem, Ian!

(I had fun poking sticks at IndyStar yesterday :D)

LOL - seems like lots of Pats fans had the same idea. :bricks:

The next best thing to discussing the Colts IMPERFECTIONS here was watching the stunned disbelief turn to rationalizations over there. It was like a double header too - watching them witness their pony's get kicked around badly in the first half, only to to have the Bolts typically spit the bit and let them up off the mat in the 3rd quarter, then trample them back down in the end. And in their beloved HOME FIELD DOME where they persist in believing them to be invincible.

:scared:

Ian, thanks for getting us up and running again. The loss of the history of the past posts is a tragedy, but we have to move on to the future and make our own history again. Paul

Ian said:
The server we were on came under a Denial of Service Attack over the weekend, shutting down the NFLFans.com server that we share which caused a loss of our database. As you can see the posts appear underneath, however they're unreadable as we've been unable to restore them.

Your member accounts all still exist to the best of my knowledge, so all functionality should be restored. I apologize for the inability to restore the posts, as of 1:54am ET on Sunday we haven't been able to bring them back as the last back-up of the databases were also corrupt.

Needless to say we're back up and running, but it's disappointing that the posts are gone despite our best efforts. Hopefully everyone understands as we've done all we can. I'm calling it a night, thanks for all the e-mails. My PM box is full, so if anyone wants to contact me go here if you need anything:

http://www.patsfans.com/contact/

Thanks again,

Ian

Your website is very important to any Patriot fan. I know that I value your talents. Keep up the great work. Other than profootballtalk.com this is my favorite sports related site.

Ian -
Thank you for the update. You really do a fantastic job running this site. You also have a great group of moderators who help keep the site clean of trolls. I regularly tell people to come here for information on the Pats.

Thanks for everything you do.

PATSNUTme said:
And I was posting brilliant threads all day. wondering why I couldn't read them or no one replied.:)
OH
MY
GOD
Is that you in that new Dunkin Donut's commercial? LMAO!!! I love that one! :singing:

Check the 3rd post on "What they should do to the jerks....." from NovaScotiaPatsFan for an interesting article on this type of attack. At the end the author gives a couple of instructions to find out if your computer could be an inadvertant slave to these weasels.

I know of a couple of other message boards that are "powered by Vbuelltin" that are down. At least one of them won't be back up and running until next year. Kudos to you Ian for getting this site back up so fast.

Ian,

Thanks for your effort to get back up as soon as possible. Really missed the board.

I just have one question.
They told you it was "Denial of Service Attack".That
stops access to your web site. Does a "Denial of Service Attack" also
destroy databases?

Last edited:
good work restoring it Ian. I thought it was overloaded from all the other teams fans writing in at once to say they were busy eating crow, and how good we looked beating the Bucs every which way to Sunday.

It sucks. There are still a couple of tables that are corrupt that I can't seem to fix, and a few issues as well making life difficult.

Hackers suck :explative:

Ian

BelichickFan said:
Thanks for getting us back ASAP . . . 24 hours was a long time to go without patsfans.com but at least the Colts lost in the meantime :)

yeha that made it all better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots