PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Nickel Package Without Wilhite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QB12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Please tell me Wilhite won't be covering Jordan Shipley. As a Texas-ex who's watched a ton of Longhorn football, there's no way Wilhite can effectively cover Shipley. Please tell me we have another nickel back besides Wilhite. Maybe Page can knock the crap out of Shipley off the LOS?

Someone? Anyone?

QB12

Last edited:
I'd be more worried about the guys trying to cover Ocho, but whatever. Lets tear into Whilite some more.

I'm not even worried.
Wilhite can cover Shipley, easily. Wilhite is underated in this forum, he isn't that bad, he just isn't a nfl starter caliber cb.

I'm not even worried.
Wilhite can cover Shipley, easily. Wilhite is underated in this forum, he isn't that bad, he just isn't a nfl starter caliber cb.

When I read your post, and closed my eyes, all I could envision was Wilhite being in perfect position, running with the WR while the WR easily makes the catch. That, to me, is Wilhite.

When I read your post, and closed my eyes, all I could envision was Wilhite being in perfect position, running with the WR while the WR easily makes the catch. That, to me, is Wilhite.

Seems like a pretty fair assessment at this point. Too bad we lost the chance to have one of Butler or DMc manning the slot.

It's a performance driven league, and unfortunately for Wilhite, his has been lacking by most quantifiable means. That and subjectively by my eyes, he's always burnt or covering up for one with a penalty.

I hope he does well, but I (as well) feel he is a weak link on this D. Just another example of how any injury (Bodden's in this case) hurts you indirectly as well.

In any case, trial by fire will settle the case of his abilities soon enough.

Who are you envisioning? Reggie Wayne, Brandon Marshall, Marques Colston, Andre Johnson? Your "dream" makes sense. But you're forgeting, that Jordan Shipley, is a rockie, a slot guy(no need to run a lot), who was only drafted because he was in Texas.

Last edited:
Please tell me Wilhite won't be covering Jordan Shipley. As a Texas-ex who's watched a ton of Longhorn football, there's no way Wilhite can effectively cover Shipley. Please tell me we have another nickel back besides Wilhite. Maybe Page can knock the crap out of Shipley off the LOS?

Someone? Anyone?

QB12

Relax.

Ive been told by a Coach and all around PF.Com expert that its all taken care of.

You see, Shipley is a rookie and they dont do jack.

Who are you envisioning? Reggie Wayne, Brandon Marshall, Marques Colston, Andre Johnson? You're "dream" makes sense. But you're forgeting, that Jordan Shipley, is a rockie, a slot guy(no need to run a lot), who was only drafted because he was in Texas.

I don't think he was *only* drafted because he was a Longhorn. Shipley impressed in his time at Texas. Going by the eye test, he's a solid route runner and has soft hands. He's not your traditional burner, but he's deceptively fast. He ran the 40 in 4.47.

Overall, I haven't been impressed at all with Wilhite. I'm hoping that Wheatley showed enough in preseason to leap frog him as the nickelback. However, if we have to put Wilhite on Shipley, I wouldn't be scared. The bottom line is whether or not we get to Palmer. The Bengals have a lot of weapons in the passing game, but their O-Line has looked horrible in the preseason. I'm fairly confident that we should be able to get enough pressure on him to disrupt their passing game.

Who are you envisioning? Reggie Wayne, Brandon Marshall, Marques Colston, Andre Johnson? You're "dream" makes sense. But you're forgeting, that Jordan Shipley, is a rockie, a slot guy(no need to run a lot), who was only drafted because he was in Texas.

Good point. I guess my post was addressing your "underrated" claim. I mean he is serviceable. He's not nearly as bad as 2008 Deltha O'Neal, but I'm not sure he's underrated.

Wilhite's the starting nickleback, and, number one back up. Wheately, who I don't think will even be active for sunday, may become our #1 backup when healthy, but I'm not so sure he would supplant Wilhite at nickel.

I think Arrington is the 4th (and last healthy) CB for week one, and I'd actually be stoked to see him come in on dime packages. If he's put in the right position he can lay the wood. And he's from Hofstra.:D

I'm not even worried.

Opposing QBs had a QB rating of 115 against Wilhite last year. For comparison, against Bodden, it was in the 59 range; it was 67 for Butler.

2009 Patriots Pass Coverage Analysis - Pats Pulpit

So he doesn't just look like he's getting burnt with regularity, he really is. Statistically speaking, with an opposing QB rating of 115, Wilhite makes the average QB we face look like Brady in 2007.

Last edited:
Opposing QBs had a QB rating of 115 against Wilhite last year. For comparison, against Bodden, it was in the 59 & 67 for Butler.

2009 Patriots Pass Coverage Analysis - Pats Pulpit

So he doesn't just look like he's getting burnt with regularity he is. Statistically speaking, with an opposing QB rating of 115, Wilhite makes the average QB we face look like Brady in 2007.

That rating would pretty much support the eye test.

That rating would pretty much support the eye test.

Yup.

And for comparison sake, that link shows Revis had a startling 29 rating. Yikes. And again, that passes the eye test.

Good point. I guess my post was addressing your "underrated" claim. I mean he is serviceable. He's not nearly as bad as 2008 Deltha O'Neal, but I'm not sure he's underrated.

I'm not sure he's underrated, but I do believe he's improperly criticized. People talk about him getting burned, when usually he's nearby, just doesn't make the play on the ball. Same result, so it's fair to say he's ineffective, but at least criticize the right part of his game (not speaking to you specifically).

Someone? Anyone?

QB12

You want a back up safety to cover a shifty slot guy? You think he has the quickness for that? CBs are really the only choice to cover slot guys. ever see Welker guarded by a S or LB, its just such a mismatch. As somebody said earlier, hes still better than Deltha, who was a starting CB in '08. Yes, hes not great, thats why he (ideally) just plays in sub packages.
Did anybody really expect him to be an all-star after being drafted in the 4th round? We cant expect every 4th round CB to turn into A$ante.

Im much more worried how our starting D & O lines hold up over the course of the season than who one of our sub-package players are

Last edited:
Yeah, there'll be some passing yards against this team, and Wilhite will get toasted a few times as will the other CB's. But its no different than a lot of other teams around the league.

Not too many people are talking about how Dhani "yes, it smells" Jones and Pacman haven't been an NFL caliber starters for years, if Pacman ever was.... I can't wait to see him cover Welker and Edelman. Dhani Jones is going to sniff more jock straps trying to cover Faulk and Morris on 3rd down. Roy Williams couldn't cover before he hurt is ankle, and he will be softened up nicely by our TE's. Their other safety will be playing over the top to help out on Moss. Tate will have single coverage all day long. I see Brady destroying this secondary, hitting 8 different receivers and throwing for 3 TD's at least. I'm not even worried about Benson, as Cinci is going to be playing catch up all day long.

But back to Wilhite...yeah, I'm pretty sure that Mcourty was drafted to start at LCB, and let Butler move to nickel, providing an instant upgrade, but we'll have to wait another year at least to find out.

Last edited:
I expect Page to spy on Shipley or Gresham out of the nickel or dime.

I think Page can take care of Gresham....BUT I am concerned about only 3 CBs...Arrington the 4th...REALLY not very good...Arrington COULD be..but not now..I am wondering if Miller or Carter might be a choice.up from the PSquad..At least another giving some depth....If I were the Cinci OC, I'd go 4 wide and send Gresham out as well...find a match up a.exploit that..

I think Page can take care of Gresham....BUT I am concerned about only 3 CBs...Arrington the 4th...REALLY not very good...Arrington COULD be..but not now..I am wondering if Miller or Carter might be a choice.up from the PSquad..At least another giving some depth....If I were the Cinci OC, I'd go 4 wide and send Gresham out as well...find a match up a.exploit that..

I think with their offensive line, that might get Palmer killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down